1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Going to NYC

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by atom, Apr 10, 2011.

1. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm off to New York next weekend for 5 days and I'm excited to see the city and of course take lots of pictures. Other than trying to get playoff hockey tickets to see the Rangers, I don't have a lot of plans.

Anything tips for a first timer to NYC?

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    There is a million things to do? What are you interested in?

3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Get out very early before the city wakes up. Get out of midtown, visit the village, soho, tribeca etc. If you want to visit B&H go on Sunday the 17th after that they will be closed the rest of the week. Other than that what is your idea of what NY is like?

4. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I've spent the last 3.5 months on an isolated native reserve in Northern Ontario, so I'm basically just looking to enjoy the big city. I'll do the real touristy things I'm sure, but mostly I just want to walk around and take it all in. Maybe if you could suggest some interesting little neighbourhoods to walk around.

5. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Lots to Do

You can buy half-priced theatre tickets in Times Square on Saturday. There are great museums that you should take advantage. Try some of the food in the carts. They are part of the fabric of NYC. Take a wide angle for the tall buildings. Go to Rockefeller Center, 5th Ave... walk in SaKs NYC and Macys. Go to B& H Photo it is a blast. I could think of 100 other things, but that is a good start. Take extra money or credit. It is expensive. :smile: Have fun.

6. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Hehehe, I'll be in NYC later this week as well. :)

Things to do in NYC for a first timer, eh? Well, his all the standard tourist trappings as noted above. Also take the ferry out to say Lady Liberty (I'm a pass on Ellis Island though; cool and historically significant, but my family came here by plane not many years ago so it holds little personal significance). My wife and I are going to take the Roosevelt Island tramway for a lark (a 120 person gondola that takes a 4 minute trip to an island in the East River). If the weather is nice, Central Park. Ground Zero? Roof of the Empire State Building? Taping of a TV show? So many possibilities...

Are you and art lover? There is pretty much an art museum for any possible taste.
    Food lover? Foods of all kinds abound (even their street food is FAR superior and more diverse than our Toronto fare that is hot dog after hot dog after hot dog).
    Pretty much anything you can think of you can probably do in NYC (legal or otherwise...)

And yes, I will be making a sojourn to B&H pretty much straight after our bus arrives. :D

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Staten Island Ferry is a must if you are downtown. Stunning views of lower Manhattan, Brooklyn, Statue of Liberty, and NJ. Free.

8. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Central Park is great on a nice spring weekend, 59th St-110th St., in the morning you'll find lots of runner and cyclists, in the later morning-afternoon more families and other people are there. The Village is from below 14th St - Houston St. East Village -Greenwich Village- West Village, SoHo is South of Houston to Canal St. which is the Chinatown area, a little farther south is the financial district and the Brooklyn Bridge which is fun to walk over.

Where are you staying? Have fun! Anything else besides the Hockey game? Which I hope you have a lot of money for because NY pro sports are very expensive.

9. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm starting to get excited.

I'm staying at the Newton Hotel (uptown Manhattan). I didn't end up getting tickets to the hockey game (sold out instantly).

10. petach

petach Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    1. Walk Brooklyn Bridge in the day and at night
    2. Ride the cable car across the East River it's on the upper east side ( .....cheap and fantastic views!)
    3. Ellis Island tour and you must listen to the Tom Brokaw commentary
    4. Circle Line boat trip
    5. Don't be tempted by the touts near Madison Sq Garden, you will get ripped off.
    6. Walk and walk and walk and walk....fascinating and wonderful city and don't laugh at the crazy people!

11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

12. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    If you are into museums the Met is a great place to visit and you can do central park as well. I you have kids the natural history museum is fun and a fun place to visit as well, and again you can do central park as both are right there, just on opposite sides of the park. The Guggenheim is also work a visit is you are into modern art. And pretty much all the museums are around central park.

A nice photo op would be in dumbo on the brooklyn side of the the mahattan and brooklyn bridge. Great shots of the brooklyn bridge and downtown manhattan down at fulton ferry park.