Gone Fishing. A dads & sons weekend.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Livnius, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Hi all.

Weekend before last was Melbourne Cup long weekend here and with that, it was time for our tradition lads weekend away to Falls Creek up in the Victorian alpine country. What started about 18 years ago as a fishing trip for myself and and 2 mates as a break from university has over the course of time morphed into an opportunity for us to take our boys into the bush for some 'man time'. Fishing, camp fires, making sling shots, Jameson scotch whiskey and the satellite being glued to the sports channel :drinks:

It was also an opportunity for myself to get some quality time shooting. Didnt quite turn out that way because for 3 out of 4 days we had horrific weather....high winds, rain, fog, sleet, rain, and some more rain. As if trying to shoot in those conditions as a newbie wasn't bad enough...I had to set-up and maintain camp every day, make sure the fire was lit, keep food and drink supplies stocked, ensure the newer additions and their sons had their gear and fishing tackle in check and of course, keep the kids safe, dry, warm and most importantly, AWAY from their damned electric gadgets :smile:

Still, we were lucky to have a splendid last day and I got some shooting in. Even though i got barely a fraction of the shooting time i was hoping for, it was an experience none the less and I learnt a few things about managing my gear in such circumstances and the importance of becoming familiar with your equipment, its capabilities and limitations so as to not waste time fiddling in the field. I also learnt that I tend to 'rush' my shots a little...again, with experience I hope to develop the discipline to just take a breath and calm down a little to compose and steady my shots a little better.

All of these were taken with the GF1 and either the Panny 14mm, Panny Leica 25mm or the Oly 45mm. A tripod was only used in shot #4 which was a long exposure/water movement attempt.

Despite all the photographic difficulties I mentioned, I simply CANNOT wait for my 8 glorious weeks away to the US and Canada at the end of the year (less than 7 weeks away now) and am more excited than ever at the prospect of having soooo much time to do something that I find I'm quickly falling in love with.

1) PL Summilux 25/1.4

2) PL Summilux 25/1.4

3) PL Summilux 25/1.4

4) Panasonic 14mm f2.5

My first water movement attempt. Over-cast but very bright day. Used a B+W ND64 stacked with a CPL filter. ISO 100 50sec exposure. f16 if I recall.

5) Panasonic 14mm f2.5

6) PL Summilux 25/1.4

7) PL Summilux 25/1.4

8) Panasonic 14mm f2.5

9) Panasonic 14mm f2.5

10) PL Summilux 25/1.4

11) Panasonic 14mm f2.5

12) Panasonic 14mm f2.5

13) PL Summilux 25/1.4

14) Oly 45/1.8

15) Oly 45/1.8

16) Oly 45/1.8

17) PL Summilux 25/1.4

18) PL Summilux 25/1.4

19) PL Summilux 25/1.4

20) PL Summilux 25/1.4

21) PL Summilux 25/1.4

22) PL Summilux 25/1.4

23) PL Summilux 25/1.4
    • Like Like x 36
  2. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Wow, great set, and boy am I excited to get my PL 25 this Friday in the mail after seeing those shots! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Awesome photographs. The PL 25mm has done well and I love your processing.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Wow.. amazingly captured shots. Seems like that GF1 is holding amazingly well eh! My favs are 5, 8 and 23.. very motivating to get out and take some pictures..

Curious, how did you process these images. They have a really nice look and feel to the post-processing. Do you have an action you use or developed???
    • Like Like x 1
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Excellent captures, especially given your limited shooting window! Looks like you guys were having a good time.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Very nice set.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Nice pictures, I can tell you guys had a great time.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I think #4 worked out pretty well. I liked it.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    great shots - thanks for sharing!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010

Great photography there!! The photos are excellent showing clarity, depth, composition and color. More importantly, the photos really captured your experience. And even more important, you and your mates had a great time.

Thanks for sharing, and looking forward to seeing more photos!!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Great photos and yes, I would love to hear more about your processing. I can produce similar results using Lightroom, but I want to hear your approach
    • Like Like x 1
  12. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Great post! Some very nice pictures and a great experience to share. Fishing with my kid is one of the best things we do together. Thanks for sharing!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Much thanks to you all for the kind words and for dropping in to take a look.

Firstly, it absolutely was a great weekend and all who participated had an excellent time, kids and adults alike. In fact, the most appreciative was my mate Luke who had never taken his son on anything like it before and had serious doubts about how it would all go, he is about as "corporate type city slicker homebody" as you could get !!! He took the time at the end to thank me personally for including them both and told me that those 4 days spent with his son in that environment with that group of people, was amongst the very best 'real time' they had spent together. We all feel the same way hence why the tradition will continue for many more years to come.

Thank you Armanius for your encouragement, I too am happy with the end result I've displayed, but by the same token, I see much room for improvement.
    As mentioned in my OP, I need to form good shooting habits and will need discipline to constantly remind myself of good shooting form...steady myself, calm breath, compose, shoot. Too often over the course of the weekend I would get excited at seeing a shot and would rush through the mechanics of it, as such, I believe I perhaps didn't get (some of) my images as sharp as they can be. I hope to at some point be comfortable enough with the process so that it becomes natural rather than mechanical.

On my post processing, I took inspiration from the cool work I've seen on here by Dtchan and Janine4D's Dutch countryside stuff from her Flickr page. I think my pp is still uniquely my own. I worked the images in Lightroom using a combination of 2 presets that I tweaked to a fair degree until I got what I wanted, mostly adjusting vibrance, saturation and curves. The 2 presets that were the foundation are the Mike Lao version of "300" and a preset I found called "SarahJi-Almond". I have no workflow formula as such, to be honest, it's all a bit haphazard, trial and error, but that's another thing that I am working on, a methodology of processing my images that is both effective and efficient. Given that I've only been using Lightroom and Nik for about 3 months I'm happy with my progress, I just need to try make sure I don't habitually over-cook things. One major fault I've noticed with my pp work is a tendency to go a bit heavy handed with NR at the start, which kinda forces me to perhaps over sharpen things at the end....problem is, I've noticed by doing that, fine textures and even skin starts to look a little 'clay modeled' !!

All in all, I can say confidently that I can see myself enjoying my GF1 for quite some time to come. I just need to get out there and shoot as much as I can and try become more aware and conscious of what i am shooting and how i am shooting so as to form good habits, and to try and remain disciplined with my PP. And of course.....KEEP learning, something for which i am immensely grateful to this forum an it's many contributors.

• Like Like x 2
  14. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I like the perspective on the 14mm a lot!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Really enjoyed looking at those, and what a great way for you all to spend time with your lads.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Thanks Lubov.

Yeah the 14mm is great. In fact, it probably surprised me the most as it is significantly cheaper, older and a lot less 'glamorous' than the 25mm and 45mm in my kit yet some of my favorite shots from that weekend are from it. Quite fast, super tiny (I can't believe it's even a lens!!!), real sharp and a great FOV. Top value at $200 !
  17. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Beautiful shots buddy. Happy shooting
    • Like Like x 1
  18. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Fantastic shots! Where you using an ND filter with the PL25?

Gotta say, the landscape looks a whole lot like the Upper Derwent/Southern Central Plateau region in Tassie :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    LOVE the processing
    great captures overall
    favs are the chair and rod, and the thumbs up guy...
    • Like Like x 1
  20. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I like the fov of the 14mm better than the 12mm.
    • Like Like x 1