"Go big, or go home!"

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by digitalandfilm, Aug 2, 2013.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Interesting article from sensor maker Aptina:

Sensor size is what matters and the trend is for larger, says Aptina: Digital Photography Review

Some quick quotes from article:

"challenges facing compact cameras, the niche that will continue to exist for them, and hints that more large sensor compacts are on their way."

Somebody must be placing orders or submitting RFP's for large sensors for compact cameras.. or else Aptiva is drumming up business.

The next 90 days or so with be telling.
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Bigger sensors are all good and well, but it's the bigger lenses that come with them that are the problem.

I personally think that u43 is a good compromise. The sensor is big enough for good IQ and DOF separation and there is a great range of high quality lenses available. By comparison, APSC means either a restricted range of APSC-specific lenses, or reverting to overly large FF options.

Going smaller than u43 (eg Nikon 1) is starting to eat into IQ and there's not yet as good a range of lenses in these smaller formats as for u43.
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I believe that the article's main emphasis was the 1inch sensor. :smile:

That being said, I'd like to see the Foveon-size sensor implemented in a MILC system. Larger than Four Thirds....smaller than APS :smile:

4. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Yup, the article is about "larger" sensors, so larger than the pokey 1/2.3" sensors you get in most compact cameras.