Going back to my roots of Micro Four Thirds

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
This year for my birthday, a late gift though, I want to get my first Micro Four Thirds camera, the venerable Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 that I bought back in 2010. Mostly for sentimental value BUT that doesn't mean I won't play with it from time to time. And best of all there's one available in my favorite color: BLUE !!! ... not accurate to the first one I had which was the boring black one but that's fine by me. And it's not badly priced either, 105 £ with the kit lens. But I don't think I will stick with the old Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f 3.5-5.6 ASPH Mega Optical Image Stabilisation, it wasn't the best of it and I wasn't happy with that lens even when I got my first G2, so I want to get at least one lens for the G2 even if it's going to be mostly sitting pretty on the shelf ... a very pretty blue boy.

The first lens I am thinking of is the venerable Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm f 3.5-5.6 ASPH Mega Optical Image Stabilisation ... but I am open to other suggestions, though mind you the camera does not have IBIS, given its age, so most primes might not be the best option ... except for being compact and help with the really bad high ISO of the old camera ... ok, maybe a Panasonic Lumix G 20mm f 1.7 ASPH or Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f 2.5 ASPH might look very cute.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Real Name
Ovidiu
12-32's are usually less than £100 s/h, will look super cute on the G2
Silver or black, which one would fit blue well? I kind of dig the idea of a wide-angle walk-about lens.
The 14-45 is rather humongous for a kit lens. I got one when I bought the GF1.
Good point, I never owned the lens but I think it's quite a bit bigger than the lower-end kit lens.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Silver or black, which one would fit blue well? I kind of dig the idea of a wide-angle walk-about lens.

Good point, I never owned the lens but I think it's quite a bit bigger than the lower-end kit lens.
One more vote for the little 12-32. I would do silver. That G2 was a very pretty blue and the silver will add a nice bling.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Do yourself a favour and get the 25/1.7

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Then start trading up....
Until you get to G9!
Keep the little 25 though.
That’ll do nicely...

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I also started with a G2 back in the day. Great times, so I get the nostalgia value, though not sure I want to go back to one after using more modern offerings. My favourite lens on mine was the 20mm f/1.7. Back in those days the af didn’t feel as slow and I really liked the images it gave from the 12mp sensor. Also the large aperture and short focal length helped reduce evf lag in lower light.

I may be wrong but I don’t recall the 14-45 being much bigger than the 14-42.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Comparison shot: of the 12-35 and the 14-45, turns out the lens is not humongous, even though its not exactly small, but the sun-shade is rather on the large side.
14-45.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
14-45-2.jpg

The barrel on it is not very large, but it is not exactly compact, either. I dont have the regular 14-42 but recalls it as quite a bit smaller.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't know what Panasonic has, but something similar to the Olympus 17/1.8 + 45/1.8, would make a nice 2-prime-lens kit. And it takes one back to the pre-zoom days. The 17 + 45 is similar to the 35 + 105 kit on 35mm cameras.
While I have that pair, I've use the 17, but have yet to use the 45. I'm a zoomie, and I rarely go out with just a prime.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
What did surprise me, the cost of a G2.
They’re not even worth postage here.
Even G6 no demand. G7 got good video so still worth something, but not much.
Nostalgia? I’m trying to get rid of junk I don’t use. Not buy it...

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Prices for the older stuff is all over the place up here, I have this year amassed quite a few old ones and the dearest was the GX1, with a 14-42PZ for US$110ish, the GF2 came with a 14mm I bought for 80 bucks, and the camera came along as the fellow had lost the back cover for the lens and I then bought a GF1 for about $65, with the aforementioned 14-45 and the LVF1, the latter wasn't even mentioned in the ad.

