1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Going solo while shooting?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by playak47, Nov 23, 2011.

1. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I am fairly new to photography. It seems the only time I end up in interesting places is when I am with friends and family. As it turns out photography can be quite time consuming, at least for me. Trying to get the right settings and composition while everyone is waiting for me can get annoying. lol

FYI: I rather go out with group of friends than go alone.

Long story short do you usually go solo for shooting or while with others? What have you experienced?

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I do my best shooting solo, when I'm free to take my time and really "look" for shots and get them right. FOr me there's 2 kinds of photography. The regular, everyday kind when people are around and you're taking snaps and "serious photography" where you're really trying to "create" something. Sometimes those 2 intersect briefly (and that's great), but for me it rarely happens.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Almost always solo. Except when traveling with my wife, when I SOMETIMES try to be both a photographer and good company at the same time. This is often frustrating for both of us, but I'm not willing to give up either her or photography and I spend enough time with her traveling when I'm not stopping to shoot much that it works out. But in any other situation, its a solo endeavor. I have some good friends, but I was effectively an only kid (my brother and sister are both quite a lot older than me, so I know them well, but they were more like a second set of parents than siblings) and have always had a loner side, and many of my hobbies have been things I can pursue alone. Photography is really good for that. Shooting with other people is just distracting...

-Ray

4. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Solo dolo!... Unless of course Im with my wife, at which point I just incorpotate her into my shot's and all is well. :) My preference is to shoot alone, I just feel like I can get lost without being distracted or having to rush.

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I haven't had a solo photo experience yet as I'm only taking pictures of my family and friends or when I'm with friends and family. I just want somebody I know to be in the frame cause it makes the photos that much more meaningful to me. Learning new camera takes time, that's why I prefer to stick with one model for a few years so it becomes second nature.

6. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
  7. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Solo for Sure.. more Focused.. :) less distractions.. kinda like going to your secret hiding place! (like when you were a Kid) LOL..

8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    joining photo clubs can be fun at times....

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Going solo is safer. No chance of "mistakes".

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I just shoot ... doesn't matter if I am solo or in a group. I have found that photography and family vacations do not mix. The only way it does mix is one schedules photo time and family time.

I have found that shooting with other photogs works well. (I use the other photogs as spotters so I don't miss shots ... I watch to see what everybody else is shooting.)

So if you don't want to shoot solo ... join a photo group ... otherwise shoot solo. (or hook up with a very understanding partner with beaucoup patience ... then again you'll end up paying for all that understanding and patience ... lol)

G

11. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Almost always solo. I do some of my best work that way. (Paid wedding shoots are a different story, and I try to bring an assistant every time).

12. oldoldold

oldoldold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Joe Milan
    Solo for landscapes (which I love). I've recently done some volunteer event shooting with lots of people around. It's been fun, but I don't think I'm good at it,yet.

13. Why change your social life for your hobby? Try taking photos of your friends, that is such an important skill anyway. The reason m43 has improved my photography is the fast lenses and larger sensor. I can now take pics in low light and get real separation between subject and background. What used to be just "people shots" of friends and family now look like portraits. My wife does much more PP than I do, to her it's just another form of makeup!

14. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Its great to see so much feedback. Thank You

Dont get me wrong. I love taking pictures of family and catching the "moments". This is probably my favorite things to do because these personal memories are priceless to me. There are times when I want to do other types of photography but those landscapes are only possible with friends when I am going out of town.

I guess your experience agrees with mine. I just need to get out more on my own and motivate myself to spend time alone to get the quality shots I need. Or I can designate "me" time when I am out with friends.

15. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Solo for sure, but I also shooting with flickr friends where we discover new areas to shoot. Then I usually go back to those areas to shoot solo :smile:

16. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    Fore pure photo taking experience, I like solo better. Just like exploring new corners of the city or just going shopping. You can take your own time, anjoy things you like. Nobody to slow down or keep pace to. There's also no friends to care about what they like or what annoys them during the trip.
    But I’m socially inept :p

Group shot with photo club in my case is fun because the pack size give benefit of intimidation in the more dangerous or uncooperative places.

If you're going with friends, just play with them first and take pictures later. You can always return later days to that place alone for your own adventure.

17. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I never really shoot alone. People interest me the most as subjects. Micro Four Thirds has helped me get into a comfortable position where people are relaxed about me having my camera out in plenty of situations.

18. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    going alone enables to be at peace with yourself and your camera.... both of you as one. harmony. :biggrin:

19. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Maybe a semantic issue here - I'm almost always shooting AMONG people, but its a solo endeavor - I'm not out with other people shooting as well and talking about the photography as we go. But, yeah, I'm in very crowded situations as often as possible for people shooting, but I still consider it solo shooting.

-Ray

20. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I do most of my shooting solo, especially the street shooting which has become an extension of my walking for exercise and people watching which I already did plenty of. My partner is not noted for patience with my photography, but he has gotten used to slowing down a bit so I can take SOME shots; still it slows both of us down, so the shooting is never as "focused" as it were. I am lucky that one of my best friends moves slowly and takes lots of pics herself and another simply moves very slowly, so when either of them are visiting here I can still take pics at close to normal levels.