C&C Go ahead and say it!

I usually don't ask for critique (if it wasn't in the thread caption I wouldn't be able to spell it), But I am trying to emulate this photo . I think I am 1/2 way there not sure if the models make up is what makes it sing to me or the lighting, composition ,or just the fact that I didn't take it. My friend wasn't wearing any make up but so that will make a difference. Just looking for suggestions etc.
Photo in question.I think what intrigues me most is the DOF.
IMG_1080.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My attempt. Of course when uploading this is five times larger.
P1280017-2.jpg

I think you all but nailed it.

What gives the original a little bit more mystery is the model looking away. I'd say try a few different frames with the eye in different positions. I bet each one would give a different feeling.

My only other suggestion might be to get the chin all the way in the frame.

Mountain_Man_79

Do all the interns get Glocks?
Real Name
Chris
Agree with @TNcasual completely. I think its all in the eyes here. I’d also guess the original model is actually not standing up straight, and maybe has her torso leaning forward? This is why so much trap/shoulder area is in the frame, and also out of focus? Just a guess.

I think you all but nailed it.

What gives the original a little bit more mystery is the model looking away. I'd say try a few different frames with the eye in different positions. I bet each one would give a different feeling.

My only other suggestion might be to get the chin all the way in the frame.
Thanks for the feed back,I did crop it but I agree the eye direction does add to the mystique.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It looks like your image has the same overall look. I actually like the eye in your shot better. To me the eye in the original is closed too much and the eye lid to me does not look all that good to me, almost like a black eye domestic violence shot.

Perhaps with the eye open like yours but looking more to the side. I guess that would be trial and error to get the look you want.
A bit of shoulder would possibly make your shot a little better, and a little more distance.

I do like the concept, and depending on what look you want you have an excellent start. :thumbup:

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
To me there is something with the eye and the contrast that is different in yours (not sure which one I prefer). But the original is much whiter and the eyebrow of the original doesnt overlap with the hair, so the eye becomes more hmm dramatic in the original, makes the eye pop for lack of better wording. I like yours better overall, but would like to see if you redid yours with more whites/contrast and no overlap of hair and eyebrow.

Very cool control of DoF - what lens did you shot with?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Surprised no one's mentioned the high-key look on the original. I agree with most assessments, but if you're really after the original I would bump the highlights. Maybe not as much as the first, but some. Note how the original doesn't have much in the way of shadows where your version has shadow in the chin, eye, ear. If the flat look is what you seek, try bringing it up some.

Having said all that, I like yours. My comments are based on your desire to emulate the photo.

To me there is something with the eye and the contrast that is different in yours (not sure which one I prefer). But the original is much whiter and the eyebrow of the original doesnt overlap with the hair, so the eye becomes more hmm dramatic in the original, makes the eye pop for lack of better wording. I like yours better overall, but would like to see if you redid yours with more whites/contrast and no overlap of hair and eyebrow.

Very cool control of DoF - what lens did you shot with?
The voightlander 42.5 f.95 I got it for $200 and really think its fun I just need to learn its full potential.
Surprised no one's mentioned the high-key look on the original. I agree with most assessments, but if you're really after the original I would bump the highlights. Maybe not as much as the first, but some. Note how the original doesn't have much in the way of shadows where your version has shadow in the chin, eye, ear. If the flat look is what you seek, try bringing it up some.

Having said all that, I like yours. My comments are based on your desire to emulate the photo.
You're right about the lighting I shot this with window light and I think the photographer used flash . And the separation of the hair also makes a impact. Thanks

I spoke to a couple of women and they all seem to think that the makeup would be really tricky ie.not interested , (looks like I dodged a bullet on that cross dressing career :thumbup:)but I will carry on.

Here's my go at a high-key-style edit (which was suggested by @Brownie).

P1280017-2.jpg

Equable

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rod
@Acraftman, having studied the photo you wish to emulate, I think there is more going on here than shallow depth of field/photoshop trickery. Could a soft focus lens have been used? Surely more than Vaseline smeared around the outside of the lens/filter.
I liked yours by the way, prefer the eye contact. More intimate less Vogue ad sort of thing, just my view, of course.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom