Going to Dark-Side (NEX-C3), PM1 User

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by larrytxeast, Feb 24, 2013.

1. larrytxeast

larrytxeast Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 10, 2012
    Well for now anyway, I am going to the "dark side," NEX, the Sony NEX-C3 to be exact. I'm giving it a try.

Short answer:

I love Olympus, but I was too cheap to upgrade to the E-PM2 (and the necessary newer RAW software) which I had intended to get, and found a break on the NEX-C3 which also gets me newer sensor technology.

Long answer:

I've been shooting PENs the past year--E-PL1 Feb 2012 and changed that to the E-PM1 last Sept 2012--and have really enjoyed having such quality in such a small package, and the excellent Olympus JPEG engine. Heck I had landscapes printed at 16x20 from Adorama that were out-of-camera JPEGs (and I've done RAW plenty). Once my tax refund arrived, I had intended to upgrade my E-PM1 to the E-PM2 for the new sensor technology, especially more dynamic range for landscapes, and maybe grab the Sigma 19mm/30mm pair as well.

My tax refund arrived today, nearly $8000, heck I could easily get the OM-D/EM-5 for that. However, I've always been a cheapskate, only getting the PEN models last year as long as they've been out, and I'm even worse with software, using Photoshop CS (the original version) until I learned today that Adobe now lets you download CS2 for free, and using Lightroom 3.5 the past year & a half and only then because I got it for free on a fluke (not BitTorrent). About the only thing I bought for full-price was the Nikon 50mm 1.8 G in late 2011, the year it was announced.

Unfortunately, the E-PM2 is still $500 everywhere I look, and also it's not compatible with LR 3.5, I'd also have to spend $100 on LR4, making it about a $600 purchase. Besides my cheapskate nature I still feel weird carrying around a camera everyday everywhere I go that costs that much, part of what made me feel so comfortable & casual with either my E-PL1 or E-PM1 was that I only parted with $200-250 for it to start with.

Meanwhile I saw a Sony NEX-C3 with 18-55mm for only $330 and it has the 16mp sensor much like the one my Nikon D5100 DSLR uses, and it works with Lightroom 3. So I went for it.

I might would've been okay with going for the E-PM2 and LR4 deal except I still view any mirrorless camera as the "SLR supplement" to my Nikon D5100 system (never mind that I used the Olympus more last year) & maintaining 2 systems cost-wise is a bit much. I'm still attached to DSLRs and until I feel okay selling that off and giving myself over to mirrorless totally, mirrorless tends to not get as much priority for funds as it could otherwise. (I could probably get $700 for my D5100, 18-105mm and 50mm 1.8G, that right there could get me the Sigma 19mm & 30mm pair and the Olympus 45mm 1.8, or the Olympus 9-18 for SUPER-wide landscapes.)

I still like the micro 4/3rds system, though, and certainly mirrorless overall. It has been a revelation to me in terms of the quality you can get in such a small package. They are really exciting times we are living in.

I'm now over at talknex.com (I found them without realizing they're a "sister" site to this one, nice surprise) for the time being, but I intend to still browse around here anyway. And hey, I may be back. If I don't like the NEX-C3 and catch a break on the E-PM2, I may well return back after all. You'd think having $8000 in the bank would make me just go for it, I'm just trying not to be too casual and loose and fancy-free--in past times, had this same scenario transpired, the old me would've blown half of it in seconds getting the E-M5 AND the E-PM2 AND the Panasonic 25mm 1.4 (forget about the 20mm 1.7 or the Sigma 19mm 2.8) AND the Olympus 45mm 1.8 AND the Olympus 9-18mm AND Lightroom 4 AND Photoshop CS5 AND an all-new PC, and maybe even Nikon D600 or D800 on top of all of it. I may well still keep the E-PM1 around to compare the NEX to as well.

Happy shooting everyone.
  2. atmo

atmo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Hmm, interesting decision. Personally I don't think I would enjoy the mismatched ergonomics of the NEX system (huge lens/small body) compared to the MFT way (small/small), but that's only a hypothesis.

Did you have any lenses in MFT before your switch? New bodies are always tempting but lenses make the real difference.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nothing wrong with giving another system a go if you feel that you are ready for a change. I didn't really get along with the NEX myself (5N) but some folks swear by them so hopefully you'll find yourself in the latter camp. Good luck with the switch.
  4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I went the other way, lol. I started with NEX, but couldn't handle the user interface and the cameras never quite felt right. That's crucial to me as if I have to be too fussy with the camera I get frustrated -- yes, I am basically a 3 year old when it comes to photography, lol. But if you're comfortable with an E-PM1, then I should think the NEX won't bother you much at all.

But then, I had the earlier NEX-3 and NEX-5 with no added letters. Image quality was right there, but lens choice was awful at the time. Micro four thirds was a breath of fresh air for compact system cameras and eventually led to the the complete demise of DSLR cameras for me.

I have a blog post from last year with samples and discussion as to why I was trending micro four thirds in my search for an EVIL/MILC camera: EVIL Intentions: Living in the Land of MILC and Honey