Going to purchase the YN560 III in the next few days. still have quesitons.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by colbycheese, Jul 2, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    So i wanted to get a flash and i decided that the Yn560 is the one i should get. I just have a few questions i need answered. First of all, i know that you can trigger the flash when it is off camera via the built in flash on my E-M10. My question is, i noticed there is transmitters you can buy and i was wondering exactly how they work so i can trigger the flash off camera without the on board flash on my camera. I noticed the one made by the same company called the RF-603. So my question is exactly how do these work, and how many i need, and is it possible to buy one from another company and would it work. Thank you

2. jaclu

jaclu Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2014
    I use some RF-603s they work great, but you need to switch one connector for it to work on m43. Should not be hard to find instructions on the web. Takes two mins and change can be undone.

• Like Like x 1
  3. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    alright. good to know. So do you need one for the flash and one for the camera? Or just one for the camera?

4. deltakilo

deltakilo Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    Dennis
    If it's 560III or IV then you just need an RF603 for the camera as the 560 has a receiver built in. From my experience I found the Nikon version 603 was much easier to attach to the camera hotshoe compared to the Canon model.

5. wilson

wilson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
  6. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Do not get the RF 603. It does not allow you to remotely set the power of the off camera flashes. Get either a 560 IV flash or the 560 TX. Being able to adjust the flash power remotely is great.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    I made very good experience with the Yongnuos. The 560III has a build in receiver, the only thing you need is the transmitter. Yongnuo is offering a really charming one: the 560 TX Controller: There you can control several off Camera flashes - and you carry the transmitter and the flashes, thats all: very convenient!!

I have ritten and shown how is looks on a GM5... http://delightphoto.zenfolio.com/blog/2015/1/lumix-gm5---ab-big-step-ahead

• Like Like x 1
  8. belfastbiker

belfastbiker Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2014
    Belfast, N. Ireland.
    Paul

Hi, are you sure this is true?

9. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Yes. I purchased the flash last week and yes it does work. You have to put the flash in slave mode

10. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    I can confirm this. Bit there is a draw back: You will have light from the build in flash, too... To control the light it is better to use the trigger....

11. jaclu

jaclu Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2014
    My setup when shooting studio is two RF-603 one on cam the other on a 560TX who then talks to the flashes on a different channel. This pair i carry with me with a phone running the camera remotely, this way i can walk arround fire the camera and either adjust the flash levels on the TX or walk to the flash and move it, then take a new test shot without having to go to the camera.
    Saves tons of time!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Interesting setup, but this works only if you have a camera which is controlled by wifi, or - like the Panasonics... I will have to test this out....

13. jaclu

jaclu Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2014
    Yes i guess that is true, you could also use the 603 in your hand as a remote trigger and if the cam is tethered or connected via hdmi you can see the shot on a large screen to cut down on walking back to the cam...

• Like Like x 1
  14. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    The YN560 III has a built in receiver. The YN 560 IV has a built in receiver/transmitter. Either of these can be used with the 560TX radio contoller. The beauty of the 560TX is that you can both trigger and change output/zoom on the 560 III/IV flash units directly from your camera. These are very economical and are great to work with. I wouldn't bother with the RF603 triggers.

All of the YN560 flashes are able to to be triggered optically using the onboard camera flash.

I got the 560TX along with 2 YN560 III flashes. I didn't get the YN560 IV since I never saw an instance where I would put the flash directly on the camera hot shoe.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. ghost2k

ghost2k New to Mu-43

Aug 2, 2015
    Sydney
    Do you have Canon or Nikon version?. I have a E-M5 and I am thinking of buying a 560TX plus YN560III, but I read that it is a bit difficult to put them on the camera hot shoe.

16. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    I run the Canon version, I do have Canon equipment, too. The connection from the Yongnuos to the Hotshoe is always a bit stiff. But you can manage...

17. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    I found the YN560TX very difficult to put on my E-M10 hot shoe, so I removed the four extraneous pins and just left the center contact in place. No more problems and the 560TX works just fine. I purchased the Canon version of the 560TX.

18. ghost2k

ghost2k New to Mu-43

Aug 2, 2015
    Sydney
    Thanks for your replies guys.
    Maybe I should avoid the hassle, pay more and get the Cactus system ... time to think ...

19. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    It really wasn't hard to do. Remove four screws and the flash shoe can be removed. Inside is a small circuit board. Remove the four screws holding in the circuit board. Once done, the pins are spring loaded and may be removed easily. Hold onto the pins and springs in case later you want to reverse the operation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  20. ghost2k

ghost2k New to Mu-43

Aug 2, 2015
    Sydney
    Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1