1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Going stir crazy now... About to go on a cruise, pana G5 or Oly EP3?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by asaulo1, Jun 22, 2013.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Okay... I'm going a little stir crazy now since I really want to use a m4/3 camera for my cruise. Given that the bodies above are substantially discounted, which is a better buy? I currently have the Oly 40-150 R lens and the Pana 14mm 2.5 lens ready for this. I've been reading that the G5 is better in video but I've had a couple of Oly bodies (OMD, EP1) so it's kinda familiar. Your thoughts?

2. sam_nl

sam_nl Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
    The G5 won't dissapoint that's for sure. However since you're user to Oly the learning curve might be smaller.

Sent from my LT26i using Mu-43 mobile app

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    A cruise? Bright blue sea & skies? Jpegs? e-P1 e-P2 e-pL1

Dimly-lit cabins and dinner with the captain? G5 or a new Olympus, or GX1/e-pL2 for the bounce flash.

Buy one of each!

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    With this sort of advice, no wonder we've all got GAS

Personally, I'm happy with the G5

5. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    okay, here's the kicker... I found a few deals for a brand new G5 with the 14-42 lens for less than $400 USD.... I also found a refurb (mfr refurb) Olympus EP3 body only for $299
    Which do you think is a better deal? Is the Panasonic 14-42mm lens worth the extra $100.... Being brand new, is that worth the extra $$... Things to ponder....

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    simple choice

do you want a 2012 model camera with 16MP and an electronic viewfinder built in

or a 12MP 2011 model with no viewfinder but image stabilisation

Only you can decide your priorities... in capable hands both will take great pictures

K

7. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    Rent both.

8. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I have both, get the G5 it is a more rounded camera and the image quality is better than the EP3. The build quality of the EP3 is better and if you like the form factor it is a great camera that still produces great photos.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    G5 has a better sensor, especially if you shot RAW, and better low light performance. Between the G5 and the E-P3 I'd take the G5. The E-PL5, OTOH, . . .

10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    In outdoor shooting with plenty of sun you must have EVF, get the G5.

11. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I don't have any lenses that have IS built in (except the one that will come with the G5)
    should that be a factor?

12. sam_nl

sam_nl Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
    The 40-150 handheld without IS would be a no go for me. So going for the G5 would mean trading it for a Panny lens...

Sent from my LT26i using Mu-43 mobile app

13. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Outdoors in bright light that is not even an issue, your shutter speed should be plenty high to prevent shake. I think people put too much emphasis on IS... If you're shooting indoors IS might come in handy in some situations, but the G5 has great high ISO performance to counter that. I vote G5.

14. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Well, I just wanted to update the thread... I ended up getting the EP3 kit from adorama for $349. It was just too good of a deal to pass up considering that once upon a time, the msrp for this was $899. Anyway, with the unusually long delay of the EP5 and this steal of a camera, I'm reconsidering my preorder for the EP5. I'm looking forward for it to drop in price not too long after its release since Fuji also introduced the XM-1 that's less expensive than the EP5. Thanks for all your suggestions and comments.

15. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    You couldn't lose. Both are great cameras. Buy the big grip and a vf2 (or vf4) to round out your kit, and you'll be happy camper.

16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The G5 is a better full-featured camera with a better sensor. If choosing between these two bodies, I would pick the G5. (I've had both of these cameras, BTW, recently sold them both, and really liked them BOTH.)

17. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I debated whether to get the G5 but I couldn't find a brand new one for less than $400 (I know ebay would have them but I need the camera by next week). Also, I thought the build quality of the EP3 was excellent with it's semi metal construction... I really like the swivel screen on the G5 but felt it a bit too plasticky.... I also thought about the sensor but I was pretty happy with my EP1 when I had it so I'm not really sweating that the G5 has a better one.... and lastly, IBIS was a big consideration since my main lens on this body would be the 40-150mm lens....

18. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    E-PL3 is a nice camera, no doubt. I liked mine very much, that's for sure... except in low light levels

The G5 with built-in EVF and better sensor, yielding much better IQ at higher ISOs, is a factor to be reckoned with. I feel the build quality of the G5 is plenty good for serving the purpose of the camera. Do you need a steel framed camera? :wink: The only feature it does not have is IBIS, which for the most part isn't a huge deal, but for someone who truly needs that feature, and doesn't have it in a lens, could be a deciding factor for extensive use under very low light conditions. But then again, the E-PL3 at high ISO is incredibly noisy. Do you really want that for low light photography? :confused:

We did very well in photography with no stabilization and lower ASA values, for decades. Now with the awesome IQ, at the high ISO that the G5 offers, the need for IBIS is quite subjective, indeed.

In any event, whether you select the G5 or E-PL3, you get a good camera either way. But the built-in EVF, fully articulating LCD screen, and excellent high ISO performance makes the G5 a formidable body indeed. The noise associated with the E-PL3 - at higher ISO levels - is NOT a good thing! I was very shocked when I bought my E-PL3 and shot it at slightly higher ISOs... the noise is predominant! But it performed well in good light. (I will reiterate... I have had and just sold both of the cameras being discussed here.)