Godox and HSS at fast speeds on EM1 II ??

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
There's some oddity I found with the Godox and HSS on E-M1 II.

I set the ISO to 200 (Recommended) and put a Godox speedlight (e.g. Either a TT-685 or TT-350 for Olympus) in the hot shoe, but there is an odd shutter speed that comes into play and changes from 1/50 down to even slower 1/20 with an increase in the ISO.

Example: ISO 200, Godox HSS Sync (i.e. Lightning bolt) on the flash is ON, with the Anti-Shock or mechanical shutter ON (Diamond) I can go from 1 second up to 1/8000 second - no problem.

Changing from Anti-Shock/mechanical into Silent/electronic shutter (Heart) I can go up to the fastest maximum of 1/32,000 second. No problem there either.

So far all is normal.

However, with the above still set the same: i.e. ISO 200, Silent/electronic (Heart), HSS SYNC lightning bolt on Godox LCD is still ON, and 1/32,000 sec. shutter still set, if I just turn OFF the Sync (HSS) on the Godox itself the camera's speed immediately drops from 1/32,000 way down to 1/50 second, or much slower than the mechanical sync speed of 1/250 second. Odd?

Now increasing the ISO up from the recommend ISO 200 to ISO 8000 the shutter speed drops even slower to 1/20 second at ISO 8000 and higher. I would think shutter should go faster, but it goes even slower? :confused-53:

Exact same thing on E-M1X also. Going higher ISO makes camera shutter go slower (1/50 to 1/20 sec.).

This has to be something to do with the fully open scan speed of the Silent shutter, but why it goes opposite (to an even slower shutter) with the increase in ISO seems odd. My thoughts are the really fast speeds in Silent from 1/8000 to 1/32,000 must be on the order of 1/50 second for the fully open scan time to sync with electronic flash, i.e. X-sync with electronic shutter is only 1/50 second with those fastest speeds?

I looked for some info on HSS in the Darrell Young book on "Mastering the Olympus OM-D E-M1-Mark II" and he is mum on the subject.

Last edited:

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
There's some oddity I found with the Godox and HSS on E-M1 II.
There is a limit for flash sync with e-shutter because of banding. From the E-M1iii manual:
1631728642108.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The next thing. A camera has to be in M/S mode (I have never used S mode). This is the only way how to set the shutter speed (HSS) at your wish. In A mode the camera sets the shutter speed accordingly to an ambient light available (slow(2)/second curtain shutter) or is set by the item menu called minimum flash sync [see bellow] for the first curtain shutter (fill in).

1631729045062.png

1631729471729.png

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks JonSnih. :th_salute:

That info is what I was looking for when I inquired what the sync or open time was for the highest speeds. I don't have the E-M1 Mark II manual, but did see it in see it in the E-M1X manual I have and might be a bit more info given the E-M1X manual is almost 700 pages.

I was hoping the Silent or Electronic shutter's X-sync speed was much better than 1/50, or even 1/20 second in worse case. Maybe 1/100 or faster. Oh well....

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was using Silent Shutter and the Godox TT-685-O flash in the shoe on E-M1 Mark II at ISO 200.

I found with that setup I can get a faint black unexposed band at the top of the frame even at 1/50 second flash sync speed. It cleared up and was properly exposed at 1/40 second. One needs to be careful when using flash with Silent (Electronic) Shutter.

Aside, I was planning on using the top speed of 1/32,000 second but found out my Sekonic L-858D-U light meter does not support that fast of speed. It only goes up to 1/16,000 second which was way back in the E-M1 Mark I era where that was the fastest speed then. The E-M1 Mark II model raised that speed. I emailed Sekonic Japan yesterday and they responded this AM with:

"Thank you very much for your e-mail about Electronic shutter speed on flash mode, Olympus cameras (E-M1 Mark III) and other newer models.).
Your information and requirement has been fed back to our planning team.
At this moment, we cannot promise when we can adapt 1/32000 sec. shutter speed on flash mode, however, we will make effort to determine to adapt this shutter speed in the future, seeing the tendency of electronic shutter speed in the market.

We look forward to your continuous support of our products.

Best regards,

xxx, Sekonic Japan"

So maybe soon, I hope.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So maybe soon, I hope.
Ya the part where they state "seeing the tendency of electronic shutter speed in the market." indicates they realize this is an important feature they will need to support rather than just blowing you off with a generic response, and also that they actually read you email.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ya the part where they state "seeing the tendency of electronic shutter speed in the market." indicates they realize this is an important feature they will need to support rather than just blowing you off with a generic response, and also that they actually read you email.
Yes!

Least they responded and fast, <12 hours (and in the middle of the night here as my phone's notification beeped and woke me via the Smartwatch.). I've had very good communication with them and their personal email. Not so good with the macgroup distributor for them in USA, so I had to resort to communicating with the home office which is often hard to find given macgroup seems to run the English/USA site.

I don't know if 1/32,000 is an Olympus only feature and not on any other brand? The Panasonic GH5 only goes up to 1/16,000 sec. in their spec sheet. The big Nikon Z7 II only goes up to 1/8,000 second so Sekonic covered them.

These fast Noct lenses appearing, like the Voigtlander's 29mm f/0.8, can use these extreme high speeds,

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom