Godox X/Flashpoint R2 system MFT firmware updates and stuff

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Not a big one, but the TT350 can now do ID codes.

Godox Firmware Download Page

I've loaded up v1.2 on my TT350-O (I did get a weird error message at the end of the update saying something about a bad DFU file). But I tested the new feature (C.Fn "Id") with my XPro-O in-hand and it works.

Last edited:

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Three new Godox product announcements recently:
  • The V1 round-headed flash (aka Flashpoint R2 Li-on X R2 TTL) [for some weird reason Adorama has separated out Olympus from Panasonic]. $260. Virtually the same power/recycle as the V860II (different battery pack, though). But better UI for radio master and a lot of small nice features (slide lock, 30º back tilt, LED modeling lamp) and the ability to take the AD200 round head's magnetic modifiers without an adapter.
  • The X2T transmitter (aka Flashpoint R2 II). Looks like a really good update to the X1T, incorporating a lot of the Xpro and R2 Pro II UI and features (e.g., bluetooth app control, named C.Fn/values, group buttons, etc.) $60. Just not seeing single-pin mode or TCM. Also gets a slide lock.
  • AD200 Pro (eVOLV 200 Pro). Weirdly Adorama says it's an exclusive, but elv doesn't mention it as such. $350. Looks like a very minor upgrade (color consistency mode, 1/256 power, recessed face, new buttons, USB-C, notches around mounting points to keep light from twisting). But same power/recycle/battery as the non-Pro.

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Fwiw, Adorama has a sale on their Flashpoint (Godox Wistro) AD600 Pro running now for what they have left in stock. $170 off isn't bad so I ordered one. Link: AD600 Pro Flash

I hope the stronger HSS part can get me further away from the bird feeders as I have to stay really close at about 15" with the TT685-O now. One could Siamese up two units for a 1,200 w/s unit with their optional "two units into one flash-head" cable too which would add another f/stop in power. Maybe a larger beauty dish too.

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you’re trying for distance maybe look into a Fresnel mod for it? Magmod even makes one for regular speedlights too. Would let you focus the light for much longer throw.

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you’re trying for distance maybe look into a Fresnel mod for it? Magmod even makes one for regular speedlights too. Would let you focus the light for much longer throw.
Thanks for the reminder of the MagMod. I forgot to add a Fresnel to my shopping list. I have used the BetterBeamer a lot on the TT685-O and it works well, although it is tough to aim correctly for the small rectangular spot.

The TT685-O can drop a bit in its ratchet head at times so I had to put some rubber bands around its neck to stop that. The BetterBeamer offers a bit of focusing over the MagMod in that you can slide it back and forth on the speedlight head (Pulled back on mine offers a bit of larger beam.). I found I can also aim it up/down by re-positioning the Fresnel either up or down in the Velcro on the front of the holder (Mine seems to like be 1/4" down in the mount using the 300mm on the E1.2.). Don't think this degree of focusing and positioning is possible with the MagMod. MagMod looks better the the BetterBeamer though which is sort of flimsy.

I'm debating on a Fresnel for the Godox AD600 Pro now to shoot off a stand at the bird feeders or studio use. I saw where the cheaper AD600 (Non Pro) flash unit has the clear twisted flashtube exposed at the end, and their Pro unit has some sort of diffuser at its end. I suspect the Fresnel may project that twisted flashtube image if focused so the diffused Pro one may be better, but dunno.

There are a couple Fresnels out there with the Bowen's mount:

Metal one: https://www.amazon.com/Aputure-Fresnel-Continuous-Including-Diffuser/dp/B07N77PR84/ref=pd_sbs_421_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07N77PR84&pd_rd_r=fca53b16-f922-4bb8-9d9a-1a4c88911cfe&pd_rd_w=nvbSk&pd_rd_wg=7MOJw&pf_rd_p=43281256-7633-49c8-b909-7ffd7d8cb21e&pf_rd_r=AEEB30T4GAPPQVSP6P4H&psc=1&refRID=AEEB30T4GAPPQVSP6P4H#customerReviews

Plastic one: https://www.amazon.com/Condenser-Adjustable-Colorful-Filters-Photography/dp/B012V8BH0A/ref=pd_sbs_421_3/142-0343982-7753647?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B012V8BH0A&pd_rd_r=fca53b16-f922-4bb8-9d9a-1a4c88911cfe&pd_rd_w=nvbSk&pd_rd_wg=7MOJw&pf_rd_p=43281256-7633-49c8-b909-7ffd7d8cb21e&pf_rd_r=AEEB30T4GAPPQVSP6P4H&psc=1&refRID=AEEB30T4GAPPQVSP6P4H

Aside, I read where Godox might be under the rate-hike tariffs in Sept. here (Last sentence in article.): Godox and Sept. tariff increase.

