Godox X/Flashpoint R2 system MFT firmware updates and stuff

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just want to summarize Godox X/Flashpoint R2 system stuff that's happened recently since there's been so much going on, and to give this subject a discussion thread that's not AD200 or TT350 specific. Figure this way, we can put all the firmware update announcements in once place. :)
_____
Update: 29 June 2017:

The Godox download page now has firmware updates for all the existing Canon/Nikon/Sony versions of the AD360II, V860II, and TT685, so they can grok the -O and -F transmitter signals. All the updates are:
______
Update: 21 Aug 2017:

New firmware for all X1T flavors, the iOS GodoxPhoto app can control Godox lights via an A1+X1T. The X1T goes into a simple relay mode and does not overwrite the settings from the app.

Last edited:

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, and not quite at the same level, but B&H is listing Godox gear as Godox gear (well, except for the already-rebranded V860 and AD360).

Of the lights in the Godox X system, I can find listings for:
  • QT400IIM / QT600IIM / QT1200M (HSS manual 400Ws/600Ws/1200Ws corded studio strobe)
  • AD200 (lower price than Adorama's. $299 vs. $329.95 but looks like there are no color gels or barn doors in the box)
  • AD360 (as Interfit Strobies 360, Bolt VB-22), needs an XTR16 to be used in X system, manual
  • QS400II / QS600II / QS800II / QS1200II (400Ws/600Ws/800Ws/1200Ss corded strobe. Manual only, no HSS?)
  • V860 (as Interfit Strobies Pro-Flash TLi), needs an XTR16s to be used in X system
  • V860II Nikon / Sony (TTL/HSS Li-ion powered speedlight)
  • TT685 Nikon / Canon / Sony (TTL/HSS 4xAA-powered speedlight)
  • TT600 (manual 4xAA-powered speedlight)
  • TT350 Canon / Sony / MFT (TTL/HSS 2xAA mini speedlight)
  • X1 transmitters, receivers and Tx/Rx sets for Canon, Nikon, Sony
  • XT32 transmitters for Canon, Nikon
  • 1200Ws head for AD600
Interesting. No V850/II (unless it's hiding under one of the Interfit names). No Canon V860II. No Nikon or Fuji TT350. No AD360II. No AD600 (but then Adorama has the exclusive on the TTL version), and Adorama's not listing the QSII series but is doing two of the SKII series, which B&H isn't. And neither one carries the XT16. :) Ah... interesting times.

Last edited:

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Seems odd the V850II isn't part of the X system? I was looking to pick up the TT350. Don't REALLY need it but realized it could control other X systems... that might actually be a nice backup to have. I have no use for the 860's really (want TT350 for size, eventually will try some AD200s, hoping to retrofit V850I's, heh).

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Seems odd the V850II isn't part of the X system?
Could also just be I have lousy search or rebrand translation skills on the B&H website. :)

I was looking to pick up the TT350. Don't REALLY need it but realized it could control other X systems... that might actually be a nice backup to have. I have no use for the 860's really (want TT350 for size, eventually will try some AD200s, hoping to retrofit V850I's, heh).
That's my take with the TT350. If you'd rather have an X1T-O; wait for the X1T-O. Get the TT350 because you primarily wanted a mini-flash for on-camera use, anyway. I love that you can retrofit a V850 for this system (and HSS) by getting a $20 XTR16s.

PeterG

New to Mu-43
Just want to summarize Godox X/Flashpoint R2 system stuff that's happened recently since there's been so much going on, and to give this subject a discussion thread that's not AD200 or TT350 specific. Figure this way, we can put all the firmware update announcements in once place. :)
Thanks for posting this. I will definitely check out the TT685-O (aka Zoom R2). I got the Zoom R2 mini a few weeks ago. Seems like a good low cost entry to wireless flash with room to grow.

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
... Seems like a good low cost entry to wireless flash with room to grow.
Yup. Much better choice for an MFT shooter than a Yongnuo YN-560IV/YN-660 + YN-560-TX who might one day need something bigger than speedlights.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Could also just be I have lousy search or rebrand translation skills on the B&H website. :)
I actually noticed it on Godox's website. This is the one thing that holds me back sometimes, not really sure what the future is for these guys. That and the lion batteries. Love them, but have had 3 die on me (neewer, supposedly newer model post initial batch, but the ones I just got are also different).

But it's sooo nice not to use AAs....

