Gonna give FF a try

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Any ideas re problem posting pictures here ?

I tried yesterday to post several pictures of Molly running towards me
All were saved correctly in portrait orientation on photos on my ipad
However when I tried to post them here to demonstrate how the tracking did a good job of focussing on her as she ran towards me they appeared incorrectly (ie sideways)
Despite deleting and repeating the excercise several times they still came out wrong - does anyone know why this happens please ?
They were taken in portrait on the camera
It's been seen before - I recollect that if you upload the same image via a PC/Mac the issue goes away.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Any ideas re problem posting pictures here ?

I tried yesterday to post several pictures of Molly running towards me
All were saved correctly in portrait orientation on photos on my ipad
However when I tried to post them here to demonstrate how the tracking did a good job of focussing on her as she ran towards me they appeared incorrectly (ie sideways)
Despite deleting and repeating the excercise several times they still came out wrong - does anyone know why this happens please ?
They were taken in portrait on the camera
Happens to me when using mobile too. Try the slightest of edits to the file (crop, horizon, exposure etc) and save on device before uploading again. It seems to correct the orientation issues for me.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Thanks @Brownie

I am going full frame partly to get better low light performance for Speedway next year which will enable me to continue shooting longer into the evening at events which start at 19.00 and continue until 21.30

Many thanks for your kind comments re Molly
She is 11 and has additional needs / learning difficulties so she struggles with schooling etc and is quite heavily dependant upon us
She is always a joy to have around and bring up and I couldn’t be more proud of her :thumbup:
I love her to bits🥰
She has always been a happy little girl and is (almost) always smiling and laughing - we have a good sense of humour here and she has picked that up along with a great sense of fun which I’d like to agree is at least partly down to me and my wife Hannah :)
Regarding full frame, the one reason I keep thinking about it is exactly the same. If the races get delayed and it gets dark I need more room. After least season I bought a 15 1.7 and a Samyang 85 1.4 to go along with my P 25 and a Rokkor 1.2. Due to COVID I didn't get a chance to try them under that strict set of circumstances. I recall last season walking away from the track while the Canikons stayed and shot. It was frustrating. However, my journey has taken a different tack. I am buying up old Minolta A mount lenses. Looking mostly for the highly rated ones, but bought a few of the cheapies to play with. Temporarily they're serving as glass for a Sony A700 I am experimenting with. Eventually they could launch me into a FF Sony A mount body. FF on the cheap.

Regarding Molly, God bless her and your family. We too have an offspring with needs, it is difficult and a challenge.

@RichardC same sentiment to you and yours.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My experience with high ISO has been that it is not very visible shooting field games (football, soccer and lacrosse). But it is visible when shooting gym games (basketball and volleyball).
I suspect this is because on the field, there is an uneven textured background, so noise is hard to see. Whereas in the gym, the background is smooth monotone and easy to see any noise.

Real Name
Roddy
Well, we're close here to signing both sets of papers for our house move, and of course the prospect of some loose change has made the FF itch worse. I'm pretty sure I want a crack at FF for two things - low light landscapes and indoor tennis. I'd keep the better parts of my m4/3 system, and even add the O60 at some stage, but I fear on the racecourse that the Nikon Z5 seems to be pulling ahead of the Panny S5 in the FF stakes. My idea of the GFX 50R is falling behind, very hampered by the fiscal weight of the lenses. Let's wait three months and see what happens..... I wonder if i will have enough change left over to try and find that PL55-200 at last, as well.....

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
Well, we're close here to signing both sets of papers for our house move, and of course the prospect of some loose change has made the FF itch worse. I'm pretty sure I want a crack at FF for two things - low light landscapes and indoor tennis. I'd keep the better parts of my m4/3 system, and even add the O60 at some stage, but I fear on the racecourse that the Nikon Z5 seems to be pulling ahead of the Panny S5 in the FF stakes. My idea of the GFX 50R is falling behind, very hampered by the fiscal weight of the lenses. Let's wait three months and see what happens..... I wonder if i will have enough change left over to try and find that PL55-200 at last, as well.....
Are you downsizing Roddy or moving to somewhere more amenable to allowing your superstar sportsperson her quest for glory?
Either way I hope all goes smoothly and you have a little change left over for some new goodies.

Real Name
Roddy
@Macroramphosis Roddy, there are lots of hidden expenses that occur because of moving house.

Just bear that in mind until things settle down.

We moved about 14 years ago, and are now in the middle of spending $50K plus on house maintenance.

