Go minimalist

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jul 9, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Ever since getting my NEX I have been thinning out my m43 bodies and lenses. I sold my zooms and GH2 and all I have left is an E-P1, GF2 and a trio of primes (P14, P20 and O45). I am thinking that I want to sell off the P20 next. I think I could get by with the P14 and O45 as a minimalist set and hope that Olympus really does bring out a 25/1.8 at Photonika. I'm finding the P14 to be remarkably flexible as both WA and normal lens because it is fast to AF even on the E-P1 has decent close focus ability. The P20 OTOH is very slow to focus on the E-P1 (no news there) and if the Olympus 25/1.8 really DOES happen and it comes in at $250 or less I suspect resale value of the P20 will drop like a rock. Also, since I bought the NEX, the stuff I would have used the P20 for is going to the NEX/Hexanon 24/2.8 combo (effectively a 36/2.8) so I doubt I would miss it much. Sometimes I wonder if manually focusing the Konica 24 is faster than AF with the P20 on the E-P1. :eek:

I'm going minimalist with a lot of my stuff. My wife, son and I are hoping to move to Barcelona I a few years and having as little stuff as possible to move or store is what we're after...so we're starting that process now. FWIW, it's been pretty liberating. We've already cleared out a garage full of stuff and are starting on a second. Makes the house seem bigger.

Any advice?

2. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I plan on having the 14mm, 45mm as the prime kit until the Olympus 25mm materializes. Even when it doesn't I don't suspect missing the middle focal length that much.

But I do have the 12-50mm kit zoom that bridges my normal should I see the need for it.

A lot of people here are going to tell you that having a low light normal is fairly critical. If it means that much to you to have a normal, the Sigma 19mm can probably bridge the gap for now on the cheap.

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    You know, I can't say that it has ever been THAT important to have a fast normal for me. I think 95% of what I shoot is done a f5.6. The idea of the Olympus 25/1.8 that appeals to me is faster AF. I have to assume that it will be similar in performance to the 45/1.8 or even the latest kits lenses, both of which are reasonably fast on the E-P1 and downright zippy on the GF2.

Also, the high ISO capability of the NEX means that the Konica 24/2.8 can be shot at ISO 3200 and give results like the E-P1 and GF2 at ISO 800. Besides when I need AF I tend to grab the P14 because it's quick, locks focus quickly and IMHO has darned good IQ as well.

4. I'm down to a 3-lens system, and I'm happy with that. Frankly, the 12-35 wasn't totally necessary for me...I could have gotten by with only the 25 and a long zoom...but for convenience sake, the 12-35 makes life bit easier. Having said that, I could get rid of the 25 too...but I like it, and low-light photos are important to me.

I think your 14/45 combo more versatile than most would give it credit for. Even the 14 alone is pretty darn versatile.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree, I have found the 14 way more versatile than I would have guessed. I don't find too much that I can get with the 20 that I can't get with the 14.Also, the 14 comes in real handy when I take it to events and such because getting the framing right in a crowd is a lot easier when backing up isn't so easy.

6. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Do you ever miss not having an ultra wide?

I too would like to go to a permanent 3 lens kit.

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
  8. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    I think you have the right idea d ... I use the P20mm less than the other lens. I typically use the 14mm and pl45 today. I am surprised that the 14mm gets no respect. Having stated that once I save enough for the p12-45mm it probably will not stay in my kit.

9. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I feel carrying less can be very liberating. I spent a couple weeks in LA and just brought the P20 with me and left my bag o lenses at the hotel. Can't say I was upset at not having every focal length covered.