1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Going cold on the E-M5 - looking at a G3.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bilzmale, Mar 31, 2012.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

OK I've read and looked at plenty of items for the E-M5 and have it on pre-order with lens. With shipping and possibly tax it will cost $1500 in my hands.

I have been having buyer remorse regularly about this latest outbreak of GAS and my wife is still not warming to the amount of outlay. Can't blame her as it would be the fourth camera in 10 months.

So I got to thinking and read up on the G3. It is well reviewed and was 'the pick' of M43 cameras on release. I know the G5 is coming but if I get a G3 and sell the GH1 my outlay will be less than $250. So I'm asking G3 owners for their reactions to this upgrade although other comments are welcome too.

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Out of curiosity....you won't consider the GH2 ?

Only ask because it would be the easiest transition for you given you have the GH1 and because despite all the hoopla surrounding the EM5 (much of it well deserved it appears) ...the GH2 will still in many regards be perched at the very top of the mu43 tree.

3. How important is the low light performance to you? Apart from that, I wouldn't consider the G3 to be an upgrade from a GH1.

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Checked the GH2 and it may make more sense at an extra price difference of about $140 compared to the G3.

Low light I would favour my X100 although the GH2 is better in that regard than the GH1.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    What exactly are you looking for in the upgrade? Better low light? Better AF? ...?

One way to avoid the new camera bug is to add lenses. Legacy lenses make experimenting easy and cheap!

DH

• Like Like x 1
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Damn the torpedoes ... full speed ahead ... get the OM-D I say and never look back!

G

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you're going to spend the money on yet another body, it should be something which will be significantly different than what you already have. That's just my two cents...

The E-M5 will offer you a forward/rear dial control system with 4 custom buttons all at your fingertips without moving from shooting position. That gives you simultaneous control with both finger and thumb to control a full set of features, like for instance Aperture/Shutter/Exposure Comp/ISO/AutoFocus/Magnification/MySet/etc. without moving your hand on the camera or your eye from the viewfinder. It will offer you the best build quality and shutter life available in a Micro Four-Thirds camera. It also offers you the first 5-Axis Image Stabilization system, the fastest AF, the first 3D Imager-AF for tracking subjects coming towards and away from you, the first vertical grip available for a Micro Four-Thirds camera, and of course full weather sealing at the level of the E-5 which is the best in the DSLR world.

Also, the better video capabilities of the E-M5 will make it more feasible to sell off your GH1 to reduce the cost. With the G3, you will no longer have the manual control and external audio capabilities for video that you're used to.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    What does the GH1 not do that you need it to do. Most of us would benefit more from a photography class or book than a new camera. If the GH1 is really what's limiting you, tell us how, and we can make some informed opinions.

Will any of the things Ned listed make your pictures better?

• Like Like x 2
  9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    But a book doesn't glitter like a new camera ... lol

• Like Like x 3
  10. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    The weather sealing will make pictures taken out in the rain or while dancing through a fountain better :wink:

The stabilization might make some of the long candid shots better (less blurry) as well.

11. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA

I'd wait a little while longer and see what happens with the G5. I'm thinking it won't be as pricey as the OM.

12. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Why do you keep getting cameras? Have you considered a photo class instead?

• Like Like x 2
  13. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    This is actually an interesting comment that I can relate to. Within the space of about one year I got a GF1, G1 and then a G3. I was getting into m4/3, tossing my DSLR's, and learning as I went along.

The GF1 taught me that I wanted a viewfinder, so I picked up a G1 body for a good price. Working with those two cameras I realized what I needed and didn't need re: buttons and features. The G3 totally fit the bill re: controls and layout and my guess is that now I have the camera that I truly love and can live with for the forseeable future. It takes great pictures and has totally controlable in-camera processing. In my opinion it is perfect in all respects for me.

I have found uses for the first two cameras, but I agree - it feels weird when you find yourself buying that many cameras in a short space of time. It is not because there is no reason - you just don't know at first exactly what you are looking for.

14. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Let us know if you do get the G3 - I'm still trying to decide between that, the GH2 and the E-M5, and I'd be curious to hear your take on the G3.

15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I owned a G3 and it's a great camera in every way. Just didn't have the same rating and luck as other cameras out there, but it's reallly great and capable of taking great pictures in all situations.

16. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

OK the GAS attack is subsiding - have cancelled the E-M5 pre-order. Will sit with what I have for a while. The biggest drawback with my GH1 is the AE bracketing which is limited to 3 shots (7 in the G3/GH2) and I like playing with HDR. The high ISO is also better.

I have had a bit of cash freed up by selling a camera and 3 lenses and it's 'burning a hole in my pocket'. Good advice though about working with what I have.

17. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I know I've said this before, but I have been involved with photography for about 55 years and owned many cameras. The G3 is my all time favorite - one of the most well thought out, convenient, enjoyable cameras I've ever had and one that shoots terrific images. It deserves a very close look by anyone thinking of buying a new camera, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I'm not the OP, but the G3 has a significantly better sensor than the GH1, meaning much better high-ISO photos. Never had a GH1 but I've had several cameras with the older 12Mp sensor and I can absolutely attest to the superiority of the G3 sensor over the one in the GH1.

As for the GH2, a big difference is the size . . . the G3 is pretty darn tiny--too much so for many users, if you believe the comments in here--but just perfect for my hands. So if I were looking for a newish camera with (a) an improved sensor; and (b) a small size I'd be looking at:

GX1
    G3
    OMD

I'm not knocking any of the other cameras at all, just pointing out that the OP's choice of a G3 instead of an OMD is not illogical.

19. The GH1 uses a different sensor to that seen in the early Panasonics and every Olympus up until the E-M5.

20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Here's my take on the GH2 vs. G3, as an owner of both.

The advantages of the G3 are smaller size, lighter weight, slightly better high ISO noise performance, and better JPEG output (more saturated, better flesh tones maybe.

The disadvantages of the G3 are smaller size, fewer manual controls and those controls are harder to use manual controls when the camera is at eye level, and the lack of the eye control EVF / LCD switch.

Why is small size both and advantage and a disadvantage? The grip on the G3 is, simply, too small. The GH2, in spite of its larger size and greater weight, is just more comfortable to hold and use because you can actually grip it with your right hand. And the larger size of the GH make it easier to reach the buttons while the camera is at eye level.

Advantages of the GH2: The grip, the much better layout of controls, and the fact that far more things can be controlled without having to use menus or touch screens. The shutter release is also better located, on top of the grip rather than back on the body. The GH2 is slightly better in DR at low ISO. The multi-aspect sensor is a benefit if you frequently shoot at ratios other than 4:3. 16:9 is especially useful for wide angle shots, as you get a bit more width in the captured image. I like 3:2 for a great many shots, and the GH2 gives me more pixels than the G3, which simply crops from the 4:3 sensor.

I think the GH2 shoots faster bursts, as well.

AF performance is about the same, as is the EVF and LCD.

Overall, the only reasons to choose the G3, IMHO, are if you really do most of your shooting at ISO 3200 or higher, size and weight are your most important concerns, or the GH2 is simply too expensive. Or, I guess, if you're just going to put the camera on "P" and be done with it. In that case, the advantages of the GH2 won't amount to much.

The GH2, though, is definitely the better camera for a serious amateur, with more flexibility, better controls to exercise that flexibility, and better ergonomics.

• Like Like x 1