Golf Course Sunset: 2 different processing styles

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Brian G, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    During a visit with friends whose back-yard view is of the Estero Country Club in Florida, I had a chance to grab the GH3 and tripod and take a few shots. We were having dinner on their back patio, so I could relax and wait for the sunset to approach, and then cross one fairway for some nice views.

The first of these images is from a single, hand-held exposure, the second is from 6 bracketed exposures on tripod. The first is edited in Photoshop with some help from Topaz plugins, the second starts in Photomatix, followed by further steps in PS.

Neither is anywhere close to straight-from-camera, however. :biggrin:

Thanks for looking!

Estero at Sunset 2 by Blueshound250, on Flickr

Estero Country Club at Sunset by Blueshound250, on Flickr
  2. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Great shots and nice PP work. Would love to play there. Looks like a nice course.
  3. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Nice. I like the first one best.
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I think the first has a much more natural look to it - really nice photo! The second is a bit different, but I like it as well. :thumbup:
  5. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Not a fan or HDR so I like the first. Great natural processing there. What lens?
  6. fuSi0n

fuSi0n Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    First one is really great in terms of colors and composition. The second one is the exact opposite. I am not a fan of this " all sliders to the maximum" HDRs. A bit less microcontrast and less saturation and the second picture would look much more beautiful.
  7. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Lens was the Panasonic 12-35.