Godox "compatibility"

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Is there any degree of compatibility between Godox O products (for m43) and S products for Sony? I have a tt350o and a X1t, if I add something for my Sony would I get any interaction across Godox products for different systems?

comment23

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Simon
Is there any degree of compatibility between Godox O products (for m43) and S products for Sony? I have a tt350o and a X1t, if I add something for my Sony would I get any interaction across Godox products for different systems?
As I understand it the Godox controllers will control all Godox flashes (O/S/N/C/F) wirelessly.

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
You’ll need a dedicated triggering device for the brand of body you’re using (actual trigger or flash as a trigger) and it should work across Godox’s gen2 line, and even the gen 1 line if you update the receiver units to the 2.4ghz ones.

Real Name
Rick
With the current lineup of "on-camera" Godox flashes, I can "mix and match" systems for remote flash as long as I use the proper remote controller on the camera. The on-camera flashes require you to buy them for a specific system (the AD200 does not, it is universal). So I can use a Fuji "on-camera" flash as a remote with a m43 system by using a Godox m43 remote on the camera It controls the remote Fuji (or Nikon etc) flash being used as a remote. You cannot, however, use the Fuji flash directly on the m43 camera, only as a remote.

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ok, interesting. So if I add an S unit, I can use it:
- on camera on Sony
- as remote (or one of the remotes) with my m43 trigger on my Oly EM1

did I get you guys correctly?

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Now I need to decide if it makes sense to add another TT350, or to pick a larger model....
Pick a larger model.

The TT350 might work cross-brand in TTL/HSS, but it's not designed to. The TT350/V350 and the X1R receivers are the only pieces in the Godox system that don't support cross-brand TTL.

My TT350-O will only fire at full power when used as a slave from my TT685C or my XPro-C in TTL. It will do M power control and HSS, though. When I complained to Flashpoint support (brands@adorama.com), I was basically told the 350 models aren't designed to do cross-brand TTL, like the TT685 and V860II are.

My TT685C, otoh, works perfectly as a TTL/HSS/remote power slave to my XPro-O on my GX7, my XPro-C on my 5DMkII, and my Xpro-F on my X100T.

There's also the fact that the V860II and TT685 tend to get a far more frequent firmware updates than the TT350/V350 do. I think the TT685 had ID code capability about 9 months before Godox finally rolled it out to the TT350.

And, if you don't care about firmware updates or TTL, the TT600 is $65 and as powerful as a TT685/V860II, so better bang for the buck as an off-camera light vs. the TT350.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
The 350s are nice little upgrades to built in and the little included flashes that both Olympus and Fuji supply. It's handy that they can be used as a trigger, but I would build a system around them.

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
The Li will recycle faster and last about 3x longer that the AA battery flash unless you add an external battery pack. To me I t’s worth it just to not hat to lug around, mess with, and charge the AAs. I’ve only burned through an entire Li battery once, and was at well over 1200 shots that night, mainly at 1 - 1/4 power.

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ok, let's assume I don't go cheap again, and buy one of the larger models. Is it correct to say that V860ii and TT685 are similar performance, except the battery?
Yes. Capacity is roughly 3x that of the AAs on the li-on version, and recycle times will be slightly better, but there is no external battery pack port on the V860II, and the battery pack and charger are proprietary. Otherwise, UI and feature-wise they're identical, if similar firmware updates have been issued for both models. (Right now, for example, the V860II has received a firmware update for P-TTL compatibility with a Pentax trigger, but the TT685 has not).

In the US, from Adorama, the TT685-O goes for $110, and the V860II goes for $180.

Compared to the TT350, with a TT685, you'll get 360º swivel, a PC sync port, an external battery pack port, and a recycle beep. It's about a stop more powerful.

Ale

Mu-43 Regular
My TT350-O will only fire at full power when used as a slave from my TT685C or my XPro-C in TTL. It will do M power control and HSS, though. When I complained to Flashpoint support (brands@adorama.com), I was basically told the 350 models aren't designed to do cross-brand TTL, like the TT685 and V860II are.
Sad news. Thanks for the tip.

Real Name
Matt
Sad news.
Yes, and then again, no. If you go multi-flash anyway, you really should consider doing things all manually; it's a totally different exerience, much more flexible and rewarding than TTL when done right (which, in turn, is more convenient for sure). The Godox line makes this very easy and inexpensive to experiment with. I usually use the AD200 as a main light (with various add-ons and reflectors) as a matter of course for quick shoots and love the combo with the TT685S as a frugal, yet perfectly usable two-light setup I can control quickly with my X1N (or X1T-O - but I rarely use the :mu43: system with off-camera flash). The TT685S works very well as a rim or hair light at lower power, or generally as a second light - in fact, that's what I use it for most of the time (it's quite a big unit to go on a small camera ... maybe you should keep that in mind). The TT350 is bound to be almost as useful (if a bit less versatile) as a second light. Besides, the TT685S is powerful enough to even allow for switching roles in a pinch, e.g. using the AD200 to light a deep background and still maintain good main light performance. So, in a nutshell, the TT350 remains useful (especially since you have a controller anyway), and the bigger on-camera flashes make pretty decent main lights. I bought the TT685S to have a solid on-camera flash for the Sony system if I ever needed one, but I mainly did it with the two-light setup in mind.

M.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom