1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Going to Disney World - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by speedandstyle, Dec 19, 2012.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

In January I am going to a conference at Disney World and will have a little bit of time to go out and shoot{afternoon one day and evenings}. I am not into the rides really and since I am mending a busted leg probably shouldn't. My boss rented me a power wheelchair while there so I can get about.:biggrin:

Anyway I have two questions for those who have been. First, what and where are the best photo locations at the park. Keep in mind that I am limited to a wheelchair.

Second is what lenses should I bring. I have the lenses listed in my signature plus a Pany 20mm on the way{just ordered it}. I will probably be getting the Oly 15mm cap lens for Christmas{if Santa is really good to me I might even get the Oly 45mm}. I also have a little bit to get another lens{up to $500} before I go.

Thanks!

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Have a good time?

As for what to bring...when I was traveling I found that a majority of my shots were done with my 14-54 (I was using an E-520 at the time). I hardly used the 40-150 I had. If it were me I think I'd go with the kit zoom and the P20/1.7. That'll give you a lot of options and the speed of the kit zoom shouldn't be an issue as it's warm and sunny in FLA this time of year. If you pick up the O45 that would be a nice light lens to take but how much do you want to change lenses. I like the convenience of a zoom when I travel.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I used to live in Orlando and have taken plenty of family and friends through all of the parks down there. I agree. Bring the kit zoom or possibly the 14-150 (the sun is bright) plus the 20 and be done with it. There are (or at least used to be) signs in the park to point out photo spots. I don't know how long you're going to be down there but if you have an extra day or two, also go to Sea World and the Kennedy Space Center. Sea World is a bit west of Disney World. The Space Center is about an hour east of Orlando on the Atlantic coast.

• Like Like x 1
  4. speedandstyle

I will be there 3 days but 90% of the time at a conference. I have no chance to go anywhere besides Disney World itself. I was thinking about bringing the 14-150mm as I always seem to find something that I need tele for{although I usually go to state/national parks not to amusement parks}. It is a bit long but light enough.

Last night I read a thread that somebody else had about what lenses to use and the 20mm was highly recommended, so I ordered one. I have two bodies and if I only bring these two lenses then I won't have to switch{however I am not afraid to switch if needed}.

As I said I only have the evenings and one afternoon to go to the park so I figured I needed at least one fast lens. Right now my only fast ones are legacy lenses, although I don't mind manual focus they are big and heavy. If I do get the cap lens I will bring it to try it out and if I get the 45mm I will bring that too since it will be a longer fast lens{I doubt Santa will be that good to me though!}.

One thing I want to try and avoid is getting the "touristy" shots. I am looking more for the locations that others miss. I understand that there is an area where they make it look like different areas of the world. That sounds like that might have some good photo ops. My boss wants to go to Epcot, does it have any good locations?

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Epcot is where they have different "lands". The entire thing is set up in a ring around a lake, and you can wander from place to place. Magic Kingdom is "old school" Disney (castle, mickey mouse, etc). What used to be MGM studios (forget what it is now called) is more designed like a movie set, with various attractions like that. Animal Kingdom is more of a safari type adventure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yeah, and the studio park also has a working back lot, which is interesting. Be prepared for cardiac arrest when you see the ticket prices for the Disney parks, however.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The world showcase (the back of EPCOT) has many great photo ops with the 20. Last time I was there I shot mostly with the 14. We go there yearly so I use a different main lens each time. Pack the 45-200 and take it to the Animal Kingdom. A large part of the AK is a zoo but a little reach helps. Lots of great candids almost anywhere in the parks to the photographer's eye ;-) WDW is also very wheelchair friendly.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I really enjoyed Animal Kingdom - lots of good possibilities there. The electric light parade in the Magic Kingdom is also fun and a great opportunity for using the 20mm.