So better buy any Godox stuff soon. I did get a notice from one of my DJI drone suppliers to expect a price hike too.

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Flashpoint Xplor 600PRO TTL arrived! Nice unit overall.

I was using a small Godox speedlight (TT685-O) for the hummingbirds along with HSS but found it had to be close to the birds (<2 feet), and being small it cast a shadow on the wall behind them at the feeder.

Not having a Bowens-mount modifier, I needed a reflector so I found one on Amazon. Don't know why the larger one is cheaper in the link below, but I bought it. I thought I had bought the silver one for more output verses the white, but I ended up with a white one due to my mistake (argh!). I'm awaiting an Aputure Fresnel lens too for more distance for the perched or tree'd ones.

Anyway, the combo works well for HSS and a lot more coverage with less shadows and more distance both. Seems to help with the feather contrast as well per the cropped shot below with the FF it came from in lower right. I've gained about a stop or more for the DOF which helps. Don't know if it can be any sharper overall with the stronger light giving me more contrast. The silver bowl dish might have given me more feather detail being a harsher light - maybe? Larger catchlight in the bird's eye too.

Birds are getting used to it. Little spooked at first, but they got used to the smaller speedlight easy enough. They are so territorial they won't give up the feeder as it is. I left the grid on the larger dish too to keep it from triggering the neighbor's security camera (ahem!).

Flashpoint Xplor 600PRO TTL unit.

21" reflector for flash.

Fresnel Lens. <--- Late note as it just arrived. This does not fit the flash above. It has another internal lens within it that sits too close to the Bowens mount and the extruding flashtube strikes the internal lens. It misses by going on by maybe 2". Might be it is designed for (flat-front, video type) LED only heads and not strobes. I need to think about this some and try removing the internal lens and see....

_8272047_03.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Adding to the above.

Took the Apurture Fresnel apart to remove the small internal lens (Three T-10 Torx screws.). With it out, it fits onto the flash.

Problem is the flash seemed weak. Took heavy aluminum foil and stuck it to the insides of the unit. Doing so gave me f/16 at 10 feet, ISO 200 with the Fresnel at the wide (40 degree) position (It's screwed in all the way for flood position.). Screwed out to spot and it lost light by maybe 1/2 stop as it now was in the 12 degree spot position. It could be that when scewed out into the spot poisiton, more of the internal black plastic is exposed than what I covered with the foil so it lost a bit of the flashtube's power. I may have to paint the entire internals of the thing white or some chrome or mirror paint.

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I came up with a fix for the above Apurture Fresnel unit. Took a 5 1/2" diameter "Clamped Work Light" from Lowes hardware and cut it with the Dremel cut-off wheel to fit inside the thing. Works well now.

This light is what I hacked off: Clamped Work Light - 5 1/2" diameter.

Three screws near the base screwed into the plastic holds in in. Just had to cut off maybe 2" off the back of the hood so the opening would be the same diameter as the Bowens mount hole.

Gives me about a GN=140 at 10' ISO 200 with the Godox AD600 in both the flood and spot position. Flood is about 25 degrees, and spot is 12 degrees.

Almost looks like it was made for it with the Godox AD600 Pro flashtube below. The end of the AD600 Pro's flashtube is frosted so much of the light goes out to the sides towards the added hood. The orangish thing is the 38 watt modeling light LED.

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just to get this thread back on topic :) [probably should've used "new products" instead of "stuff" in the title], if you have any Godox gear that uses the G1 firmware updating app, Godox posted a new version (v0.4) this July.

For the AD400 Pro and later releases (AD400 Pro, X2T, V1, XPro-P and TT350-P), there is now a new G3 firmware updater and it comes in a Windows and an OSX version. G3 uses .bin files, instead of .fir (G1) or .dfu (G2).

And if you got the Flashpoint R2 Pro II-O transmitter, Adorama has a new firmware update (v1.3) that adds the same SCAN C.Fn you can see on the X2T and V1. This lets you automatically set the channel to the least-crowded one. It requires the F3 updater (not sure if it's identical to the G3 updater or not).

Lastly, while not Godox, Adorama/Flashpoint has come out with another exclusive product, R2 SPT (single-pin) transceivers that are compatible with the Godox system, and, if used as both Tx (transmitter)/Rx (receiver) in the system, have a much longer range (300m vs. 100m+). Elv says they extend range with existing Godox gear if used only as the Tx unit to about 150m. Functionally they look a lot like Yongnuo RF-605 transceivers (only bigger): allow for group on/off control, but not TTL/HSS/power control; single unit can be used as both shutter receiver and flash transmitter. Decent alternative to Yongnuo RF-60x units for working in legacy studio strobes or as shutter releases.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom