1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Going to Washington tomorrow, your advice now

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by jyc860923, Sep 25, 2014.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I'll arrive in Washington DC at IAD tomorrow 2:35 PM, and have booked a hotel nearby, and my next flight out of the U.S. to Panama is 4:20 PM the day after tomorrow, so I'll have at least an afternoon to kill. It'll be my first time to the U.S. what am I supposed to look for in terms of photography, or anything else interesting and should be care of in DC? Thanks

2. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    You should take a shuttle into Washington, about 30 miles/50 km away, and go to the National Mall, because that is where all the usual sightseeing happens, and on your first trip to Washington you might as well see the usual sights. The Mall runs from the inspiring Lincoln Memorial on the west end to the formidable Capitol on the east, and includes the Washington Monument, the beautiful Jefferson Memorial and Tidal Basin on the south edge, a view of the White House a block to the north, the somber Vietnam Memorial, and several museums including the National Gallery of Art and the Air and Space Museum. The Mall will fill whatever time you have, and the weather tomorrow afternoon will be perfect.

If for any reason you can't get that far from Dulles Airport, the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum has its enormous annex near Dulles, the Udar-Hazy Center, with aircraft and spacecraft that could't fit into the museum on the Mall.

I can't wait to see your photos!

• Like Like x 1
  3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Wow, that's a lot! really, I didn't expect I could go this far after a 14 hours flight but I really do want to take some nice photos within limited hours and experience (which I got from watching House of Cards:rolleyes:). Just some casual shooting and I hope it won't be disappointing

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Dulles airport is an interesting photographic opportunity itself.

And I concur you could spend a all of time in the Air and Space Museum Dulless annex.
    Udvar-Hazy Center

You could catch the metro to the mall downtown but your short time there could make that difficult - but if you can do some evening shooting there are great opportunities for night shots.

• Like Like x 1