1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Going round in circles

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by FredUK, Jan 29, 2012.

1. FredUK

FredUK Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    I've been going round in circles for weeks trying to decide what camera to buy. I've sort of narrowed my list down to a GF2 or a EPM1 and I think that an Olympus EPM1 is about as close as I am going to get to what I want for the money I have but I have concerns. If you have any experiences of these concerns could you please help?
    I have read about IBIS problems at shutter speeds around 1/100 of a second - Is this true and if it is how hard is it to live with?
    Also I have read that Panasonic lenses make rattling noises on PENs which is a concern because I'd like to get Panasonic 14mm and 20mm lenses in the future - Do either of these lenses rattle on EPM1s and if they do is it a problem or can it be stopped?
    Another question I have is about the screen - Is the screen good enough to allow focusing of old manual lenses?

2. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I've not used Panasonic lenses on my EPM1. I own the kit and the Olympus 17 2.8 both are great lenses. The EPM1 is fast. The only camera I used that is faster is the Nikon 1 series and I'm happy with the IQ of the Pen.

The IBIS issue is real and for a moment I thought the camera was broken but then I found this forum and realized its a design flaw. I use the Super Control Panel which makes operation so much easier and fast on this camera, it takes maybe three seconds to turn off IBIS. Once I started using the SCP I didnt' mind at all about the IBIS issues. Get the camera, you'll love it. Also get fast cards too. I use a Sandisk Extreme 45mb/s card and it clears the buffer quickly. I shoot RAW + Jpeg exclusively.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I had a GF2 and sold it. I have an E-PM1 and like it quite a lot. I also liked the GF2 but there were a few things about the E-PM1 that tipped the scales.

The availability of a good EVF. The LVF1 for the GF2 isn't bad but its not in the same class as the Olympus VF2. Not even close. If the new Panasonic LVF2 worked with the GF2 I might not have made the switch. The E-PM1 has better OOC color. Yes I know you can adjust the Panasonic to be just as nice but it is a bit less hassle to have it look good right out of the box with no fussing. I don't have a GF2 to test against anymore but I'd swear the E-PM1 meters more consistently. The E-PM1 has more controls over video. As fast as the GF2 is (and it is very quick) the E-PM1 is faster and that's pretty handy. I do miss the thumbwheel on the GF2 but I set the video button on the E-PM1 to be focus assist/magnify and the control wheel on the back (while it takes some getting used to) ends up being a decent option. The GF2 has a better grip (barely) and the built-in flash is more convenient. Also the Super Control Panel (SCP) makes up for the E-PM1 having fewer physical controls. It's terrific.

As to weaknesses of the E-PM1...I have not had any issues with IBIS and I shoot a lot with legacy glass but then again the GF2 does have any IBIS so it's not like it would be better. I often turn off the IBIS (IBIS isn't a big deal for me). I have both the Panasonic 14 and 20 and it doesn't seem that much nosier that normal. The 20 on the other hand has always been slowish to focus and a bit noisy but not disagreeably so. The 20 was a bit faster to AF on my GF2 and G2 but I don't find it to be an issue on the E-PM1. It's a lot slower to AF on my E-P1. The 14 is just terrific...fast AND quiet.

I got a silver one and put a Aki-Asahi leatherette on it. I like it a lot.

4. FredUK

FredUK Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Thanks for the SCP tip. That would help :thumbup:
    One of the things that puts me off the GF2 is the jpeg colours. I've had a couple of Panasonic point and shoots and have never really liked Panasonic jpeg colours and I am too lazy to processes RAW.

I just found this video of a Panasonic 20mm on an EPL1. Does this happen on the EPM1?
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnEP41U1dgM]Oympus E-PL1 and 20/1.7 - YouTube[/ame]