Going back to photography as a hobby

birdie

Mu-43 Regular
I have made the decision to stop pursuing photography as a business and go back to enjoying photography as a hobby. As a result of this, I have decided to sell all my DSLR gear and studio gear.

My focus was doing baby photography, which is what I enjoy. What I don't enjoy is the marketing and advertising side, it does not come naturally to me and I have to force myself. Even with focussing on a niche the local area is saturated with photographers, a lot crap, but a few good ones and seeing that I don't want to make it my main job, it takes a lot of time away from family and we are expecting a child in Nov/Dec this year, I don't want to be spending my weekends doing photography away from my family.

I was starting to get a fair few paying baby sessions (and a few other misc jobs including a couple of proms for schools) coming in but then 12 months ago we lost our first baby at 38 weeks gestation which caused me to withdraw from everything for quite a while, and I've tried to get back into the market since earlier this year but I just haven't any conversions, and I just don't want to keep pushing something (the marketing) that doesn't come naturally to me...

Since I decided this last weekend I felt pressure off my shoulders to get clients to make all my expensive DSLR and studio gear worthwhile... I have been very happy with my OM-D E-M5 since buying it late last year, and its been the camera I've picked up for everything (except for the couple of paid shoots I did).

I found I gave up on doing stuff like landscapes, etc because it wouldn't make me money, and that's not the reason I got into photography originally for. So I'm looking forward to just doing photography as a hobby and with my M43 kit instead of a big, heavy, intimidating DSLR. I'm also looking forward to getting back to "playing" and experimenting with photography including "strobist" style photography which is something I enjoy and messing around with things like a Igus slider track I bought and then never had time to finish it (might mess around with an Arduino and make a motorised slider for video and timelapse :D)

Anyone else been through this...?

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Giday and Welcome birdie. Sorry to hear about your loss last year. I hope you'll be able to enjoy photography for enjoyment. It takes the fun out of things a little when a hobby becomes a job, but you'll love the absence of deadlines and enjoy the moment. My Grandparents used to live in Bundaberg, nice place to chop down a cane stalk and have a chew.

best,
icon

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I understand where you're coming from on both counts. After I semi-retired and relocated, I considered trying commercial work in the locality and even did some volunteer local footy coverage to get to know more people, but it just didn't enthuse me and decided that I had to cut loose from what I'd been doing in the past. I simply no longer want to do work that looks the same, but is just on a different day (if you get my drift).

D

Deleted member 20897

Sorry about your loss. My wife had a miscarriage. It was difficult to fathom, but we got through it together. We have one beautiful, smart daughter(16) and that is more than enough for us.

I still do my photo business, but it is not my main income. i work in IT full time and take photo jobs in the evenings and weekends. I understand about the marketing part, not something i enjoy either. If I ever stop enjoying it, I'd stop my business too. Right now, I'm in a good position with the jobs I have lined up this year(events, weddings and portrait sessions).

dogs100

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Geoff
It must be a tough time for you both right now but the end of the year and new arrival will be great.

Enjoy

Geoff

Hyubie

Unique like everyone else
Real Name
Herbert
Sorry for your loss. I hope photography helps heal you. :smile: I find that whenever it gets too crazy, taking photos relaxes me a lot.

Good luck and congratulations on the new arrival. A new camera and a baby make a great pair! :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom