1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Going to Japan: buy lenses off of amazon or local shop?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bigbluebear, Jul 19, 2013.

1. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Hi,

I have a friend going to japan in August who is willing to help pick me up the 12-35mm and the 35-100mm. For those of you that have experience purchasing items in japan, am I better off telling her to just order from amazon or go to a local shop? The prices on amazon right now look pretty enticing.

2. Holymoly

Holymoly Mu-43 Regular

Shopping in Japan

Hey BBB have you ever noticed that Japanese camera prices on ebay are horrendous? You would think that Japanese should get better deals because that is where the cameras are made but it is all about marketing. I still can't believe how I was able to sell my Hasselblad gear in the UK for more than I paid for it in New Zealand. My feeling is that there is more aggressive marketing of Japanese gear in Hongkers than in Japan itself.

3. bigbluebear

Jul 2, 2013
    Hi,

I don't know about other gear but on Amazon I see the 12-35 selling for under $800 and the 35-100 selling for $910. I feel those are very fair prices for new gear.

4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    bigbluebear,

What Holymoly said is correct for other brands, but for Olympus and Panasonic the prices are actually quite good here.

Amazon is OK, local shops are OK. Just check their prices... The easiest local shop to deal with is Map camera in Shinjuku, they are not always the cheapest but their display is fantastic. The big camera chains are not that cheap if you don't consider the points you get from them.

Do remember that Panasonic lenses are not covered by any worldwide warranties.

5. bigbluebear

Jul 2, 2013
    Thank you Monkey. Is warranty really a dealbreaker? I've shot canon for many years and haven't had any issues with my gear except when it was due to user error (e.g., dropping the camera)

6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    For some it is, for others it's not. So it depends, when I shot Nikon before as well, all my lenses were gray units and never encountered a problem. :smile:

By the way about ordering from Amazon, is your friend staying at a hotel or something? he/she can have it delivered to a convenience store (Family Mart or Lawson) as I don't think Amazon would deliver it to hotels.

7. bigbluebear

Jul 2, 2013
    Thanks. My friend actually has family there so I'm thinking of ordering online and having it just delivered to the house. Just teetering on whether i want to give up my primes and give these two zooms a go.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    As mentioned above, the better prices only come with JDM warranty. If you want a worldwide warranty, then the price is pretty much the same as US. Of course, you could always ship it back to your "friend" and have her send it in for you, but this will have a pretty bad effect on resale if you decide you don't like them.