Going for primes: 14, 30, 45

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by marygoround, Sep 11, 2012.

1. marygoround

marygoround Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    Philippines
    Mary
    Currently on the verge of going for those 3 primes. Re acquiring 14 again after selling it a couple of months back. I know it may not be the best trio compared to 12, 20 or 25 and 45. But nonetheless I'd like to believe that it will suffice my needs. lol. Am I making a good decision for the combination of lenses?

Thanks,

Mary

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think that is a very nice combo! The 14mm is just great and has some size advantages compared to the Oly 12. The 45 is just great. The only tricky thing for me on the Sigma is the field of view (60mm), is a little narrow on m4/3. I would be tempted to sub in the 20/1.7, as it is faster, is very sharp, and maybe a more flexible focal length, given you will have the 14 and 45.

• Like Like x 1
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It is a very evenly spaced trio! 14{almost15mm} doubled equals a 30mm then add another 15mm and you have the 45mm.

I don't have the 30mm but I love using my old 28mm legacy lenses on M4/3 , a longish normal. The only lens that is really fast is the 45mm but if you don't need the speed those lenses should work. I will keep an eye on this thread because it sound like a very doable trinity of lenses.

• Like Like x 2
  4. marygoround

Jul 19, 2012
    Philippines
    Mary
    Thanks for the insight, Krugorg. 14, 25 & 45 = my perfect trio in mind but the 25 is just bloody expensive here not mentioning its scarcity. Tsk, tsk. So I have to scratch it off the list. Contemplating if I should go for 14 & 45 combo for the meanwhile then re evaluate my need for the 30.

In fact that is my very reason for considering the trio. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  5. david6785

david6785 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2012
    las vegas
    I have the 20 and sigma 30, I absolutely love each of them. There is something about the 30 focal that I can't get enough of.

6. marygoround

Jul 19, 2012
    Philippines
    Mary
    Great to know that, David! I can easily get the 14 & 45 here in Manila but the 30 has to be bought in ebay, no available here, AFAIK. Bummer.

7. kartonos

kartonos Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 4, 2012
    Would like to share a bit in my experience,

I started using 14-42 when I bought E-P3 last year for my holiday trip to Japan and I bought 45mm along the way... upon using 45mm, I kinda dislike it because I'm not used to the length (potrait) and kinda regret my purchase...

But for some reason everytime I tried to sell it, i don't know how but it always got canceled at the end and then when I purchase OM-D 3 months ago, combination of EVF & better IBIS makes this lens much more fun to use and enjoyed every shot this combo produces.

Then I made impulse buying on Voigtlander 25mm F/0.95 knowing that I'm not used at all with manual focus and kinda cheated my self for skipping Panasonic Leica 25mm all along... again, I wanted to sell it but my next holiday trip is on the edge, this would serve good as a perfect night lens / video lens.

Another impulse was on Panasonic 14mm pancake, knowing that I really wanted Olympus 12mm F/2.0 but my wallet unable to justify the price tag. But at $165 price tag, it's a complete bargain for a small & sharp lens like 14mm.

Then finally, last week I purchase Olympus 40-150mm just for the sake completing the line up... a telephoto lens! I haven't use it that much...

I forgot to mention 12-50 lens that comes with OM-D kit... I'll be honest I hate this lens for the IQ but I can't live without the convenience of zoom length which this lens provide. Many said this lens was sharp and better than 14-42, but to me it's just not good enough to match OM-D. Was thinking to upgrade to Panasonic 12-35 if I got a chance but today's Photozone review kinda back me off...

Now finally... I wanted a WA or UWA lens...
    do you think I should get DMW-GWC1 (Panasonic Wide Angle converter) for 14mm or get Samyang/Rokinon 7.5mm Fisheye or Olympus 9-18mm ... and knowing that i couldn't afford Panasonic 7-14mm at the first place?

8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Hopefully the rumored 25/1.8 that Olympus is working on will come to fruition as a lower cost option to the Panny 25/1.4. If so then the 14/25/45 would be a sweet and relatively inexpensive trio.

9. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    I"m a long time prime shooter, and my issue with your plan is spacing. I like 2:1 ratios between my lenses, so there's never confusion about which lens to use for a particular subject. I have the 14, 20, and 45 and find the perspectives offered by the 14 and 20 are too similar to merit carrying both. I think the same "crowding" issue would apply to the 30 and 45.

• Like Like x 2
  10. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I'd agree with Frank. I see the Sigma 30 and Olympus 45 as alternatives, in a way - I've just (today) decided on, and bought, the Sigma because I think that and my Panasonic 14mm will be a great duo. The money I saved allows me to keep dreaming that one day maybe, just maybe, I might be able to afford an Olympus 75!

I'd say the Panasonic 20 would be a great pairing with the Olympus, if you're not worried about wide-angle capability. But I never find myself carrying the 14 and the 20 together, and I suspect you'd find the same with the 30 and the 45.

11. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    Go for it! Thats what I have and its working out great for me, all superb performers. Each lens provides a significant jump in field of view to my liking. I find 25mm (equiv 50mm) to be a pretty boring focal length, so I prefer the view from my 30mm.

I also use the Olympus OM 100mm f2.8 on the long end and plan to add the Samyang 7.5mm fish which can be nicely defished (Fisheye-Hemi plugin) on the short end to round out things. The new Olympus 75mm f1.8 is a nice lens, just not a big enough jump in telephoto effect compared to the 45mm f1.8, so I'll wait for a longer AF prime.

The gang, left to right 14mm, 45mm, 30mm on camera, 100mm OM:
    Sigma30mm_LensCamera3.

• Like Like x 1
  12. marygoround

Jul 19, 2012
    Philippines
    Mary
    Point taken, Uncle frank and chasm. As I've mentioned in my previous post, I might just consider getting the 14 and 45 combo then re evaluate my need for the 30. Or 14 and 30? since I also have the 40-150. Will be getting 30 or 45 before december, as my early christmas present for myself, lol.

Nice! Thanks, Qwerty for posting your lenses! :smile:

13. marygoround

Jul 19, 2012
    Philippines
    Mary
    Just got reunited with 14mm, 12 minutes ago to be exact. lol. Now its either 30 or 45.

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - this would be a great set. Here's hoping . . . :biggrin:

15. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    If you are going to purchase only one lens next, it should definitely be the 45mm f1.8, just an amazing lens.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I currently have the 14 and the 45-200. I know many of you would say to get the 45, but I would like something more normal for the time being. F-stops and focus speed aside, would you guys recommend the 20 in there? The PL 25 is kind of out of the question right now. I thought an inexpensive Olympus 25 would do the trick, but it doesn't sound like it's going to come out any time soon. The 14+zoom covers a lot of ground for not taking up much space, but I've definitely had times where I need something closer than the wide.

17. NikkoExiledInSF

NikkoExiledInSF Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I recommend the Oly 12mm - bought it to replace the 14mm which is heading for EBay.

N

18. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    The 20/1.7 is a great lens, and although it doesn't focus quite as fast as either the 14 or the 25, it's not terrible. If I am only leaving the house with one lens, it is definitely the Pany 20mm.

That said, I also find the 14 and 20 a little too close in focal length at times (the 20 always feels "wide" to me) and would like to see a less-expensive option in a 25mm.

19. marygoround

Jul 19, 2012
    Philippines
    Mary
    Im eyeing the 45 now, Qwerty. Will be getting it before december. Brandnew costs 15,000 pesos here in Manila.

20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    It sorta all depends on what you shoot as to which primes would work out best. I'd start with the 14mm and 45mm and see if you really need/desire a close to 'normal' type prime.

The 14mm and 45mm, with a bit of foot-zooming, should cover the 'normal' 25mm-ish FOV range quite easily and deliver images with a bit more character than a normal lens would convey.

Gary

• Like Like x 1