Going both ways

Apollo T.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Now that I have your attention...I’m thinking of buying a portable charger, aka power bank etc. i have a couple of questions:
camera uses li-ion batts rated @ 1200 mAh. Is a 10k mAh power bank like having 8 spare batts in my pocket?
Flash uses AA alkaline or hydrites- do power banks go both ways? at same time?!!
In similar vein; there are in and outports. Do PBs go both ways at the same time?
Simple answers, please.
TIA

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Is a 10k mAh power bank like having 8 spare batts in my pocket?
No. It takes power to move power, so it would be 7.x no 8. How much depends on a lot of things but know that there is a power loss in transfer.

Flash uses AA alkaline or hydrites- do power banks go both ways? at same time?!!
Not real sure what you are asking here. Are your flash batteries rechargeable? All a power bank does is output a specified voltage and a specific amperage, what you do with that output is up to you. You can use it to recharge batteries or run a device.

In similar vein; there are in and outports. Do PBs go both ways at the same time?
I think you are asking if they can charge something while getting charged? If so, yes. They can output power while also getting power.

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
I think you are asking if they can charge something while getting charged? If so, yes. They can output power while also getting power.
Careful there, not all of them do - If your power bank allows pass-through charging, yes, they can charge a device while the power bank itself is being charged. This can be hard on the circuit or battery and as such, many these days do not support this function.

https://blog.ravpower.com/2017/10/danger-and-damage-of-pass-through-technology-for-batteries/

It seems that RAV Power doesn't recommend doing this often, even on their devices that have been designed to do so, so it's probably not the best idea.

You could get a USB powered AA battery charger and charge AAs from your power bank. Also, I remember seeing a power bank that uses removable AA batteries as it's source of power (and it charges them when you charge the bank, if you have rechargeable AAs installed) I haven't seen one of these in a while and they had their own additional set of challenges. If I recall, lower output current (how fast they charge your device), slow charging speed for the bank itself and I think they are rather bulky as I don't think NiMH cells don't hold as much as LiION or LiPO cells by volume or weight.

Apollo T.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@Phocal
a- 7 or 8 close enough
b- NiMH are rechargeable...think eneloop batts. So PB should be able to charge either type of battery; battery composition is not relevant... is what I was asking. Also, since there are 2 outports PB should be able to charge both types simultaneously. Right?
c- yes that’s what I was asking.
So...bottom line is that for ~$30 I would be able to add the equivalent of a highly portable half dozen spare batteries. And for ~$40 (total) double that.
Sounds toooooo good to be true. Am I missing something?
THANKS so much for your time,
Apollo T.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You would of course need chargers for your batteries that could run off the voltage provided by the battery pack, which I assume is your standard +5V USB output power brick? Also keep in mind that even with two output ports there is going to be a limit to the amount of current you can output. Lower current = slower charging rates. So for example, if your flash used 2xAA batteries, you can charge up a "set" faster than you could if your flash needs 4xAA (again in both cases you need AA chargers able to run off an input of 5V.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
I’ve got a 20,000 milli amp battery.
Very useful. Phones, cameras, headlamps. All good.
Never been able to run it flat yet.
Mine, if it’s plugged in to charge will charge another battery first and then when that’s charged up, will then charge itself. Works like a charm.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom