Going all in on M4/3

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by SZRimaging, Sep 4, 2012.

1. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    So, it looks like I'll be going all in on Micro 4/3, instead of split between m43 and Nikon.

So, I'll be trading in a Nikon D7000, Nikon 35mm f1.8 AF-S, Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-S VR, and Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.0 OS for something Micro 4/3.

I shoot ski/snowboard, portrait, studio and the occasional wedding, so just trying to plan this out. Video may or may not be a concern, can't decide on that one.

Currently have E-PM1 with 14-42mm and will be trading a lens, not listed above for a 45mm f1.8.

So, the list I will be after goes as such:
    Body: GH3 or EM-5
    Lenses: 14mm Panasonic, 12-35mm f2.8 Panasonic (not an immediate need as primes will cover the HQ work that needs to be done), 75mm Oly, and Either an Olympus 40-150mm or Panny 45-150mm.

Not sure that will be an even trade (guessing no with the 75mm and 12-35mm), so it may take a bit to get everything.

What do you guys think? Anything I should be considering that I haven't. And so far, it sounds like, based off rumors, the GH3 will be better for me, but the EM-5 is probably cheaper....

2. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    Instead of spending $1,299 for the 12-35, I'd get the PL 25mm. Possibly a UWA just because.

3. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    It's a personal preference, but I prefer HQ zooms when I'm doing events. Less time changing lenses.

You are right though, an UWA probably should be added at some point. Maybe before the 12-35.

4. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    At the long end consider Pana 45-175, it can be had on special for 289 on occasion

The 45&75/1.8 should cover the skiing, on w/end I shot some cycling with 45/1.8 & was happy with the results

5. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

Consider the Pana 45-175. I owned the Oly 40-150 and sold it--too soft at the long end. The Pana 45-175 is sharper. I've experienced no IS problems with the IBIS on my Oly EM-5. The EM-5 shuts off the Pana lens IS automatically.

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris

May I suggest, you to wait on Photokina before buying anything else?. theres going to be tons of announcements and releases, which means a lot of the stuff thats currently expensive should drop a little if not a lot!. is two weeks from now!.

7. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Notice, one of the bodies listed is the GH3. Although, I am honestly curious about new Pens also. So yeah, i was planning on waiting. The "rumored" 35-100mm f2.8 sounds tasty, but expensive.

That said, I am slightly worried that the value of my used gear, particularly the D7000 will go down.

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I don't think I'm telling you anything you don't already know, but there's no way of avoiding that. :redface:

9. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    True that. If Nikon doesn't announce a replacement for it, then the value won't drop much, if at all. The only probable announcement I have heard so far is a new FF Nikon.

10. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I did exactly this last week. Now waiting on a 35-100 and, possibly, a GH3.

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    But they will, it's a certainty. Your only question is: how quickly? ;) The only alternative would be an announcement that Nikon is abandoning DX :eek: which I'd bet is exceptionally unlikely in the near term.

12. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    I meant at the upcoming Photokina tradeshow. They will eventually, but I think I'll be switching in the next week or so.

13. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Thinking that I'm going to go after an E-M5 this weekend. Really seems like a better choice for my immediate needs.

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I won't argue out of it, but if you are sensitive to price, you really should wait a few weeks. Buying before a trade show is a great way to pay a few hundred $ extra...

DH

15. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Fair enough...I'm just an impatient person sometimes.

16. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Thats was exactly what i thought, so what i suggest is, if you can, sell your gear now, and by now i mean today or during next week, at the best price you can get for it, and save that cash for the week after photokina which is in 3 weeks from now. then go buy the "old" stuff (OMD, GHwhatever, lenses etc) while early adopters jump and rave about the new whatever comes out of that congress.

17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    So am I. Just pointing out that this can be expensive habit!

It's quite possible that E-M5 prices won't budge at all, but it's hard to tell at this point. My suspicion is that new Pens and the GH3 will push the E-M5 down a bit (or cause them to offer new promotions) but that's just a guess...

DH

18. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    With ski/snowboard do you need weatherproofiness? That might be something that would mean you would want the 12-35 earlier, or buy the EM-5 with the 12-50 kit and then sell the kit lens later.

19. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Yeah, I can't figure out how required weather proofing is. I work for a small resort in the Midwest, and I'm not out doing back country. I have been shooting weather-sealed bodies (D200, D7000) with no issue, but lenses, for the most part, weren't sealed. Used the E-PM1 a bit last year with no issue. So yeah, not 100% sure whether I need to go fully sealed or not.

20. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    So, going off current rumors, GH3 against E-M5 weighs down to these:

GH3 - Bigger body with better video, possibly better sensor
    E-M5 - Smaller Body with better stabilization, including in video

Part of the problem is, I can't decide how important video is. I do assist in making semi-weekly videos for our resort, and have been using the D7000 for some of it since it just plain looks better than the camera we have been provided. And I would like to offer video in some freelance cases also....

It's just, that IBIS, and being able to use it for non-stabilized lenses seems attractive. But I have been shooting without stabilization in some of my lenses for years just fine (just pay attention to those shutter speeds).