Going crazy part II. New camera and lenses

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Gargamel, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Gargamel

Gargamel New to Mu-43

Jul 15, 2015
    1. First, let's talk about the body. My camera of choice for 4 years now is Olympus EPL-3. I love how small it is and still very capable. I miss better popout flash, EVF and techology came a long way in these 4 years so i would like to buy new body. Because i would like a better build in flash (i have Metz 44 if i really want a punch sometimes), very good EVF and still stay compact as possible, my eye is on the Olympus OM-D M10 body.
      It is a much better camera then my old EPL-3, still has a movable screen, which is important to me for low/high shots, i think it has more powerfull flash then click on version on EPL-3, and EVF is good too.
      I can get this body for 360 eur (390$) new right now. Is this a good choice or i should check Panasonic too (which model)? Or should i wait for mark II model of M10? Help me out here...

They are killing me...i already own 45mm 1.8. Olympus one. I'm selling Olympus 14-42mm IIR and 40-150mm (i'm not using it at all). I'm buying new walkaround lens and i would like to capture wider shots too sometimes.
      I shoot my kid and wife a lot. Portraits or in city/landscape environment. 45mm 1.8 was great for that but it is too long for city/landscape/indoor party type shots where you need more width. I also noticed, that i had to be too away from kid for example and other people were walking between me and a kid or i lost contact with her and so on. Flash was to far sometimes and didn't give me enough light...

So i need new lens or two...or three...must be prime, SMALL, light, fast, great IQ, contrasts...(stop laughing).

I was shooting with my zoom for some time now to see what focal lenght is good for me. I thought i need really wide lens but now i see i really don't because i need to be too close to my subject. I would also like to shoot some portraits with this lens and so on. Really wide will be needed a lot less then something normal. So i decided my focal length will be 20mm. Before that i was set to Panasonic 15mm, but it just feels too wide. So naturaly my choice should be Panasonic 20mm 1.7II. I like the price too. It covers all my boxes, except AF speed. I really need to know HOW GOOD or BAD this lens is in AF department? In normal daylight can i walk around, see my kid standing on a corner and just take a shot, or will she be in another country before 20mm focuses already? Are low light shots really almost impossible?

Is there any other small, fast 20mm lens to check? I know about Sigma 19mm, but it is bigger, IQ is not so good and it is only 2.8 so i'm not really a fan of it.

Now let's cover wide lenses. If a want to shoot insides of churches, castles, really wide streets, landscapes, buildings 20mm could be too long to make an effect. Is it better to just take two shots with 20mm and do panorama or is there any nice wide lens with great IQ, sharp, fast...and not expensive :)
      Samyang 7.5mm fisheye maybe? Anything smaller and not fishy?
  2. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Camera, EM10 or the Panasonic GX7 as you will get a good deal on them now . You cant go wrong with either camera. Go to the shop and try both if possible and choose which suits you best. There is no wrong choice as they are both very good cameras in operation and image wise. Since you have used the EPL3, you will be more familiar with the EM10 because of the menu set up.
    The speed of the P20mm lens, yes it is a bit slower than the other lens in the M43 system, but you only notice it if you do a comparison with another lens. I am on my second copy of this lens and it has never presented a problem to me in the past or present. I think the only camera it was a problem with AF speed was the EP1 on firmware 1.0. After Olympus updated the firmware on that camera, things improved greatly.
  3. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Other two lenses you might want to consider is the Panasonic P14mm & the Olympus 45mm. Both can be bought cheap and you'll have a great small set up with a trio of small primes.
  4. Gargamel

Gargamel New to Mu-43

Jul 15, 2015
    i already have 45mm 1.8 :)
    14mm looks nice, and it's really small which i like. Anything small but quality between 7.5mm (fisheye) and 14mm?
  5. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    In my experience of using the 20mm with the E-M10, focusing in daylight is fine. Maybe not as fast as some other lenses but not slow enough to cause a problem. Low light is also OK if the people are not moving around too much. It's really only low light AND moving children that is difficult, and to be honest, I think this may be as much due to my lack of technique as the lens. However I have read other people saying that they find AF unusably slow with this lens (at least on Olympus bodies) so maybe my expectations are just not very high.

I think you will either need to go slightly wider to 17mm or narrower to 25mm. Given that the sensor on the E-M10 should be good enough to allow cropping if necessary, maybe 17mm would work.

