Go or no go

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ronyzmbow, Dec 12, 2011.

1. ronyzmbow

ronyzmbow Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    I am using Olympus DSLR for a long time. Today I use E-1 with 14-54 lens plus 40-150 mk. 2 and 35 Macro. Used to own also E-520.

I feel the need for higher megapixel sensor but love my E-1 and also invested in my past lenses ans a flash. Recently started to read about the Micro 4-3 and have a line of questions-

1.How good are the 4-3 lenses on a Micro 4-3 camera? Will I feel difference in focusing speed?

2. I can get a PEN E-PL1 for a very good price and a PEN E-PL2 for about 20% more. Is there a big difference between the two? Is there a difference in IQ?

3. Kit lens 14-42 old and new version - is the new one a big improvement over the old?

3. How important is the feature of being able to change the aspect ratio in a camera?

Anyway something that bothers me a lot is the prices of the new Micro 4-3 lenses - why are they so high?

Or should I just stay with the regular Olympus 4-3 and look for a secondhand E-620?

Decisions, decisions...

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It depends on the lens, but on the higher grade lenses yes you will definitely feel the difference in focus speed. The CDAF optimized lenses are better, and the standard grade CDAF lenses are the fastest on Micro Four-Thirds. A lens like your 14-54mm, particularly if it's the original version (which I assume it is - did it come with the E-1?), will be noticeably slow to focus.

However, they are still very usable on Micro Four-Thirds, and are still the primary lenses which I use commercially on my PEN (for casual I tend to go for the legacy lenses instead). You have to know how to reach for the manual focus ring though, when the AF gets too slow. AF is something a photographer should not rely too much on anyways. ;)

Your 40-150mm Mark II will perform the best for AF on a PEN, but that lens is also available in Micro Four-Thirds version. A lens like the 14-54mm has no Micro Four-Thirds equivalent, and the Leica 45mm Macro-Elmarit is a great lens but very expensive compared with the very affordable Zuiko 35mm Macro. So it is well worth adapting those lenses even if the focus speed is slower.

There is a big difference between the two, but there is not a big difference in Image Quality (the E-PL2 is very slightly better). The difference is in build, handling, control, compatibility, and speed. The E-PL2 has the control wheel to make adjustments much quicker, it has twice the LCD resolution and a much bigger screen, it doesn't limit shutter speed or remote compatibility like the E-PL1 does, and its AF as well as overall response is quicker. Both cameras have a weak AA filter and deliver very sharp images.

The E-PL2 also looks a lot better, in my opinion. ;)

Yes, it is a big improvement in build. It is has internal focus and is a lot quieter as well as more solid in the front element (which is non-rotating in the new version).

Not important at all for most models. Only the Panasonic GH series has a multi-aspect sensor which captures a fuller resolution at different aspect ratios. All the other micro four-thirds models only crop the original 4:3 image.

I thought they were comparable market value to everything else in current production (not older models)... :confused:

That's not a bad idea either, but I would go for a second-hand E-510 for anything in the consumer level. It has the weakest AA filter and sharpest images of all the NMOS sensored Olys up until the E-5... which is the sharpest of all. However, you can get actual E-5 image quality in an E-PL2 as well. Either camera will deliver better images than the E-620, but the E-PL2 will deliver the best. To my tastes anyways in regards to the E-510... I prefer the sharper, punchier images of the E-510, but some might prefer the higher dynamic range and cleaner noise of the E-620. The E-PL2 however (as with the E-5) will deliver better images in every way, from detail retention to high ISO performance.

3. ronyzmbow

ronyzmbow Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    I am almost ready to go also with M43 alongside my heavy beloved E-1 but find it very difficult to decide between the E-PM1 vs E-PL3.
    Anyone has experience with both and can elaborate in practical use differences?

4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oh Ned.. What else we need to say about EPL2.. I am in love in EPL2 n this is the best MFT camera body. I think it's very cheap these days n costs even less than many P& S cameras.
    Cheers

5. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia

This is why I consider to upgrade, perfect review from the experience users:)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L1

6. ronyzmbow

ronyzmbow Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    I do understand how good is the E-PL2 but I also the need the higher resolution of the other two newer models. Is the price difference between the the E-PL3 and the E-PM3 justified? Will it be difficult for somebody like me being used to the E-1 full control via buttons to work with the E-PM3?

7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Price diff between EPL3 n PM1 depends on how badly u want external controls n tilt LCD. They r both same cameras actually . So if u can live without tilt LCD n external control then PM1 is the best bet. U can use rest of the money to buy my fav Olympus 45 mm 1.8 lens ..
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There is little difference between the E-PL3 and E-PM1, but if you want control comparable to your E-1 then you should look at the E-P3 instead. :)

9. ronyzmbow

ronyzmbow Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    Yes, I know - but then money talks!

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    wait, higher resolution? I do believe they are all 12MP cameras (I assume when you say other two, you mean the E-PM1 and E-PL3 you were comparing)

11. ronyzmbow

ronyzmbow Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    OOOOpppss - my mistake - what I meant is better quality HD video - sorry for this.