Going down memory lane with OM-D, 20/1.7, and 25/1.4

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, May 7, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I received a 25mm DG Lux from B&H today. Comparing that lens with the Pana 20/1.7 on the OM-D brings me right back to the memories of my OM-2n. Back then, I had an OM 40/2 and an OM 50/1.2, so the tradeoffs were similar: speed vs size and weight. Mild tele normal vs mild wide normal.

The Summilux seems to be a very sweet lens and balances fine on the OM-D, but if history is any indicator, the 20/1.7 is going to see a lot more use. The form factor is perfect with the smaller lens, and I share Mike Johnston's view that the 40mm angle of view is just about right.

• Like Like x 7
  2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I agree wholeheartedly. In my taste, the focal closest to the sensor / film diagonal always seems the more "natural".

Cheers,

3. I think the E-M5/PL25 will be my No. 1 combination, helped in no small part by the fact that you need to point the camera towards Hades itself to get the PL25 to rattlesnake!

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Time to update the sig, my lucky friend :smile:.

5. Ah yes, you're right! And time to decide which of the incumbents stays or goes...

6. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    I keep going back and forth between these two lenses, I guess that's a sign that I should keep them both? :biggrin:

They're both great lenses, just depends on what focal length you prefer.

7. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    keep both. I intend to get the 25 somewhere along the way.... will prioritize the 75 first... if the 75 comes out too late like forever, ill succumb to the 25.

8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Keep both. I sold my 20mm to get the 25. I don't regret having the 25mm, which I love, but I miss the 20mm and will almost surely get it again when the budget permits: that is to say in some distant future.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Sold my 25 to get the 20 for travel. As close as they are, they really are two different lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Indeed, I plan to continue using both. I wonder if rebadging the pancake as the 19.9/1.7 might reduce the numer of comparisons between the two lenses? I have yet to see the Sigma 19mm compared against the PL25.

11. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    the sigma is significantly slower though. 1.7-1.4 isn't that much difference.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    For me, the 20/1.7 stays for as long as I shoot Micro 4/3. It's one of my all time favorite lenses for any system.

• Like Like x 2
  13. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Just the reason why I'm so tempted to get the Nokton 17.5mm to replace/complement the Nokton 25mm :smile: I just think it's a 'bit more' right...

14. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Amin, sorry haven't kept up... congrats on the E-M5! :bravo-009:

I have both the 20 and 25 and feel similarly... most of the time I will go with the 20/1.7, taking the size/weight savings. I also prefer the focal length as it is a bit better as an all-rounder for me. I took the E-M5 and 20/1.7 to a concert this past weekend, and it felt very compact and stealthy... wasn't worried about bumping into someone, etc.

20120505-E-M5-P5050007-Edit.

I would love to see a 20/1.7 mk II from Panasonic! :biggrin:

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Awesome concert shot!

I guess that's the one thing that could make me give up my 20/1.7, but I'm not sure how they could improve it. Optically I can't find fault, and I'm guessing that faster and/or quieter AF would come at the expense of size.

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don't know anything about AF design, but it was en early, early design. I'm hopeful they could make it both faster and a bit more sure in low light. That's all they'd need to do.

17. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    They could make is easier to use with step up filters, maybe add a bayonet hood mount, ability to add a wide angle or macro adapter like you can on the 14mm, maybe get it to focus a bit closer.

18. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    And make it all black, like they did with the newer 14's. The grey is neither here nor there - it can't match the colour of my E-M5. :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I guess there are always things that could be improved, but I find the minimum focus distance to be already excellent, and none of those other things would matter to me at all.

20. A faster focusing 20/1.7 might require a total redesign. I believe that it is a unit focusing lens where the whole optical assembly moves in and out to focus. All of the fastest focusing m4/3 lens use internal focusing.