Going to a water park. What to shoot with?

ClintonM3

New to Mu-43
Hello all,

Long time lurker, recently registered. I own a OMD EM5 with a typical ascortment of prosumer lens and kit.

My young son (3 1/2 yrs old) is at an age where he would start learning to swim this summer. So we will be doing more family activities near or on water, ie by the pool, streams, water park, slip and slide, boating, etc.

I will be pretty involved, and not sitting by pool side all day. I can manage using the OMD even when playing soccer, frisbee with my kid. But I think I will be much busier and involved in the water. For one thing, water safty. Not sure how it would go, fiddling dials and buttons, etc.

So the OMD with DiCAPac or other waterproof housing option won't work for me. I can't be lugging around or hang the OMD on my neck swimming/floating/holding my child at the same time. But if someone here thinks this is the way to go, I'd love to hear the reasons.

Option 2 would be getting a Tough Series camera or equivalent. However, I haven't bought or actively used a point and shoot in such a long time, I actually find it frustrating to use (was trying it out at BestBuy). In fairness, if I am swimming and snapping photos at the same time, I'd probably leave the thing in P or Auto the whole time and be done with it. So the question here is, is this option better than option 3?

olympus-stylus-tg-2-tough-camera-red-sku-395353-large.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Option 3, getting a waterproof case for my iPhone4S. My phone contract is up in September, so whatever I get will have only one season of usage, vs getting a waterproof P&S, I'd probably get 3-4 yrs of play.

drisuit-underwater-iphone-case-01-500x333.jpg

I've read many reviews on the net, most are from casual shooters or techies POV. Being a hobbist, I obviously care about about the photos and experience. However, I have no prior experience shooting in these activities, how should one balance family time vs hobby time? I'd love to hear this crowd's perspective.

Thanks,

Clinton

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
If, for some reason, I thought it was necessary to have a camera with me at a water park I would just get the waterproof point and shoot.

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
For that I agree on a small dedicated waterproof camera.

This is a fun review by The Camera Store TV comparing three different waterproof cameras that can give you good shots. Not $50 cameras though, lol.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btcljWkpg5U]Underwater Camera Shootout: Olympus TG-2 vs. Panasonic TS5 vs. Nikon AW110 - YouTube[/ame]

As far as the family/hobby balance that's a tough one. I have a singularly indulgent wife (generally, lol) who loves my photography AND my kids are grown. So when I show up with a camera at a grandchild's event everybody thinks that's cool.

But I am an obsessed person at times and I can't honestly say I can really advise you on that balance. I've gotten it wrong most of my life -- in my latter years though it's a bit more "golden".

ahuyevshi

Mu-43 Veteran
GoPro

8869084273_f6c5665b3b_b.jpg

battleaxe

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I would go with the underwater p&s as a OMD in a waterproof housing would seem a bit larger and awkward.

If you want a little more IQ or what not there is always the option of an Canon S100 or the like and a underwater housing, which I am told you can get some quality ones for $100.

I have a GF3 and went to a local dive/snorkel shop and they suggested I take a look at some of the $100 housings they sell on ebay. They told me if this a casual hobby this particular housing will suffice. The brand is 40mm, and they make a few different ones for compact cameras also(the make for the S100 that cost about $110). For the GF3 model in particular they have one for the 14mm prime kit and the 14-42mm kit(though no zoom, like the pricier models).

LovinTheEP2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Also, what type if IQ are really trying to get and take that into consideration as well. From what I've gathered from your post, not sure the iphone is truly going to meet your needs, as you'll find yourself wanting optical zoom more often then not. If you don't zoom, I'd get an e-PM2 and get the underwater kit.

Most of your shots will probably be like u said P- mode or S- if your trying to slow the shutter for smoothing of water or intentional motion blur.

So that leaves you going with either a tough like P&S, a 1" sensor camera with underwater housing or a small form factor m43.

Or a GoPro which is the way I'd go if I were you. Most versatility.

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I work for a children's ministry and we use a few cheap waterproof/impact resistant p&s and video cameras for camp and such. Although they can't match my m4/3 or Nikon gear they work. I have filmed going down the slide and action on the swing and zipline. If one does get busted they are about $100 to replace. I do highly recommend these little cameras for such use.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Clinton, I totally err on the side of paying attention to my kid/family in the situations you are talking about. We have a waterproof P&S (Sony TX5) that gets the job done well enough. I wouldn't trade better IQ for less involvement, especially with a young child where water safety is a big deal (as you mentioned).

If I were buying a new waterproof P&S today it would either be the Olympus TG-2 or Nikon AW110.

ClintonM3

New to Mu-43
Thanks for the tip on the GoPro. I am learning more about it. I've always thought of GoPro's are for the Red Bull drinking extreme sports video shooters. Never associated them with photography...duh...it is a camera

ahuyevshi

Mu-43 Veteran
Another reason to get a gopro is the mounting options.. pick up an XShot 2.0 and with the wrist strap you can get a variety of shots and still have your hands available for your kids..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k5B29R8KCZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Amazon.com: XShot 2.0 Camera Extender for Most Cameras XS2379-F: Camera & Photo

Or get a head/chest strap and be completely hands free with the included remote.. I have a pentax WG2 and the IQ sucks compared to the GoPro which btw has a w/a 2.8 lens

8869086347_6632a31db1_b.jpg

8869702002_f4f3843cb2_b.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom