Going out for the day.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ripleys baby, Jan 27, 2012.

1. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Ok, So you have (or may have) A bag overflowing with lenses.
    How often do you just pic one , knowing that thats it. Right or wrong choice.
    For the whole time you are out.:eek:
    Me, i like the, get on with it and do the best you can with the tools you have at the time.
    Or do you prefer to play it safe, And take the lot.

Today i just took my 14mm. It turned out just fine.
    (that would be on the pany 14mm image thread) :smile:
  2. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I would like to think that I can guesstimate the focal lengths I need for the day, so I usually pick a few. If what I bring is not appropriate, I try to make do. This has turned out to be a great way of learning focal lengths.
  3. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    I have often taken the whole kit and wished I had taken only the lens(es) I needed, and I have often taken only the lens(es) I needed and wished I had taken the whole kit. You can't expect to get it right all the time.

So I usually take my whole kit in the car, then take out only the lens(es) that I need. My car is never further than a 10 minute walk away, but I suppose that depends on what you shoot and where. It suits my street and people subjects, and architectural subjects too. But it wouldn't work for landscapes where I might be further from the car.
  4. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I'm down to two lenses (7-14 and 20mm), so I take them both. When I had three (14-150 also), I took all three. My bag is big enough and the lenses are small enough that everything fits fine and isn't that heavy or cumbersome. When I was still shooting SLR, I had to pick and choose - glad I don't have that problem anymore.

I don't tend to switch lenses out a lot, but when I really need f/1.7 I'm glad I have the 20 on me.
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I have different kits already made and ready to go depending on how much I need to carry for the day. I can take my smallest kit with one lens (the kit that can literally go anywhere with me), or I can take the satchel with a few prime lenses covering a full range, with one flash and bracket, or I can take that along with my backpack with large zoom lenses, multiple speedights,specialized macro lens, etc. I need a few bodies to keep these kits going, too.