Going Back to Portland...

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Jonathan F/2, Apr 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm currently in Portland visiting. I grew up here and while many things have changed, other aspects have stayed the same! Anyways, I couldn't visit the city without giving my cameras a workout! Shot everything with my dual E-M5 II bodies, 8mm 1.8 fisheye, 17mm 1.8 and 75mm 1.8 lenses!

tilikum_crossing.

flowers_fish.

portlanders.

bus_ride.

ross_island_02.

bridge_chicks.

boat.

both_ways.

old_guy.

max_train.

GGF11077.

bike_gal.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 19
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Nice shots! I live way down on the coast in Bandon, but Portland is the destination when we want a taste of city life and cityscapes/street photography! Plus Stumptown coffee ;)

Sadly, Camera World downtown is now closed, I wasn't aware that that happened until I saw it, dark and empty. Sad surprise.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like shooting here, there are so many pockets that haven't been photographed very much. In LA, every locale has been well-covered. Funny you mentioned Camera World as I was in downtown to check it out and saw it was closed! Oh well, at least Pro Photo Supply is still open!

4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Glad your visiting, hope you are having a great time here. The new light rail bridge is a visual treat.

5. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I agree, Portland is a strange city in some ways. It's both very beautiful (what with the trees, hills, river and great architecture) and very grimy/gritty and ugly, and that dichotomy endlessly fascinates me.

The sobering thing about Camera World closing is that I believe it makes Pro Photo Supply the only true professional camera supplier left... in Oregon. Unless there's something else besides Shutterbugs in other cities, but if there is I'm unaware of them.

6. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm glad they installed that Tilikum Crossing on that end of the river. I grew up thinking the Ross Island Bridge to be the ugliest of all the Portland bridges. In 2nd grade I was assigned the Ross Island to write a report on and I was so bummed because I wanted either the Hawthorne Bridge or St. John's Bridge for my assignment! Lol

7. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    St. John's Bridge - Should be called the "Art Deco Bridge" and be in a museum somewhere, certainly one of the most beautiful in the nation IMHO. I can see why you wanted it.

8. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I love Bandon -

af0f5b11306179.560f59b7b41db.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 7
  9. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Jonathon - wish I more had time in the next few days, would love to share a Starbucks and remember Uncle Frank with you.....

10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    It's odd, we're renowned for our sunsets and scenery, but most of the time I'm too tired after a day's work to go to the beach in the evening, I like my couch and Xbox :)

Small town life is nice, but it's funny how often we head to Portland for shopping and things to do while Portland folks head down here for the quiet and scenery!

11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was bummed to hear Frank pass away. I met him once and he was a stand up guy!

I'll be in town for awhile, in fact I just did a photo shoot with my old elementary school friend and his family here in the Pearl District!

12. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd love to head down to Bandon and shoot! Portland for me is so much more quiet and relaxing compared to Los Angeles, I think the Oregon coast would make me sleep like a baby! :D

13. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I know what you mean, as I grew up in Riverside, just down the 60 freeway from LA :) Oregon has its problems, but it is definitely more relaxing state. I'd recommend Cannon Beach also if you want to get a good night's sleep on the coast, it's not a very long drive from Portland and there are some nice cottages and the like that aren't too expensive.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I might plan a trip with my family this summer, I definitely want my kids to enjoy the peaceful coastal atmosphere as compared to the LA hustle!

15. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    It's worth it, just figure out where you're going to stay and book well in advance, as everything fills up fast during the summer!

16. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    Nice photos. I lived in Portland for 17 years, but have not been back in 4 years. I really need to go back, The St. John bridge was my favorite as well, but because it was my way to the get to the race track on weekends.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That reminds me, I should make a trip there while I'm here and put my Olympus fisheye to work!

18. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    These are brilliant. You have quite an eye for composition, and combine that with great colors and clarity, and the results are fantastic!

19. CameraBird

CameraBird New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2012
    I was thrilled to see a posting about Portland. Although I don't live there (but 75 miles south in Albany), for the past year I have been shooting there extensively and almost exclusively. I think Portland is a very photogenic city ... both the natural beauty, and the human-made grim/grit (and beauty). If you would like to check out my large collection of photos and articles, visit portland.byrdphoto.com for the index.

20. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I agree with Keith.
    Very nice.
    And congrats on the featured thread.
    Now to figure out how to get up there. ( :