9. speedandstyle

My 20mm came today. It was slowed up by all the Christmas shipping. I also got a 45mm for Christmas, well kind of. Santa ordered one but it has not gotten here yet. It will be here before the new year{I hope}. Anyway I figure on bringing both of these primes and the 14-150mm. That should give me all I need. For daytime I will put the zoom on one body and the 20mm on the other. I will carry the 45mm and switch if the need calls for it. At night I will switch the zoom for the 45mm.

10. shrimp123

shrimp123 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    enjoy your time.

when we went to disneyland(LA), we took the 20mm. It was great for the most part, except,
    1. Focus speed - a little slow, even for those tea cups and peter pan rides. Easy to overcome with some prefocusing.
    2. Video - (may be user issue). We got lot of noise and shake in most videos where i tried tried to focus.

otherwise, it was perfect, just like the place ;)

11. mgear

mgear Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2013
    Eustis, Fl
    Sean Matt
    Make sure you bring some faster lenses like the 20mm or something as there are plenty of dark areas that could benefit from an aperture like that. There are plenty of rides that you will be able to go on that wouldn't even really trouble someone that is wheelchair bound. Spaceship Earth is one of them; It's basically a documentary in ride form. Nothing fast, but is a great educational experience and a place to cool off.

12. Groovydog

Groovydog New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2013
    I have been to Disneyworld many times and have come to the conclusion that whatever type of photography you enjoy, it is available in Disneyworld! similarly there is plenty of opportunity to experiment. people shots are everywhere of course, but for me it's about colour, and for this, Disneyworld comes alive at night! and fireworks are very spectacular at both the magic kingdom and Epcot.

I will take two lenses in future, a general zoom for use in the daytime and a fast fixed lens for nightime. Avoid flash if at all possible.

Have fun and dont worry about being wheelchair bound, Disneyworld caters better than anywhere else on earth for wheelchair users.

13. speedandstyle

I just got to my room here at Disney World. I have not taken any pics yet but have seen dozens of excellent opertunities. I will post some pics once I get back.

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Don't forget to have fun. Where are you staying?

15. speedandstyle

The Coronado Springs Resort. The conference is right here so it makes things very easy. Shot a couple of pics of some flowers and a few from the conference. The theme is South of the border which doesn't thrill me a lot because I see it everyday living in the Southewest US. Still ther are dome nice details here and there that I plan on shooting when I get the chance.

16. speedandstyle

Spend the afternnon and night at Epcot today. Have a lot of photos, some good, some great and some bad. The weather was horrible! It was cold and heavily overcast and keep loghtly raining off and on. The overcast helped with lighting in some ways but made for very ugly skys. The rain just made things very hard and I hope npthing got water damage. Sure wish I had an E-M5! When I get home and after I have a chance to process the photos through Lightroom, I will post some up. Thanks to all who posted advice.

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The capitalist in me is always so impressed with how Disney manages to separate you from your money and have you remember it fondly. The photo cards and the wandering Disney photographers is just brilliant. Hand them the card, they take a picture, it appears on the website ready for you to buy.

18. speedandstyle

I went to Disney world twice when I was a kid but never to Disney World. Because of my busted leg I did not to go do my usual summer trip of photo fun. This helped make up for it. Spent last night really looking at all my shots and a couple came out really well, most good. Trying to shoot pictures of seagulls in flight proved to be an exercise in frustration however! - not one shot fully in focus with the gull in a good pose.

I am not a seafood fan. However the best thing I ate the whole time there was fish. When I was in England the batteries went dead on my power wheelchair and I had to wait on the guy to bring a replacement. While waiting I decided I was hungry so I got the fish and chips. Oh my gosh they were good! They were also a bit high in price and not a large serving but my work paid for my food so no big deal.

I noticed them and if you are with a group and simply want some memories it does seem like a great idea. But I so prefer shooting my own. I went on a couple of rides but doing photography was my vacation!

19. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody

20. Scope it out first on Google Earth. The lay of the land thing.
    There is an airport nearby the rebuild vintage aircraft and an airboat ride through the swamps is awesome. Both off Disney world.