Just FWIW ... :hide:.
Ha! This'll be our 12th move in about 25 years, John. I really could write a book about How To Move. This move is just down the road, though, just 20 mins away. It's a real 'downsizer' and we win on all counts. It's a newer house too, built in 1820 instead of our current dwelling, which has a date of 1790 over the door. I'm looking forward to doorways with an inch more height, a door sill, and more rings in the walls for horses. The archway fits a proper carriage as well, a two-horse with roof. And the new one has a well that works - the bucket is a wind-up job as against a thrower on a rope :)

Real Name
Roddy
Are you downsizing Roddy or moving to somewhere more amenable to allowing your superstar sportsperson her quest for glory?
Either way I hope all goes smoothly and you have a little change left over for some new goodies.
Downsizing due to creatures fleeing the nest, and a move closer to a major thoroughfare that will knock an hour off extended trips across France. We only have a 16 year-old at school now, and with Mrs M and the Champ away on the road a lot (when things return to normal) I am currently left alone to rattle like an old nut all day long in what is currently a much larger offering with far too much work to do in a green space that no one visits (except for some doddery old fart with a camera who appears occasionally muttering to himself as he crawls with muddy knees through the flowerbeds looking for ants and things. Bizarre behaviour.....it really is).

New place also has a huge river - 25' downhill and 50m away (floods always go the other way across a bank into farmland). It's a busy village, with more to do for gîte guests. Great place for a photographic week. When we are up and running again I'll send you a link so you can come and visit :) I am not sure all our current clientele and their bookings will move with us, so we may have a couple of weeks free in the summer. If there is a Covid-free summer, that is.

The new pad is about 30' away from where I took this photo. At the time the house was not even for sale....

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
I secretly expected you to move just a tad further away from that care home next door to you, as you are getting on a bit yourself. :whistling:
I'm so glad you're finally moving into the 19th Century Roddy.
Keep a look out for those new-fangled wooden tennis rackets and pinhole cameras to spend your bonus money on.
Cheers, Brian (not sure who John is?).

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
@Robstar1963 , glad to hear you’re getting along well with the Z6.

I think you’ll really be pleased with the Z6’s low light/high ISO performance at the track. I will shoot my Z6 at 12,800 and find that the noise cleans up very well after being run through DXO’s PRIME noise reduction.

Real Name
Roddy
I secretly expected you to move just a tad further away from that care home next door to you, as you are getting on a bit yourself. :whistling:
I'm so glad you're finally moving into the 19th Century Roddy.
Keep a look out for those new-fangled wooden tennis rackets and pinhole cameras to spend your bonus money on.
Cheers, Brian (not sure who John is?).
'John' is John King, who my reply was directed in response to his post before yours. I suspect my ramblings all blend into one.....lol

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Warning, fast long focal length FF lenses are MUCH bigger and heavier than equivalent m4/3 lenses.
I think you are using a 60mm lens of your m4/3, so that is about a 120mm FF lens.
Problem: Nikon does not make a Z 105/2.5 nor 135/2.8 prime. But Nikon has an 85/1.8, if you can get close enough (similar to a 42mm m4/3 lens). Otherwise, you are backed into the 70-200/2.8 zoom.
I got the 70-200/4 lens, because the f/2.8 lens was too heavy for me to handle, for the 5-6 hours of shooting two sequential field games (football, soccer, lacrosse).​
If you can use a monopod, that will help rest your arms when you use a 70-200/2.8.​
Sigma has the DX F mount 50-100/1.8, but I do not know IF and how well it works on the Z cameras in DX mode. I think it does not have IS/VR, so you need IBIS.

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
'John' is John King, who my reply was directed in response to his post before yours. I suspect my ramblings all blend into one.....lol
Sorry Roddy, got a bit of word blindness in there somehow.
And apologies to John too, though I always think of him as his Lordship, with his masterful knowledge. :bowdown:

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I looked at the Pana S5 but two things put me off
1. Panasonic’s persistence with CDAF / DFD and not implementing PDAF - I really don’t know how they can justify continuing like this in the case of the competition. I know the Z6 hasn’t got a brilliant reputation for AF but I’m sure having hybrid AF must put it above the S5 but perhaps I’m wrong ?
2. Reduced size EVF - the EVF is great on the Z6 (same specs on Z5 I believe) large screen and the eyepiece is set quite a way back off from the surface of the screen so that you have room for your nose

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom