1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Going to Hawaii, worthwhile to rent 7-14mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by CARHOUND, Jul 1, 2013.

1. CARHOUND

CARHOUND Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    I can't currently afford the 7-14mm, but I feel like I might be missing some opportunities if I don't bring a copy. I'm already bringing three lenses: 14-45mm, 20mm, 45-200mm. What I pack for the day will depend on the activity. Would adding a fourth be too cumbersome? The cost to rent is pretty reasonable ~150 vs 900 to purchase.

Thoughts?

2. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I think you can do without it. I went to Hawaii last summer with the 14-45, 45, and 100-300, and did fine. Although I concentrated on wildlife and macro, I got some good vistas at the 14 mm end of the zoom. (My Hawaii set is Hawaii 2012 - a set on Flickr if you'd like to look.)

There were a few places that I would have used the 7-14 (I have it now), but I really didn't feel the lack.

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    A cheaper option would be to buy a Samyang Fisheye lens, 7.5mm/f3.5 and defish the pictures in LR or something.
    Stunning results !

C U
    Rafael

4. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    I did not find myself make too much use of ultra wide angle in Hawaii.

5. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I bought the 7-14 for a work trip to the big island and Maui earlier this year, for use on my EM-5. I get way too much flare (i.e. purple blobs) with this combo and most of the pictures I took with this lens were ruined. I would not bring the 7-14 again unless I was using it with another body, I've used the panny 8mm in HI (on other trips with the EM-5) and did not have any issues with flare.

6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    If you were going somewhere larger, like Australia, maybe. But Hawaii? It's not that wide.

7. CARHOUND

CARHOUND Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    Thanks everyone, I'm shooting with A GX1 so flaring wouldn't be an issue. But from what it sounds like the wide end of 14-45 will be sufficient.

8. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I went to Maui this February with a GX1 and 14-42 kit lens, 25 1.4 and 100-300 and didn't miss having a wider angle lens. Next time I hope to have something better than the 14-42 though. Hope you have a great time!

9. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for posting the link to your photos. You've got some great shots! :smile:

10. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    You can always combine a few shots with the 14-45 to make the wide view should you need it.

Also, not sure I understand the comment about the GX1 and lens flare not being an issue. The camera body usually doesn't have much to do with lens flare and it is more often a characteristic of the lens itself. For instance, my 17-55 F/2.8 Nikkor lens will often produce lens flare when shooting into the sun a lot more than the slower 18-55 kit lens on the same D200 camera.

11. CARHOUND

CARHOUND Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    I mentioned because someone else has mentioned that that the sensor coating on several Olympus cameras when combined with the lens coating on the 7-14mm create a purple flare.

There's a DPReview forum thread floating around detailing the fix... it requires the use of a UV filter to remove the purple flare. Something about the Olympus sensor having a slightly different IR/UV filter on it.

12. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    There are a number of threads on this forum where owners of the EM-5 and the 7-14mm lens have reported issues of excessive flaring with this combination. I was skeptical at first that it was due to the combination of the body and the lens, so much so that I went ahead and bought the lens.

Based on my use of the 7-14mm and my wife's use of the same lens on her GX1, I'd say that there is an issue with the EM-5 and 7-14mm combo. There tends to be less flare with the lens on GX1 than on the EM-5, based on images I've seen from my wife's body.

The only reason I haven't sold the 7-14mm is that I'm hoping flare won't be as much of an issue on the GX2 and that it will be more like the GX1 rather than the EM-5 (in terms of flare). Having said all this I would feel more comfortable bringing the 7-14mm, to HI, as long as I also bring the GX1 instead of the EM-5.

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Despite the suggestion that you could achieve a wide angle look by stitching multiple images, in my experience there's no real replacement for a wide angle lens. If you are envisioning wide angle scenarios in Hawaii, and/or if you just want to see if the 7-14 would be a worthwhile lens for you to purchase someday, then I would encourage you to go ahead and rent it. No sense in spending your vacation wishing you had a wider option, get it and enjoy your time and come back and share your results.

14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Good point. I initially chose to stitch everything wider than 12mm to save me money. It worked really well for a while. But then a moving water wheel and a marching band threw my theory out the window. They refused to stop to let me finish my panorama. "Hey! Come back!"

15. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    LOL... that's a good point.

Newb to the forum now has the info on that flare issue. Interesting. Learn something new everyday ;)

16. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    It's OK. You can add the purple flare in PP like I do, to make people think I spent twice as much on a 7-14 as I did on my used 9-18mm!

(Ooh! I'm so cheap!)

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    $150 down the toilet?!!? I am waay too much of a cheapskate for that.

Buy a used lens (I would suggest the 9-18mm for a number of reasons.) then sell it when you get home. If you buy and sell with some care, the round trip will not cost you anywhere near $!50.

I bought a G1 and a 100-300mm for an African trip a couple of years ago, then sold it when I returned. My total cost to have the lens and extra body was $30. (The sell prices were higher than my buy prices. It was only the shipping that made the net proceeds negative.)

18. MikeWhitten

MikeWhitten Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2012
    Renting can be a reasonable way to go if you're sure you don't want the lens long term or if indeed cash is tight right now. I rented a long lens for a trip from Lensrentals.com; it was a great experience.

Re taking a wide on vacation: For me, it's essential. A 16-35 (ish) equivalent was my most common walk-around lens when shooting a DSLR.

With my EM-5, I went all primes and find the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye to be one of my best purchases. Left fishy or defished, depending on the need, I love it either way.

One tip - if you get it, go black no matter your EM-5 color. I went silver and the lens hood has scratched up the petals on the outside. No biggie, obviously no impact to the photos, but I'd change if I had it to do over.

19. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I was in Hawaii while I was still shooting Nikon DX, and my Sigma 10-20 was my most frequently used lens for both trips. The ultrawide is really great for the beach and mountain landscapes. The 7-14 might be more than you need, look into the 9-18 and the Rokinon fish. The Rokinon is only a little more expensive to buy than the 7-14 is to rent.

That said, consider panos as well. I also made some nice, handheld beach panos, and some canyon ones at Waimea Canyon on Kauai. Your 20mm is probably a good choice to use for some panos.