Godox tt350o vs tt6850

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by 67cudajohn, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:34 AM.

1. 67cudajohn

67cudajohn Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 9, 2017
    Hey guys I'm in the market to buy my first speed light for my oly m10mkii. To this point my photography has been mostly surf/ocean and nature landscape so i haven't had much need for a flash ever. But I'm now looking to broaden my spectram and get into portrait photography. I've already decided oon the ol 45 1.8 i just need to decide on flash but here is my delima.i only can afford either the tt350 with the x1to trigger, OR ONLY the tt685. So basically what I'm asking is with that 45 1.8 ill be using you all think it is more important to have a larger more powerful flash that i can only use while mounted to the hot shoe (tt685). OR a less powerful unit but be able to get the flash off the camera wherever i need it to be and still have full ttl capability..... so guys hope you can help me out im looking to place my order tomrrow tanks!

2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    What kind of things are you looking to use flash for? Do you want to do reportage style or event shooting? Then go for on camera. Do you want to do lit portraiture? Then go for the trigger. Are you willing to buy another flashes later down the line? How about light stands, brackets, umbrellas and other various modifiers? (A good kit can be had fairly cheaply, but your talking + $100 min after the light) If not... off camera lighting might be a bit much for the moment.

Also, wait a week, big sales for Godox around Black Friday and cyber Monday.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Have both and the trigger for my EM5 ii.

The TT685 is way to heavy for our cameras, it's weight is absolutely fine for off camera use, but not for on-camera. Even with the ECG grip attached to my camera, handholding with the flash is a burden ...

The smaller TT350 is much much nicer on camera. And you get a wonderful opportunity to use it off camewra too. The flash brightness in TTL is not much behind (I have measured only 1 stop), you won't find many situations where only the big flash would do the job. You can always raise ISO one stop and you will compliment the flash with the fast 45/1.8 which will help too ...

Where the big flash shines is the nearly instant recharge time at 1/4 power and in HSS mode. I don't know why, but in HSS it has 2 stops more power.

Christof

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  4. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I’d agree that the tt350 works much better size wise for our m43 cameras, but unless you’re in a room with close and/or white walls, it’s often not powerful enough for my needs (I almost never use direct flash). It will work for some things, but I almost always reach for the v860s now instead for the more power and much faster recycle times of the Li-ion batteries.

5. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2017
    i just picked up a 685 as my first flash, yes its huge but she preforms great, i also used my 45mm f1.8 and went to a indoor concert the other day, was great to have the fast recycle time, havent tried many of the other features but so far i luv this thing, others have mentioned the zoom in ttl isnt accurate, and i can attest to that, i used this with my 12-100 and at 12mm it shows 12 but at 45mm on the camera it shows 52 on the flash, only seems acurate at both ends 12 and 100, any zoom inbetween isnt accurate

6. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    You can do both - buy the tt350o and then also buy a cheap manual flash for off-camera work. You can use the tt350 as an optical trigger for the manual flash in slave mode, so you won't need a radio trigger.

Amazon do a basics model for ~$30. Sure, it's manual only, but believe me that's not as tricky as it sounds and you will learn much faster about balancing light levels and the relationship between you camera settings and flash power if you start on this route.

If you haven't checked it out already, lighting 101 at strobist.com should be your bedtime reading for the next couple of nights!

• Like Like x 2
  7. 67cudajohn

67cudajohn Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 9, 2017
    Hello thank you all for your advice so far. So i think my best plan of action is to wait until black friday to see if godox has any good sales going anywhere. That way maybe i could get the 350 to use as a trigger and 685 for off camera. These are not the flashes i plan on ever getting and i will be adding to the system but for now i just need a workable system to learn and get me started in the portrait and event side of photography. Who knows maybe if godox is having good sales for the upcoming holiday i could just get the ad200 strobe and radio trigger. Or ad200 and tt350. If anyone has more advice or better ideas please let me know!

8. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    This is just me, but if you were planning on using the speedlight off-camera Strobist style, you might not need TTL, and you could also consider getting a manual-only TT600 (US$65) instead of a TT685-O as your off-camera light. While you won't get TTL over radio with the TT600, you can get HSS; and a TT600 costs less than a TT350-O.

The AD200 is a $300 light, so I'm not sure it's in your price range, if the difference between $85 and $110 units is enough to sway your decision.

9. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    TT600 is a valid point, so John got a third option: small TT350 on-camera (instead of the bare trigger) and powerful but cheap TT600 off-camera. Should be around 140$ and with some black-friday luck ...

10. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I'll take a photo of my E-M1II with the Flashpoint R2 Mini (TT350 under Adorama) against my Nikon SB800 if you're curious. The SB800 is a good stand as a full sized flash.

The TT600 strategy is a great one, since if you're using off camera flash you don't necessarily want it to TTL, you just want to dial it in until you get what you want. Having HSS and remote control (Instead of messing with them) is a nice thing. I'm hoping Godox releases their new transmitter to Micro Four Thirds as that seems to be a better unit than their current older transmitter (Mediocre user interface being the primary problem).