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro

PeterG

New to Mu-43
If you can splurge for the li-ion battery ones vs th AA, go for it. The are game changers. The v850ii is part of the 2.4ghz,X, or R2 system, which is excellently explained here: GODOX – 2.4GHz Flash System Overview | FLASH HAVOC

Also newly announced were the dual head bracket for the ad200, and the led version of the ad600 style unit. FLASHPOINT EVOLV TWIN HEAD – Bracket Announced | FLASH HAVOC
Why is the Li-on version a game changer vs the AA version? The recycle time in the specs is the same. I did not see number of full load discharges of Li-on vs AA version. For me I already have a number of components with AA so it is much easier to deal with AA (can use same chargers, swap back and forth vs having to have a proprietary battery and charger).

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Why is the Li-on version a game changer vs the AA version? The recycle time in the specs is the same. I did not see number of full load discharges of Li-on vs AA version. For me I already have a number of components with AA so it is much easier to deal with AA (can use same chargers, swap back and forth vs having to have a proprietary battery and charger).
For folks who use multiple speedlights and external battery packs, it's just a huge simplification to have the internal battery pack. One pack is basically like 2 sets of 4xAA. If, say, you're using three speedlights, and go through four sets of batteries on a shoot, then that's 48xAA and three times you have to stop to swap batteries vs. 6 Li-Ion packs and a single swap. Even if you use 8xAA external battery packs, you'd still have a mess of AAs to deal with, and making sure that cording the pack to the speedlight is secure.

But, as you say, the packs are $50 a piece, proprietary, and require proprietary chargers, vs. being able to run down to Costco and grab another bunch of Eneloops. So, it is a matter of usage as to which one works better for you. The additional cost of getting a V850II vs. a TT600 isn't just the difference in the units ($150 vs. $70), it could also include the price of an additional pack ($50) and possibly an additional charger ($20), so it may be more like $220 vs. $70.

As a light hobbyist shooter, I think I've only ever had to change batteries once on a shoot for three flashes. I don't do thousand-pop sessions and I rarely use more than two lights. So for me, the AAs still make sense. For a pro who's working more lights much much harder, the Li-Ion units are probably a godsend.

I will also point out that Yongnuo just announced its first Li-Ion flash (YN-686EX-RT). So this may be a coming trend. Curious to see if it trickles back up to OEM manufacturers and whether or not someone finally thinks to standardize the freaking packs so we use the same ones for all camera bodies and flashes [hey, we can dream, right?]

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wow.

The Godox download page now has Firmware updates for the AD360II (-C/-N), V860II (-C/-N/-S), and TT685 (-C/-N/-S) versions to grok -O and -F signals.

That's it. They're all out. [blink]. Well, this thread is going to be shorter than I thought!!! :D Updating the top post.

ThomD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I updated my Explor 600B to v2.4 . With 350TT on my EM1.2, TTL and HSS work nicely. TTL and 1/8000!

It isn't super clear, but you need G1 of the Godox updater for everything except the AD200. That needs G2. I used the firmware updater from Adorama. For the AD600, the USB connector is under the "sync" cover flap. You must disconnect the battery and then power up the flash before you connect it to the USB cable. The flash will not enter update mode while the main battery is connected.

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In early December 2017, there's been another round of firmware updates.

AD600, AD360II, V860II, and TT685 models (all flavors) have gotten an update to add the ability to turn off LED blinking in RF slave mode, and to use ID codes with an XPro trigger. No sign yet of a similar AD200 update, for some reason.

TT350 original shipped version firmware has been added to the site (probably because of the mess created by Adorama labelling the TT350-C update as a general TT350 update, and the resultant bricking of -N/-S/-O/-F versions when applied).

The rest of the updates are mostly for Canon/Nikon gear to fix some bugs on the X1T-N/X1R-N, and the XPros.

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
...and on 10 Jan, 2018, all the X1T and X1R units got updates to add ID code function.

On the X1T transmitters, it's a new custom function.
On the X1R receivers, it's:
The customer can set RF ID. Operation: press the CH and GR button simultaneously and power it on to enter the RF ID setting interface. Short or long press the CH button to add the ID value while short or long press the GR button to decrease. Power off the flash trigger after 5s, and ID value can be set and saved. Then, power it on, and the ID value will affect RF reception.
Just as a reminder only the lights with firmware upgrade capability can use ID codes. The TT600 and V850II cannot.

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
They also announced the LI version of the tt350 this week, aka the v350, at ces.
Nice. Elv said that was in the works on flash havoc in comments threads. Let's hope they've added all the X1T fixes/updates to it as a transmitter.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom