Going to Hawaii/ Driving Road to Hana/ Asking for advice

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by xxjorelxx, Jul 14, 2016.

1. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    Hey all,
    Im going on vacation for Hawaii tomorrow and I'm a little torn on whether or not I should bring a long range zoom. This is my first time on the Hawaiian Islands and I will be spending 5 days on O'ahu and another 5 days on Maui. I know I will be bringing my Panasonic G7, P7-14 f4, P12-35 f2.8, & P35-100 f2.8. While i'm on Maui, I plan on driving the Road to Hana and would like to take some nature shots of birds/animals/wild life. I'm now debating if I should also bring my P100-300 F/4.0-5.6 or if it'll just be overkill. I like the idea of having the extra reach in case I find a need for it but the lens is bulky and heavy. I was hoping to ask for advice from anyone who knows Hawaii well, particularly the Road to Hana, and see if it's really worth bringing the lens. If I can get away with using the 35-100 as my main zoom then i'll just leave the 100-300 at home. Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Don't drive the road to Hana; it's too twisty, narrow and has relatively few stopping places. You won't be able to get any or many pictures.
    If you take one of the tours, the driver will give a running commentary on the history of the road and interesting stories about who owns some of the old ranches now, alerts for good photos, he'll stop at the best legal and prohibited spots for pictures, and will take you through Hana and return to the starting point by driving further along the coast where rental cars aren't allowed. The countryside is really photogenic in that stretch as well. Sit on the left side of the bus (it's a 'short bus') behind the driver to get the best shots. We were also taken to a black sand beach and Lindberg's graveyard (he's buried standing up). These tours typically include lunch and a stop at a winery back on the other side of the island - Hawaiian wine is awful but the souvenir shop was fun to browse.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    I was going to say you'll want the 300 for whales, but apparently the whales return north in the Spring and summer. Unless you are shooting birds (and not the omnipresent chickens), I'd leave the 300 at home.