'Golden Silver' look of 12mm on E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gakuranman, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Some images that were recently linked to on dpreview showing how the silver lenses look on the upcoming OM-D E-M5 camera.

Personally I feel the 'golden silver' look of the premium 12mm lens doesn't match the plate metal of the E-M5. The black version of the camera with silver lens also looks reasonably good.

What are your thoughts? Do the silvers match enough for you to prefer the silver version of the camera?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dpreview post: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&thread=40557320

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It certainly doesn't. But it's the old silver of the 12mm that I don't like as much. :) I don't expect a perfect match from lens to body anyways, but I think the black lens would look better on it. Which is good, because most of us probably have many more black lenses than any other color. Though I suppose that that's changing in the world...

3. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I still like the 12mm on the silver camera more despite the mismatch. I will get to try the camera this Sunday. Not sure if they will allow me to attach my lens on it though. I do think my voigtlander will look nicely on either one.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Until I started frequenting m43 forums, I never really thought about whether my cameras or lenses are black or silver. And I really can't worry about it now, any more than I worry if my computer is black, beige or white, or my hammer is black, silver or blue. The camera is a tool, not a fashion statement. I did get my GH2 in the gray finish, but that was mainly to make it easy to distinguish from my black G2 when they're both in the same place. If the lens I need, or want, comes only in silver or only in black, I'm not going to worry about whether it matches my camera's color or not.

I do care, a great deal, about the color of the images my camera takes, but not very much about the color of the camera itself.

• Like Like x 3
  5. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC

Yes, to some it may be just a tool, but for me, I do care about the color
    and how it appears to others.

As a student in college (again.. for Grad school), having my E-PL2 in white with leather accessories, attracts attention and is a great way for me to get potential models for photo shoots!

Also, since many of the students here do not know what mirrorless cameras are, it helps me advocate for the micro four thirds system, because a lot
    of students here just approach me and ask what kind of camera I'm using :smile:

6. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I hate silver gear - way too conspicuous and flashy. Black (preferably matte) all the way, baby ;)

Even if I did like silver gear, having two different silvers is ugly.

7. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Does not compute. What was Olympus thinking? The only plausible explanation is that the left hand did not know what the right hand was doing. Champagne and silver do not look good at all together. :confused:

8. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    It really doesn't look good ,even the 45mm doesn't match. Makes me want to just go straight black, except it doesn't match the black camera that well either.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The silver on the lens looks like a natural metal finish , aluminum to be exact. The body is obviously painted or powder coated. I like both silvers but they don't mix very well. Personally I prefer lenses to be black. Silver is fine for the body however.

10. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I'll be seeing the E-M5 in person this Saturday to finally make up my mind. Despite the mismatch though, I still find myself leaning towards the silver body...

11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I just prefer the nostalgic look, as much as it doesn't match. I also dislike the silver lenses on a pure black body more, heh.

12. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I like the contrast.
    Too matching of anything and it looks like a superzoom p&s.

13. jpplenissart

jpplenissart Mu-43 Regular

You can see the 12mm mounted on the silver EM5 on the hands-on preview of The Phoblographer:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAbIPoR31ZM]Olympus EM-5 (OMD) Hands on by The Phoblographer - YouTube[/ame]

I didn't notice the 1st time I saw the video... Now the devil is in the details and you're the devil in this case ;)

14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    So I'm surprised nobody has mentioned its not going to match lumix lens, at least the ones with the purplish band on them. Won't bother me, but apparently it will bother some.

15. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    BOOO!
    i want pretty things
    :biggrin:

ill go back to my "i wont buy an ugly car or house, why should i buy an ugly camera?"

of course i still want it to take nice photos.. but since both colors work equally well.... then i want the prettier one!

duh! :)

16. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Good point. Assume you mean the silver? The Panasonic look fine, I think, on my black E-P3 and hope it will be the same on the black OMD I just preordered. :biggrin:

17. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't understand why Olympus silver doesn't match itself.Is the 45mm this same platinum color? ugh!
    And what is wrong with wanting things to be aesthetically pleasing?

18. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Now there's an interesting perspective I hadn't considered. A bit of cognitive dissonance perhaps, but I could get behind that way of thinking :p.

19. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Ha...yeah, i was in a part of the world where no one knew what a mft camera was. You either have a cell, p&s or dslr. My silver ep3 on 45mm had people like :eek: when i took the lens off.

On the flipside, a handful inquired about the pen when it had some sort of mismatched lens like the lumix, or om.

Most people will find uniformity more pleasing, but a little contrast is more unique and interesting. Kinda fitting to the rogue nature of this format and besides, its only a camera...

20. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    The mismatched silvers are a odd, but I think in the real world the contrast will not be anywhere near as obvious as in the first picture in this thread.

For myself, I haven't made my mind up yet.