1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Going from Panasonic 25mm to Panasonic 20mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by colbycheese, Apr 12, 2014.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    So i have decided to get a Panasonic 20mm to replace my Leica 25mm. The reason for this is the weight. I am having back and arm problems from extended use of my camera, so i have decided to go to something lighter. Is this change really considered an downgrade? Or is the 20mm still a great lens? Also, what is the best way to sell a lens? Gonna try the local store and see what they offer me. I don't think it will be the best price i could get but selling online will take time. So what do you think is the best way to get rid of the 25mm lens and get the 20mm? I also have a second kit lens that i don't need anymore and im planing on getting rid of it too.
    Thanks

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You will be fine with the 20mm. AF is slower. I sold mine mainly because I wanted something closer to a normal focal length. Sell online for the best price. Sell at a store and you'll take a big hit but you will get cash faster. The store is a middle man that needs to make a profit.... sometimes as much as 40 to 50% less for cash out the door. Consignment is 20 to 30% but again you won't get cash right away.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    It's not a downgrade optically. More of a side grade. It renders differently, but is still superb. Field of view is quite different. Its more of a narrow 35 than a wide 50. If you really like the 50mm FOV, the O25 is an option for a smaller lighter lens that seems quite good optically (but has a more neutral character than the PL25). The P20 focus is slower, but its never been an issue for the way I shoot. Honestly, if you are able, I would keep both (at least until you really see the differences). The field of view is different enough so that if you can, keeping both would make sense.

4. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I found the field of view of the 25mm too narrow for my liking, so i think the 5mm difference will help with that. I find i struggle to fit my whole subject into the frame. I dont see having any regrets with just having the one lens.

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Then by all means, get the 20. I have always preferred the 35mm FOV, so the 20 has been my main walk around lens since I started w/m43. To sell the 25, try the forums here or Ebay.

6. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I will go to a store as soon as i have time to see what they offer me. I am slightly concerned about selling it online because i have never done it and there is some extra fees involved. We will see what kind of price they offer me.

7. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    What about pawn shops. That may be worth trying

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Maybe dive in and start a thread on "how to sell online" (it would probably be useful to others as well). The other methods you mention will not be favorable to your wallet.

9. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    maybe i will do that. Ill see what happens then

10. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Ebay is probably your best bet on getting a good price.

11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    It's not a downgrade in terms of image quality, but it is slower in operation and aperture. If you are OK with that and don't mind the wider view, then it's fine.

12. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    eBay is a pretty easy way to sell gear. I sold all my Canon stuff that way, but the fees do take a bite out of what you get. I would list it here first to see if here wants it. If it didn't sell here then I'd list on ebay. There is only one local store in my area and they don't sell :43: gear, so I doubt they would give me much. Even on my Canon gear, I don't think they'd give me but about half what I sold it for on ebay. Selling on ebay is not that hard. For an idea on what price to ask, I looked at completed auctions of the same item to see what they were selling for and priced accordingly.

13. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Ebay would be the most reliable way to get a decent price quickly. If you were to list your lens in the buy and sell forum here it would probably get you the best price, but it might take longer as there is no end date.

14. jayweh32

jayweh32 New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2014
    Or you could trade it for one. I'm sure there are a few owners of the 20mm that would trade for the 25mm. Where are you located?

15. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Keep both...each are different...I love the faster 1.4 glass and better contrast, but like the 20mm view angle better (and smaller pancake size)

• Like Like x 1
  16. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I'm surprised people are suggesting ebay when we have a fantastic buy/sell community right here at mu-43.com. I have had very good luck as a buyer here (haven't sold anything yet). It is less risky here than with ebay. You will get a fair price for your 25mm and another forum member will get a nice, lightly used (I presume) lens cheaper than retail prices.

17. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Another vote for keep both. That's what I did.

The 20mm mainly for walkaround and when I want to stay lightweight on a small body (GX1, GX7), 25mm when I'm working on a serious project and want the slightly narrower FOV with a more "normal" perspective.

But if you absolutely must sell it, I'd try this site's buy/sell forum, I've bought a few lenses and an OMD E-M5 body here and found the people to be very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. If you use PayPal and go by the rules (let them have their 3% cut) there is some degree of protection for both buyer and seller. I much prefer using this forum over ebay.

But seriously consider keeping both.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    agree...I've run into some great deals here and on other forums...75% of my gear was purchased this way. I stay away from EBAY and the likes.

19. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    If you decide to sell, I would echo what others have said about trying to sell here on mu-43 first. I usually take a look at what lenses are going for on Ebay and then discount a bit (~10% Ebay fees) when listing on mu-43. Stuff usually moves quickly and everyone is happy. :smile:

20. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I've been thinking the same thing lately. I had the 20mm, sold to buy the 25mm but now I miss the size/weight combo of the 20mm. I'm also considering the 17mm 1.8 or 25mm 1.8 from Olympus, as they are smaller and almost as light as the 20mm but without the slow focus motor which used to annoy me a little.

Comparing my shots from the 20mm and 25mm they look fairly equivalent in terms of sharpness on screen, and both capable of relatively shallow depth of field.