11. Reflector

Aug 31, 2013
    Ow my eyes 1. Ow my eyes 2. Ow my eyes 3.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 67cudajohn

67cudajohn Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 9, 2017
    Do you find yourself limited by the smaller flash? Could you get by with just it?

13. Reflector

Aug 31, 2013
    I'm not a big strobe guy so I wouldn't be able to give you that much input on it (especially for portraits as I don't strobe for portraits, I overwhelm my sensor with photons inhaled in by a f/0.9 prime and f/1.2 zooms*1)
    It does have a really decent GN for how tiny it is.
    It doesn't make the flyback transformer sound when it charges up.
    It is definitely a little weaker than the SB800, but I primarily got this so I could have the radio control system of the Godox and also HSS capabilities.
    You can definitely set it to full power and nuke a room to light everything up. Those photos have both flashes firing around 1:1 to 1:4 with upward bounces and I'm shooting at ISO 200 @ f/8 on the 60mm Olympus Macro.
    I got mine with intent to get another so I can make a bracket that allows me to mount them parallel with the body relative to the lens so I could have the most overpowered ring/macro flash setup possible and I'm just waiting on the radio controller that has that feature where it converts TTL to manual values to be released for Micro Four Thirds.

*1 Show Photographers

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 11:33 PM
  14. Pintu

Pintu Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2017
    TT350o on camera + TT600 off camera.

You don't gain much by using a dedicated X1To as a trigger. The TT350o is small enough and the added versatility of using it as a fill or bounce while it controls a TT600 off camera is very welcome.
    The TT600 is every bit as powerful as the TT685o. And in most scenarios you wouldn't be using TTL off camera anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Nicely timed thread since I'm pondering on what to buy next to accompany my TT350o. I've been thinking about the Amazon flash or another TT350o but maybe I'd be better off with a TT600 instead. I do like the size and the fact that TT350o eats only 2 batteries instead of 4. But then again the other two are cheaper and I could get by fine with either of them.

Decisions, decisions... Let's see if Black Friday makes it easier for me... ;)

16. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Until a firmware update comes out for the tt350-o (currently on the original V1.1), I would hesitate to buy it for the purpose of using it as trigger. I find it to be unreliable/buggy with the GX8 when triggering other flash units, however the x1t-o trigger works much more reliably for me, so I believe the problems will be fixed in the future via software update. On camera, it works great. Again, this is with the GX8, a camera that has caused problems for multiple 3rd party camera companies to include godox, elenchrome, nissin, cactus, and even profoto. I have not tried this with other cameras.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 67cudajohn

67cudajohn Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 9, 2017
    Ok thank you for all the help so far. I think my plan is to now get the tt350 to use as on camera fill and radio trigger and i will get the tt600 for off camera flash. I understand the tt600 does not have ttl but am i correct in assuming that the tt350 will be able to control it via radio signal and not just as an optical slave? Also what else will i be able to control on the tt600 from the tt350 or will i manually have to enter all my settings into the tt600 first and only have control over when it fires from the tt350s radio system?

18. Pintu

Pintu Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2017
    You can adjust its power but you can't adjust the zoom for some reason. Not sure if the bug is with the TT600 and you can't adjust zoom remotely with any trigger or it's specific to the TT350o.

19. 67cudajohn

67cudajohn Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 9, 2017
    Ok that should not be a problom either way because i will only be using the flashes for now with my 45mm. So i Will not be zooming.

20. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I agree with this sentiment, if you're using TTL-capable slaves. I'm having a really weird issue with my TT350-O as a master on my GX-7 with my TT685C as a slave.

However, with my TT600 slaves, everything is fine. Again, YMMV depending on what camera body you're using.

Yes. The TT350-O is a radio (RF) master for any light/receiver in the Godox X system. Over radio, you can adjust the manual power level of a TT600, as well as set/use it in HSS. If you choose to use the S1/S2 "dumb" optical slave modes on the TT600, instead of the RF slave mode, you can only fire the flash remotely.

I'm not sure about 2nd-curtain capability over RF. The TT350-O does not have a 2nd curtain setting, but if I set 2nd curtain in my GX7's flash menus, on camera, the TT350-O does do 2nd curtain. Just not sure if that is communicated over RF to slaves, since neither the TT350-O or the TT600 has a 2nd-curtain setting.

Zoom control is not really part of the Godox triggering system, as it is with Yongnuo's. The only current control you can have (with an X1T as the master unit) is to set zoom to Auto mode for all groups and it's a custom function, which is awkward to find/set. The new XPro transmitter (I shoot Canon, so I have an XPro-C for my 5DMkII) can adjust zoom by group (image courtesy of the PetaPixel hands-on by Robert Hall):

unnamed-1-1-800x534.
    but it only works for TTL flash units, and only if the zoom is set to AUTO on the flash itself (or at least, that's how it works with my TT685C).

On my TT350-O, adjusting the Zoom setting for its group on my XPro-C does make the tube move back and forth in the head, but it doesn't seem to actually change the zoom setting. But. TT350 speedlights, I'm told by the Flashpoint support dude at Adorama, cannot do cross-brand TTL, like the full-sized speedlights can.

The other (slight) drawback I've found with the XPro is that it does not have single-pin mode, like the X1T does.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 11:28 PM