1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Go Figure. . .

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

I inadvertently put one of my EM5 bodies in the bag with the switch on a few days ago. When I took it out today, it was DEAD. Totally, absolutely, DEAD. I replaced the battery with a fully-charged spare from the bag and it was still dead. I replaced that one with another fully-charged spare, and it was still dead. Then I tried the battery out of my other EM5 body and everything came to life again. After that, it would work with any of the batteries except the original dead one. These are all Olympus original batteries, by the way.

This is a mystery to me. Any thoughts?

2. agpr

agpr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Heraklion, Crete
    Just a thought, an uneducated guess, if you prefer. Olympus cameras don't have a battery for keeping settings, time and things like that. Instead of battery they use a coil (if that's the right English word). Maybe, the coil was depleted of power and needed some time to charge in order to power up the camera. You changed the first two batteries too soon, but with the third the coil got enough juice to power-up.
    Just my 0.2 AUD.

3. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Someone has to say it 'does that mean my camera won't get pregnant?':shakehead:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. agpr

agpr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Heraklion, Crete
  5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    @agpr@agpr The pun seems to have been about "coil" ... I think I get your drift - what you say is plausible, so it could actually have been conincidence that the last battery (from the other camera) brought the body back to life. I've had similar effects with tablets I hadn't used for some (i.e. probably too much) time.

The camera also checks the battery for errors, and low discharge ("deplete") *can* damage that type of battery or at least make it throw a basic error, so maybe the one battery that got depleted really is "damaged" or appears to be - does it work in the second camera?

M.

6. agpr

agpr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Heraklion, Crete
    Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea that coil also means a way of contraception.
    My guess is the camera needs some time to charge the power coil and after that is ready to power up. The depleted battery maybe can revived. There are some guides over the net, but have not tried that myself.

7. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Yes. Don't stand in that spot again!!

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Generally there is a backup power cell (another mini battery) or a super capacitor for retaining settings. The former is not rechargeable and eventually needs replacing, the latter lasts practically forever and recharges from the main battery but doesn't have much charge before it drains completely.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. agpr

agpr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Heraklion, Crete
    I stand corrected, capacitor it is. Thanks!

10. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks to all who contributed, and especially, for the helpful information about the capacitor. I recharged the battery, put it back in the camera, and everything seems okay.