Golden Nepal

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by phrenic, May 1, 2012.

1. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Such a lovely country..warm people and warm light..

Here's a small sampling of shots from my most recent vacation. In no particular order..for those curious I believe its a variety from the ancient EP1/G1 7.5mm fisheye, 9-18mm, 14-45 and 40-150mm.

C&C welcome..particularly criticism so I can improve. :tongue:

<a href="" title="P1282389 by one.mic, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="P1282389"></a>

<a href="" title="P1060058 by one.mic, on Flickr">[​IMG]"768" height="1024" alt="P1060058"></a>

<a href="" title="P1282394 by one.mic, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1021" height="1024" alt="P1282394"></a>

<a href="" title="P1282380 by one.mic, on Flickr">[​IMG]"768" height="1024" alt="P1282380"></a>
    <a href="" title="P1292511 by one.mic, on Flickr">[​IMG]"768" height="1024" alt="P1292511"></a>

<a href="" title="P1292490 by one.mic, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="P1292490"></a>

<a href="" title="P1060087 by one.mic, on Flickr">[​IMG]"768" height="1024" alt="P1060087"></a>

<a href="" title="P1060069 by one.mic, on Flickr">[​IMG]"768" height="1024" alt="P1060069"></a>
    • Like Like x 22
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Exellent shots , these two are my favourites . I know when u visit these places u connect with real people and real emotions and when places fully develop then we deal more with machines and after sometimes behave like machines .
    • Like Like x 3
  3. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Great set of images, I especially like #3. Well done.
  4. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Great photographs. I like the first two the best. The soft light on the buildings in the first shot in particular is beautiful.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Is this Pashupatinath, Swayambhunath, and Boudhanath we're looking at here?
  6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yes, yes, and yes! And you have a way better way with names and spelling than me. I can only remember the name 'Monkey Temple'. :p
  7. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    What a beautiful place! How lucky you are to have visited there. The lighting in the first shot really does it for me. Well done.
  8. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    It looks like you were also lucky with the weather. A friend was there in December(?) and the pollution was terrible. Is that seasonal or a function of specific weather patterns, such as thermal inversion?

BTW, great shots! Thanks for sharing!
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011

Gorgeous country & you've captured it well! :2thumbs:
  10. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Fabulous subjects, wonderful compositions. My favorite the men. Thanks for sharing. Only possible improvement would have been for you take me with.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Very very nice ... good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

12. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Lovely shots!!!!
  13. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Thanks for all the lovely comments! Kathmandu isn't the easiest city to get around in, but its very photogenic. The soft, warm light makes shooting a pleasure. Fortunately didn't have to play around much with WB or PP when I got home. Compared to some of my other trips I have to say that the lighting in this part of the world does give a different cast to the shots (compared to say, Peru).

thearne3: These shots were taken at the end of Jan I believe. Which is Winter, like in the western hemisphere... light sweatshirt weather still. It was cool and dry, which can make the pollution a pain, especially in the big cities but I didn't find it much more painful than any other developing country in Asia like Bangkok or Phnom Penh. Maybe the altitude makes the pollution worse? I think it's a good time to travel there compared to intense heat or the wet season.
  14. rgeorge911

rgeorge911 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Great images

These are very nice. I love traveling through the eyes of other photogs.

In fact, I have a series of posts on my blog, doing just that. Hope you don't mind my linking to your post!

Since you ask for criticism (as I always do), I wonder if it's possible to engage people in this setting at all? I have no idea as to the customs, but it's a frequent criticism of my own travel photography that it "looks like I didn't meet anyone." In some cases, that's the truth, and shouldn't be hidden. In other cases, I just don't take the opportunity to photograph the fun people I meet. I'm working on that...

My Lumix Blog:
  15. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hi Reed,

I'd be honored to be linked haha.

Yeah, it is often difficult to 'break the ice' while shooting in (very) foreign locations, especially if outsiders are mostly seen as sales/begging opportunities.

I think I have a few shots that are more people intimate..I'll go through some more shots when I get home from work.
  16. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I love the first photograph, lovely set. I am not sure if you've made a portrait of the "sadhus", but they turn out quite nice.

Light is the first thing that I noticed when I visited the US. The temperature of light is quite warm there but it's got a different feel here in Nepal and India. During summer, the shadows are right below us, where as in the US (especially D.C.), the shadows would always be to the side irrespective of the season. I am sure it's something to do with staying closer to the equator.