going to Hawaii

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BadKarMah, Jul 29, 2013.

1. BadKarMah

BadKarMah Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    Hi All,

Going to Oahu with the family and wondering if it's worth bringing all my equipment there. I want to bring it all! There may be days when we are just at the beach snorkling.

Bringing my kids for the 1st time, they are 3.5 and 7.5 so I want to get some once in a lifetime shots.

An cool ideas? I definitely want to get a nice family portrait with the sunset. Thanks!
  2. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    If your whole kit is what you list in your sig, take it all, except maybe the flash. That's less space and weight than my old Nikon and one lens, which is what I took to Hawaii before. I can see a good case for each lens that you list.
  3. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    It's worth bringing your entire kit. We visited Hawaii with my daughter's family a few months ago and my kit consisted of the ep3 and 4 lenses. I got good use from each one of them.

Rokinon 7.5/3.5

Panny 20/1.7

Oly 45/1.8

Oly 40-150

Bring your external flash. You'll find it important for your backlit sunset family portraits.

Oly 45/1.8 + fl36r
  4. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    I agree with everyone on the whole kit.
  5. Baimei

Baimei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2011
    My advice is to take it along. Luckily, micro four thirds gear is very light. Once you have been there, you can cut back on the next trip. My most frequently used lenses on the last trip were the 20 and the 25. I also had a 45 and a 7-14 along.
    Once you get there, its best to just take what you think you will use until you get back to your room. Its best to walk around with as light a load as possible and you do not want to leave valuables in the car.

Theft from cars is rampant. Even at crowded or what appear to be deserted beaches, it happens all the time.

You might also want to consider renting an underwater camera at one of the dive shops. They are excellent on the beaches as well as in the water. It can be windy on the beach, and you don't want sand blowing in your good camera.

Have a great trip, and Aloha!