Going crazy part II. New camera and lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Gargamel, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Gargamel

Gargamel New to Mu-43

Jul 15, 2015
    First, let's talk about the body. My camera of choice for 4 years now is Olympus EPL-3. I love how small it is and still very capable. I miss better popout flash, EVF and techology came a long way in these 4 years so i would like to buy new body. Because i would like a better build in flash (i have Metz 44 if i really want a punch sometimes), very good EVF and still stay compact as possible, my eye is on the Olympus OM-D M10 body.
    It is a much better camera then my old EPL-3, still has a movable screen, which is important to me for low/high shots, i think it has more powerfull flash then click on version on EPL-3, and EVF is good too.
    I can get this body for 360 eur (390$) new right now. Is this a good choice or i should check Panasonic too (which model)? Or should i wait for mark II model of M10? Help me out here...

They are killing me...i already own 45mm 1.8. Olympus one. I'm selling Olympus 14-42mm IIR and 40-150mm (i'm not using it at all). I'm buying new walkaround lens and i would like to capture wider shots too sometimes.
    I shoot my kid and wife a lot. Portraits or in city/landscape environment. 45mm 1.8 was great for that but it is too long for city/landscape/indoor party type shots where you need more width. I also noticed, that i had to be too away from kid for example and other people were walking between me and a kid or i lost contact with her and so on. Flash was to far sometimes and didn't give me enough light...

So i need new lens or two...or three...must be prime, SMALL, light, fast, great IQ, contrasts...(stop laughing).

I was shooting with my zoom for some time now to see what focal lenght is good for me. I thought i need really wide lens but now i see i really don't because i need to be too close to my subject. I would also like to shoot some portraits with this lens and so on. Really wide will be needed a lot less then something normal. So i decided my focal length will be 20mm. Before that i was set to Panasonic 15mm, but it just feels too wide. So naturaly my choice should be Panasonic 20mm 1.7II. I like the price too. It covers all my boxes, except AF speed. I really need to know HOW GOOD or BAD this lens is in AF department? In normal daylight can i walk around, see my kid standing on a corner and just take a shot, or will she be in another country before 20mm focuses already? Are low light shots really almost impossible?

Is there any other small, fast 20mm lens to check? I know about Sigma 19mm, but it is bigger, IQ is not so good and it is only 2.8 so i'm not really a fan of it.

Now let's cover wide lenses. If a want to shoot insides of churches, castles, really wide streets, landscapes, buildings 20mm could be too long to make an effect. Is it better to just take two shots with 20mm and do panorama or is there any nice wide lens with great IQ, sharp, fast...and not expensive :)
    Samyang 7.5mm fisheye maybe? Anything smaller and not fishy?
  2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    ...where do I start?

E-M10 is nice, GX8 looks great. If you do not have a real need to change body I'd wait. New models are better, but not from another planet:

EVF could be a real concrete reason. Unless you shoot often in low light or high contrast situations probably you won't notice much difference.

There are a lot of threads about the P20 AF: some users are happy, some sold it for this reason.

I have this lens on E-M10 and never had problems, but I never shot moving targets. In low light can focus perfectly and quickly, but when it fails it goes on forever. I think you need to be very careful to where you place the AF box and with moving targets this can be tricky. Some also had a "banding" problem at high iso with Oly bodies.

About which focal length is better make a few tests with the zoom, indoor and outdoor and everywhere else you usually shoot. But there is no focal length that is perfect for every shot. What about the Oly 25mm?

Wide lenses there are a few: small Pana 14, Oly 12. Panorama can work for static subjects only, require a little work, it's not so easy to do but if done right will be wider then any other lens. There is Oly 9-18mm.
  3. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I'd consider the E-M10 as it's a great camera at a good price. And the Oly 17mm may fit your needs if the 15 is too wide. It focuses extremely fast, and while not a pancake, is what I consider nice and small. The 17 and the 45 are a great pair.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah I would go with the 17/1.8 over the 20/1.7 if you take a lot of photos of your kids, due to the AF speed differences, unless your shots are mostly posed, then the 20/1.7 will be fine. Or if you only shoot in good light, the 20 will be fine there as well, where it really struggles is when the light levels drop, but the 17/1.8 has no such problems and focuses quickly even in low light.

Alternatively, both of the 25mm lenses are fantastic and focus quickly.

My ideal three prime kit is 12/25/42.5 or 45. If I had to pick just two primes, it would be 15 or 17 and 42.5 or 45.

When I first bought my M43 kit it was an EM5, 20mm and 45mm. The 20mm was never wide enough to be my widest lens, not suitable for interior spaces or vast landscapes or anything like that unless you take multiple photos and stitch them.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    E-M10 or Pana GX7 are your best alternatives. You could find a sweet deal for GX7+P20mm 1.7 kit. I you go the Oly E-M10 route, then you should consider getting the O17mm 1.8 instead the P20mm, due to low light focus hunting/ banding with 20mm+Oly body.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    + 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    As you like smaller cameras go with the EM10
    This is very compact and the menu system will be familiar to you which is an advantage over changing over to Panasonic
    I think you will enjoy the results and using this camera
    Consider the Olympus ECG-1 grip too as this adds greatly to the ergonomics of the camera for very little extra bulk and can be removed in seconds to change batteries and is inexpensive
    The grip makes the grip very secure and comfortable. Unlike the grip for the EM5 this ones very simple without additional controls so you still use the original camera shutter release and controls
  8. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I sold my p20/1.7 as the autofocus was too slow for my kids.

I replaced it with the o17/1.8 which does the job.

When I was shooting with two pen bodies I used the o17 and o45 which is an excellent combo. When shooting with one body I fall back to the p25/1.4 which is great for low light, indoor, portraits or environmental if you have enough space to move back...

Hope that helps!
  9. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    I got a O17 which was quite good... But I replaced it with the PanaLeica 15 mm which is excellent.
    I newer owned the 20 mm, but I think it is a good value :)