It is certainly possible and I have recently started doing this with the 20mm inside churches and mosques. Rather than 2 shots I often take 3 or more shots in vertical orientation. I have found that technically this works fine but it takes a bit of practice, sometimes I don't allow enough space for the cropping that is inevitably required after stitching. Also I don't find it easy composing without being able to see the final crop. I think if you want to go really wide you will need to drop at least one of the items on your wishlist (probably either fast or not expensive or maybe even both).
  6. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Value for money/ performance for the price is really important to me so I have Panasonic 14mm, Panasonic 20mm and Olympus 45mm as my trio of primes. I use the Olympus 40-150mm for the longer reach stuff.

The 14mm is my default lens now, a very under-rated super little lens.
    The 20mm (original version) is remarkably big (called a pancake but more like a scone). Anyone who says it is slow is just full of excuses. Sure there are faster focussing lenses around but not f/1.7 on a 20mm and it works fine. I understand the size and speed are because it uses a different mechanism than most modern lenses but it delivers the goods.
    The 45mm is beautiful and bright, great for portraits but an odd focal length. If you plan on using it for street-shooting be sure to work along the street rather than across. If you want to take pictures across the road you'll need to be on a Grand Boulevard to even get in so much as say a shop front.

Using 14mm

Using 20mm
    [​IMG]Older but Wiser

Using 45mm
    [​IMG]Old doors, new lock & chain
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Churches are dark. If that's one of your objectives the better IBIS of the e-m10 and the PL15 or O17 might be the way to go. If the O7-14,2,8 is in your budget that might be great too.

The samyang 7.5 is a great, fun lens, but churches are full of interesting things like columns and stained glass windows. You may not like them fisheyed all of the time.
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

With what you said above, I think something like the 12-32mm, 17mm f1.8 and then your 45mm f1.8.

I said it in your other thread, but I found the 20mm to be unacceptable for shooting small children at closer range. It's not just me that says that. So you can either go a little longer and get a 25mm or a little wider and get the 17mm f1.8 or go a little slower aperture and get a 19mm f2.8. Sad but true, because there's nothing like it terms of size/speed/cost factor.

12-32 is a very compact lens with great image quality. It's a nice option for shooting wide and keeping the size and cost down.

If you don't need a viewfinder and want to keep the size down a tiny bit over the E-M10, also look at the E-PL7.
  9. Gargamel

Gargamel New to Mu-43

Jul 15, 2015
    Is AF speed and accuracy in the range of 4 years old Olympus 14-42mm IIR lens? Better or worse? I was using this lens and had no real problem with AF even it was slower then Olympus 45mm. If AF of a 20mm 1.7II is in that range, i'm a happy man and i can still use 45mm if kid will go crazy on the playground.
  10. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Wide... Olympus 12mm f2
    Walk around ... Olympus 25mm f 1.8
    Portrait .... Olympus 45 f 1.8 (which you already have)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Big?? You are completely spoiled by m43. :):):)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    re: AF speed - the 20mm f/1.7 II has the same(!) innards as the the first version; the makeover is just superficial (even if they claim to have enhanced the coating on the glass - results I have seen online are hard to distinguish to say the least). Hence, its AF speed is noticably slower than any MSC lens (like the 14-42mm IIR - and that's no speed demon either!). I personally wouldn't call the 20mm slow to focus, at least when using single point focus, but it's still the slowest of all the mFT lenses I own. It's fast enough on the GF1 it was designed for, but dissappoints in this regards only(!) on Olympus bodies - at least by direct comparison. Optically, it's a great lens, very sharp, contrasty and with a distinctive signature. I managed a lot of nice walkabout and street images with it. If you need a quick lens, the 17mm f/1.8 is exceptionally quick ... in fact, almost everything beats the 20mm in this field.

Anyhow, reading the thread again, I strongly concur with the recommendation of the 12-32mm - it's a fantastic walkabout lens, extremely compact, quick to focus, has I.S. to boot (though you won't need that with the newer Olympus bodies) and gives you crisp and vibrant images. It's affordable, too, and complements the 45mm very well.

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I use the O17 f/1.8 and O45 to good effect in churches. Both lenses would pair nicely with the E-M10.
  14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Pancake in the shape of a scone would be a Blini.
    In Russia lenses focus you.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    What he said .....