Goddox System Disconnects

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Clint, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    For years I had been waiting for a system that I could adjust the power of my lights from camera position. This year I got that system, it is great to be able to change the power from camera position - but not as great as what I thought. But yet really nice.

The one really thing I didn't expect a company was to produce a system where you could use the same flashes and strobes with different brands of cameras, and only have to change the transmitter and still have the benefits of TTL and changing power levels. Last week I had to pull out my Nikon gear and it was great using the same lighting system as what I use the OM-Ds!

Here are some minor nitpics you might want to keep in mind if you are trying to decide on what to get. I called this is a system as the comments address the TT600, TT685, V850II, V860II, and AD 200

- Flash zoom setting are not accurate.
    - These units use two different sizes of sync cables, 2.5mm and 3.5mm.
    - Only a couple of units have the capability slave groups being set to D or E. The TT600, V850II and the AD200.
    - Three different control layouts on different flashes, one for the manual flashes, another for the TTL flashes, and another for the AD200.
    - The AD200 controls are virtually unreadable when in full sun. I made a sunhood for mine. But I guess the answer for this is just to depend on the transmitter.

So far it has been a great system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Appreciate the info, Clint.

3. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Washington DC
    Tony
    You also can't change the zoom setting via remote at the moment either...small item but... otherwise this has been an interesting system to explore. I just got into it a week ago. Then again, it has offered a lot more than my pocket wizards did.

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You can change zoom settings - On the X1T you have to go to the C.Fn-02 setting and set the zoom you want. Very cumbersome and I believe it affects every flash which makes it worthwhile only in unique situations.

The Godox XPro transmitter changes this.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    So, if you need more groups, you can add the plug in receivers, which will give you a total of 16. And we are getting independent zoom control with the xPro trigger.

My problem with the system would be as follows:
    - I also wish all the groups were built in.
    - grid/mag system from the ad200 on the v850/860 flashes
    - blank or color cal gels for the mag system
    - maybe locking heads instead of screw collar?
    - the side screw on the ad360/200 sticks out a bit and makes it a pain to work with the Bowen’s adapter.
    - an actual led head for the ad200, not this silly thing they released.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  6. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Washington DC
    Tony
    You are totally correct. I always forget about this because it is so inconvenient to do. Rarely do I want all my lights doing the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 2