1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Going to Savannah...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lawrenjp, Nov 10, 2014.

1. lawrenjp

lawrenjp Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey all,

Both my girlfriend and I are novice photographers, but we're going to Savannah, GA this coming weekend for a Food and Wine festival where there will be lots of events, tastings, and tours. I currently have an EM-10 with kit lens and the Oly 25/1.8, and she has a Canon T2i with the 18-55 kit lens. We just got a subscription to borrowlenses and I'm looking to get us something fun to shoot with. She's never shot with primes or fast lenses before, but isn't opposed to it ("Just get me whatever you think is best..."). So my question to the community is, since we have a special weekend planned and the subscription, and I know that a lot of you are former Canon users, what would be good lenses to get for the weekend for us? It'll be mostly event and cityscape photography.

Open to suggestions!

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    You mean for the Canon? Or the Oly?

I find a 'normal' like the 25/1.8 will cover a whole lot of ground, but sometimes prefer something just a touch wider (35mm equivalent or so). For Canon Land, on a crop, try mixing it up so you have cameras that play to different strengths, something like an ultrawide 10-22 (Canon) will work very nicely for urban settings and cityscapes. I also really like the effect of a longer prime (say an 85/1.8 on the Canon) for candid details/street portraiture/cityscapes with a little more compression.

My 'Canon' setup for an event like this would have been the 35L/1.4 and 135L/2.0 on a FF body, with a 50/1.4 to round things out (either Sigma or one of the legacy bits of glass I enjoy shooting from time to time...). These days I don't visit cities without an ultrawide. Lots of creative opportunities to be had!

• Like Like x 1
  3. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    I've been to Savannah many many times and my advice for m43 shooting is to rent something like the Panasonic 12-35 or Olympus 12-40. That's it.

The 18 - 35 will suffice for the Canon.

You will have so much to do & photograph that a 2 day visit will barely allow you time to scratch the surface.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lawrenjp

lawrenjp Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    When I search Canon 18-35, all I find is a Sigma lens...is that what you mean?

5. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    No. Sorry I meant 18-55. The standard kit lens.

6. Tuckerjr

Tuckerjr New to Mu-43

Feb 7, 2014
    If you want to do something fun check out Capturing Savannah. Pablo & Brittany are fun photography teachers, that teach photography as well as show you around the city. We were just there & fast primes are perfect.

7. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Lots of great old buildings in Savannah. Get a 10-22 for the Canon and and a 9-18 for the Oly.

• Like Like x 1