1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Godox "compatibility"

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Saledolce, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    Is there any degree of compatibility between Godox O products (for m43) and S products for Sony? I have a tt350o and a X1t, if I add something for my Sony would I get any interaction across Godox products for different systems?

2. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    As I understand it the Godox controllers will control all Godox flashes (O/S/N/C/F) wirelessly.

3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Seoul, South Korea
    You’ll need a dedicated triggering device for the brand of body you’re using (actual trigger or flash as a trigger) and it should work across Godox’s gen2 line, and even the gen 1 line if you update the receiver units to the 2.4ghz ones.

4. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    With the current lineup of "on-camera" Godox flashes, I can "mix and match" systems for remote flash as long as I use the proper remote controller on the camera. The on-camera flashes require you to buy them for a specific system (the AD200 does not, it is universal). So I can use a Fuji "on-camera" flash as a remote with a m43 system by using a Godox m43 remote on the camera It controls the remote Fuji (or Nikon etc) flash being used as a remote. You cannot, however, use the Fuji flash directly on the m43 camera, only as a remote.

5. Saledolce

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    Ok, interesting. So if I add an S unit, I can use it:
    - on camera on Sony
    - as remote (or one of the remotes) with my m43 trigger on my Oly EM1

did I get you guys correctly?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    Bingo

• Like Like x 1
  7. Saledolce

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    Now I need to decide if it makes sense to add another TT350, or to pick a larger model....

• Like Like x 1
  8. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Pick a larger model.

The TT350 might work cross-brand in TTL/HSS, but it's not designed to. The TT350/V350 and the X1R receivers are the only pieces in the Godox system that don't support cross-brand TTL.

My TT350-O will only fire at full power when used as a slave from my TT685C or my XPro-C in TTL. It will do M power control and HSS, though. When I complained to Flashpoint support (brands@adorama.com), I was basically told the 350 models aren't designed to do cross-brand TTL, like the TT685 and V860II are.

My TT685C, otoh, works perfectly as a TTL/HSS/remote power slave to my XPro-O on my GX7, my XPro-C on my 5DMkII, and my Xpro-F on my X100T.

There's also the fact that the V860II and TT685 tend to get a far more frequent firmware updates than the TT350/V350 do. I think the TT685 had ID code capability about 9 months before Godox finally rolled it out to the TT350.

And, if you don't care about firmware updates or TTL, the TT600 is $65 and as powerful as a TT685/V860II, so better bang for the buck as an off-camera light vs. the TT350.

9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Go with a V860 II if you want a speedlight for on-camera use, or an AD200 if you plan on using more OCF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The 350s are nice little upgrades to built in and the little included flashes that both Olympus and Fuji supply. It's handy that they can be used as a trigger, but I would build a system around them.

11. Saledolce

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    Ok, let's assume I don'g go cheap again, and buy one of the larger models. Is it correct to say that V860ii and TT685 are similar performance, except the battery?

12. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Seoul, South Korea
    The Li will recycle faster and last about 3x longer that the AA battery flash unless you add an external battery pack. To me I t’s worth it just to not hat to lug around, mess with, and charge the AAs. I’ve only burned through an entire Li battery once, and was at well over 1200 shots that night, mainly at 1 - 1/4 power.

13. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Yes. Capacity is roughly 3x that of the AAs on the li-on version, and recycle times will be slightly better, but there is no external battery pack port on the V860II, and the battery pack and charger are proprietary. Otherwise, UI and feature-wise they're identical, if similar firmware updates have been issued for both models. (Right now, for example, the V860II has received a firmware update for P-TTL compatibility with a Pentax trigger, but the TT685 has not).

In the US, from Adorama, the TT685-O goes for $110, and the V860II goes for $180.

Compared to the TT350, with a TT685, you'll get 360º swivel, a PC sync port, an external battery pack port, and a recycle beep. It's about a stop more powerful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.