For the compacts, the highest was 90 bucks for a TZ70 with 29 shutter actuations when I got it and the lowest about 25 for a TZ10. :drinks:

Havent looked at the larger ones, but I think there was a G2 with peeling rubber in the classifieds for about $20, as well as a G7 for $600 over the last weeks, the latter is somewhat laughable. I find the older stuff somewhat entertaining, and I find that they capture quite pleasantly. Top pick of the golden oldies would be the LX7. That one is quite marvelous, to the tune of pondering getting a couple of more of them, for when the one I have croaks, or to have one for litterary rainy days, the one I got was as new with 1011 shutter actuations, so it should be able to trot along for quite a while yet.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
If you're gonna go retro with the camera, you might as well go retro with the lens. Not fully-manual focus adapted lens retro since the G2 doesn't have focus peaking or a particularly high-res EVF. But limit yourself to M43 lenses that were available at the time the G2 was announced:
  • P14–45
  • P45–200
  • P14–140 (Mk. I)
  • P7–14
  • O17/2.8
  • O14-42 (Mk. I)
  • PL45 macro
  • P20
  • O14–150 (Mk. I)
  • O9–18
  • P14-42
The lenses on this list that stand out to me are the PanaLeica 45mm macro and the Panny 7–14 UWA zoom. Either one could be a nice lens to have on hand tucked away at the bottom of your bag attached to the G2. Personally, I'd choose the 7–14.

- K

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Real Name
Ovidiu
I don't know what Panasonic has, but something similar to the Olympus 17/1.8 + 45/1.8, would make a nice 2-prime-lens kit. And it takes one back to the pre-zoom days. The 17 + 45 is similar to the 35 + 105 kit on 35mm cameras.
While I have that pair, I've use the 17, but have yet to use the 45. I'm a zoomie, and I rarely go out with just a prime.
I am thinking of staying with Panasonic on this one because of the old CDAF might be finiky compared to later incarnations like DFD AF algorithm.
What did surprise me, the cost of a G2.
They’re not even worth postage here.
Even G6 no demand. G7 got good video so still worth something, but not much.
Nostalgia? I’m trying to get rid of junk I don’t use. Not buy it...
20211013_233132.jpg

While I would love to agree with you there but my current set of camera collection even if it's just for display (can't even say for whom because I never get visitors either ... Double vanity? :p ).

Anywho, for film era I wanted one type of camera each: Medium Format Folding (check), TLR (needed), Rangefinder (check), SLR Fully Manual (check), SLR Fully Auto (needed) and for the digital era: my first smartphone that got me I to photography: The Sony Ericsson P990i, my first DSLR: Pentax K200D and my first mirroless camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2.

While it may seem "excessive" (I prefer the term excentric) I don't have much of any other interests so in I don't have much "stuff" anyways. I'm trying to be practical even when it's about something purely decorative :)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Real Name
Ovidiu
If you're gonna go retro with the camera, you might as well go retro with the lens. Not fully-manual focus adapted lens retro since the G2 doesn't have focus peaking or a particularly high-res EVF. But limit yourself to M43 lenses that were available at the time the G2 was announced:
  • P14–45
  • P45–200
  • P14–140 (Mk. I)
  • P7–14
  • O17/2.8
  • O14-42 (Mk. I)
  • PL45 macro
  • P20
  • O14–150 (Mk. I)
  • O9–18
  • P14-42
The lenses on this list that stand out to me are the PanaLeica 45mm macro and the Panny 7–14 UWA zoom. Either one could be a nice lens to have on hand tucked away at the bottom of your bag attached to the G2. Personally, I'd choose the 7–14.

- K
To quote Harley Quin from The Suicide Squad (bad movie by the way): I like wha'chu selling lady :p

I always wanted the Panasonic Lumix G 7-14mm f 4 ASPH lens ... That was until I switched to Olympus and I found out about the purple blob and fringing issues. If I can find one cheap enough I might very well consider it.
Now Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm f 4-5.8 ASPH Mega Optical Image Stabilization is a blast from the past, quite a heavy beast from what I remember and the last time I've seen one the kept their price quite up high on the used market, but good to be on the lookout for.

Variable

Mu-43 Regular
If I read you right, this camera will mostly be for shelf decoration?

That metallic blue body with the black top and a few silver accents kind of asks for a silver 20mm 1.7 v2. The brushed silver on the lens will look smart and accent the metallic paint.

I read your post on the CA correction missing on an Oly body, but the G2 should (?) have that in its firmware?

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
My first SLR was a MX Pentax. With a 50/1.4
Oh man, I wish I hadn’t seen that....

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom