Going full m43 or not...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Chrisnmn, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hey guys ive been around this forum for a couple of months now ive read a good amount of information to start wondering if its better for me to go full mu43 or still keep my FF gear. Dont worry ive read the ten+ pages on the omd v s 5d thread more than once so this not the same thread (i guess/hope). I do have a 5dmkii with a 50mm f1.4 plus. 70-200mm f4L lens and as a backup or everyday camera my EPL2 +14mm + VF2 and i love it.

So my question is, is it worth to go full mu43 or should i stick with what i have, i see/feel the restrictions of both formats for me.

The epl2: love the size, compact-ness, IQ, though i cant say its slow (af), i do feel it bit slower than my 5d and though i love its IQ for street shooting i don feel their raw images good enough to work with*. Also poor battery life thoug i do carry spares
    The 5dmkii: is just a beast in terms of IQ and its af speed for me at least is perfect, coupled with the 70-200 f4L is stunning, couldnt ask for more, but the size and weight specially with that lens is not a carry around camera for sure. And since ive got my epl2 this baby has been staying at home for a while unless im out shooting landscapes, which i havent got that good results yet with my epl2.

*What do i do?, im a senior designer and photographer working in a big agency, as well i shoot and design on my own as well, and i do a lot of photo retouching specially photomontage and illustrations, cd artworks and stuff like that, and my 5d fits that bill perfectly, but i would love to do the same with my epl2. But im still not sure.

Ive read all the reviews possible till now about the omd, and ive seen in dpreview the jpeg and raw comparison in between these two (5dmkii and omd), and though im not asking the omd to be BETTER than my 5d im looking in terms of a SAME thing at a way smaller pack. Half the size to be honest.

I should also mention that video is definitely not even on my checklist, i do photos, tons of photos, but not video and im not interested, so if the camera has or not this function is the same to me, and somehow im feeling that on my 5d im just using just half of the camera because i dont shoot video.

Also if i sell my ff gear i certainly can get the best of the m43 by now, thinking in camera obviously plus the p20, oly45 and maybe the oly12 if it is WAY better than my p14?.

I know the question should be "what do I NEED" and this is what i need:

Shoot print size (20in+ would be more than enough)
    Great iq and dr for landscape as well for studio work
    Fast af
    Good battery life (one thing i dont like on my epl2 compared to my 5d i know its because of the evf instead of the ovf)
    Awesome affordable glass (paying 1.8k for a canon 35mm L that also adds 1kg to the camera not on my league/interest)
    small/light package

And as you could guess im not rich to afford both top mu43 plus ff gear at the same time, and i dont mind just having just one body, I just want THAT camera i want to use and carry every single day for work or for personal stuff.

Sorry guys about the lomg testament, just looking for some more serious advice now.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Given your requirements, I think for the time being that you should keep running two systems until 1) the native lens selection for Micro Four-Thirds grows, and 2) you can afford that higher end glass. The problem is not moving from a DSLR to Non-Reflex, but rather in replicating your glass. The two problems that arise for that in your situation are 1) lower availability of funds and 2) the requirement of "fast AF" limits the use of non-native lenses (ie, like the Zuiko Four-Thirds collection) which could meet all your requirements except with slow AF.

Later this year we should have a fuller collection of native glass (with fast AF) such as the Lumix X 12-35mm f/2.8, Lumix X 35-100mm f/2.8, m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, m.Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 Macro, and old favorites like the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit, Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux, and m.Zuiko 12mm f/2. I would wait till later in the year when all those lenses are available, then see what you can budget for the ones you need/want.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I see what you mean Ned and i really appreciate your honest answer. It makes sense when you mean about replicating my glass selection. For landscape it doesnt matter a quick af, but it does for street shooting or birding.

What matters most to me is to get an equivalent of my 70-200mm f4L lens but you said theres a lumix 35-100 f2,8 by the end of the year? That could be the one to complete that part. Maybe? Or depending on how expensive that zoom lens could be get the oly45 and the new oly75?

And for my 50 i thin the P20 should be enough for that part?

But what about the omd? Or should i wait for the omd2?

Too many questions...ha! Thanks again Ned
  4. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I can't give advice more than what Ned already pointed. Basically if you already know all the limitation of m4/3 format and you still don't mind bring heavy DSLR with you I say keep both system for a while. I'm a designer with diverse media. I use m4/3 for my personal need and my professional job as long as my client let me use m4/3. If not then I still hire my fellow photographer with their Full DSLR gear. Whatever makes my client more confident, it's their money anyway.

For Ned I just wondering what happen with your member status? How come you became new member again?
  5. Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2012
    I just got rid of all my Nikon D700 gear and lenses. Weight was just too much for enthusiast photog like myself. Just got the OM-D yesterday and so far really like the camera. Only have the kit lens for now (Oly 12/2, and Panny 25/1.4 on the way). I've got my preorder in for the 75/1.8 as well. Since rarely print, the m43 will be just fine for me. I might miss the nice DOF I got from my Nikon, but the Oly OM-D with the right lenses can be really nice as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I shoot an EM5, 5D2, and 7D. A few miscellaneous thoughts:

1) There are no telephotos in M43 right now that can match the 70-200/4 in IQ nor in short DOF on your 5D2. The coming 35-100/2.8 might meet or beat it in IQ and will be only a stop deeper in DOF, so that will probably be your answer, so long as you aren't scared off by a >$1000USD price tag. But either way, the 35-100 is not out yet, and the rest of the lineup is all f/5.6 right now.

2) The EM5 still isn't as clean as the 5D2 at 100%. Scratch that, I'd say nobody is as clean at low ISO as Canon, full stop. Personally I'm not bothered by this; it's only at 100% I notice it, and even 20x30's from my old E-410 looked good to me, but those who like spotless 100% crops might still have an issue with the EM5. It's the best M43 yet, but it's not the smooth plastic look of Canon that many people insist upon.

3) Battery life is crap on the EM5. Worse than my other M43 cameras I'd wager. This is compounded by the lack of decent batteries for purchase. I'm dying for a good second cell right now. I've already had the camera die on me twice in the field. Unacceptable. If you're shooting the camera professionally right now, you'll have to buy the cheap Chinese knockoffs to tide you over, because one battery won't get you through any big job.

If you need an excellent short telephoto I recommend waiting until the 35-100 is released before making the leap to M43. By that time the GH3 will probably be out and maybe it will be an even better choice for you. And even if not, by then you'll likely be able to at least get a battery for the EM5 so you can shoot all day without worrying about tending your battery.

Wish I could tell you to just go for it! I've still got some EOS equipment too, because for some uses it's still just too good to sell. Someday soon, I hope....
  7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I don't have just one system. Probably never will.
  8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Print size is not limited to pixel resolution not sensor size.

Since this is for professional work, presumably for a client, keep your FF equipment. Shoot both. When you can afford the OM-D, then ad that. I would not be dumping a system I knows works well for one that might.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Your 5dmk2 will provide you precise AF focus points and the M43 will NOT. I own 2x 5dmk2 and 5d classic and have no urge to letting them go.

Are you a casual shooter? would you mind missing photos from time to time due to the rather large focus square of the M43???

For paid photo sessions I would not use my Olympus OM-D since every expression and angle counts for portrait work. Even though I do not photograph for a living I do have extremely high expectations from my gear.

I think you should decide how critical accuracy is to you. If Keeper rate is not the ultimate priority then the M43 is a great system.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thank you guys for all your answers, i think i should keep running with both system for both my personal and professional work. Yes, in my professional work i do need a reliable camera with good speed and results and for that my 5dmkii delivers exactly what i need/expect. i just thought that because of the size that sometimes you get with that camera coupled to some of the lenses that bothers me, specially now that i have a mu43 system in my bag all the time. and on the other hand all the omd love and comparisons thought it was time to get the same results, half the size/weight.

And like someone said, ill just try to add an omd just when i can afford it, but im keeping my ff stuff. Thank you guys, i really appreciate all your thoughts and comments!
  11. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    I have a 1DMKII plus a 40D with an assortment of L glass as well as some tamrons and Sigmas. My husband and I both shoot. I recently got a m43 camera Panny G3 with kit lens and an OLY 45-175. While the m43 is great and I enjoy it's lightness, I can't see it fully replacing my DSLR equip. Especially the 70-200 2.8 IS. I still want the newest 5D & 1D bodies but finances are not there. By the time I can again afford high end equipment maybe the m43 lens would have caught up to the Canons
  12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    One thing about camera choices for work, is also how easy will it be to find a replacement for your equipment, either rental or purchase.
  13. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    "...I just want THAT camera i want to use and carry every single day for work or for personal stuff."
    This statement that you made in your opening post answers your question. It also answered mine.

I have been producing more video work these days so my GH2 and the heavy Voigtlander 25mm is what I have been using more. I spent yesterday doing street photography as I was hired by an up and coming girl vocal group to follow them around while they shopped for trendy clothes in a popular area of Los Angeles. After an hour lugging my camera bag, I got tired. I returned the bag to the car. I had plenty of Southern California sunshine so I didn't need the 25mm.

Instead, I just took the seldom used GF1, Oly 12mm, a spare battery, lens hood, ND filter, and and spare SD card.

In 5 hours of work, I shot ~500 images, and 2 dozen videos.

There was no way in hell that I was going to lug around a Canon 5D, D800, or AF100 in that amount of time.

I still work with the Nikon D700 (to be replaced by the D800) in the studio. That will not change. For casual or low profile shoots such as the one that I did yesterday, :43: is my preferred format.
  14. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    For many of us who shoot commercially, the m4/3 gear is a wonderful addition to our larger FF gear for some applications - but not a replacement for it.

My 5DMkII kit still rules the roost for the majority of my commercial work, but I use the m4/3 kit for all of my personal and travel photography. I also use the wonderful LX5 a good bit and my iPhone camera sometimes as well. M4/3 fills a niche wonderfully, but it is no replacement for alternative formats for some applications.

In your case, m4/3 may suffice as a replacement for your larger gear... Just depends on what your unique requirements are. Best to retain the larger gear until you know from considerable experience with the smaller kit that you are certain your needs are fully met without the larger gear.
  15. zerodi

zerodi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Just found this forum :) Ive been wanted to ask. Im in a situation where by I have an APS-C D7000 nikon, I dont use it much as i feel its too big to lug around outside all the time.

Im thinking of selling it and my only 1 lens the 16-85 nikon and going for the EM5. Where I live it comes only with the kit lens but i want to get the 20 f1.7 and then start growing my collection from there.

IQ wise I can see from the EM5 and d7000 its pretty much the same, I shoot alot of street stuff, some landscape and some portraits but mostly just anything. Also I was thinking the EM5 would be a good buy then if i want to upgrade to FF when i can afford it then id upgrade to the D800E or something later on.

I dont think the EM% is anyworse and possibly better than the aging d7000 do you? from looking just at jpg quality the EM5 is streets ahead even at high ISO, my d7000 at least has horrible jpg outputs, I always shoot Raw with this thing.

Would like some thoughts if poss, thanks :)
  16. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    In most regards I found the IQ the equivalent on the OMD that my D7000 was putting out, so I sold it. Also had no reason to keep the NEX-5N either. It covers all those bases nicely.
  17. zerodi

zerodi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Nice !! Well I'll trade my d7000 in but they only have the black EM5 here I wanted the silver only for old school aesthetics :)