1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Gnarly Mossy Trees : Improve?

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by Ulfric M Douglas, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I took these three slightly different shots with different cameras last Sunday.
    I personally like them all but ... what will please the viewer more? As they are?
    Photoshopped?
    Something else?
    Panny G1 Kit14-45Lens OOC
    [​IMG]
    Oly e-600 Kit14-42Lens OOC
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I personally prefer your first capture - there's just a better balance of lighting going on.

Cheers

Brian

3. pointoneeight

pointoneeight Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Brighton, UK
    Wow we are all on the mossy tree tip this week :)  Must be something in the air...

I'm with brian, its the first one for me. The balance of light and colour is enough to make out the varying shades of green in the trees and background. I like the blurred background in the second, but the lighting isn't as good for me.

4. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Nice capture....I agree with Brian, I like the first one.

One modification I might try is to try to vignette/burn/darken the upper corners (remembering that our eyes are drawn to the light...and we want to focus on the tree in the foreground).

Try to do this without further darkening the tree....in fact you might try to slightly lighten the tree....perhaps saturate the greens and sharpen.

Just a suggestion.....it is a nice image.

R

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Thanks Rich, looking again that top edge has too much light coming through from the sky, drawing my eyes upward ... great you pointed that stuff out.
    I'll post a variously darkened version later ... but as for sharpening : reduced to 1200 pixels like this looks sharp enough, and it is a mossy tree after all. I'll post a couple of versions ... but that's all done on the comp downstairs which isn't on right now ... and I'm tired and eating pizza.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I just realised : my adapter just came yesterday so I can try the lens from the second pic on the cam from the first pic .. bingo! (maybe)

[​IMG]
    And (un)sharpened
    [​IMG]

6. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    The first one looks more balanced and detailed than the other two. The second one has more contrast and the DOF is more shallow (so it looks), focused on the small branches in front, which makes the larger mossy branches blurred. It also makes the tree stand out more against the background, which looks a bit too full of distracting elements in the first shot. Maybe you could try with the 50mm lens at a wide aperture but focused on the trunk.

Just my two cents!

7. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Ulfric.....that first image is a nice improvement. :thumbup:

Keep shooting....and then shoot so more.....with digital cameras, it is amazing how quickly we improve.

The one resolution I made for this year is just SHOOT. I feel like I was always looking for that best shot.....but as I shoot more, I am realizing that those best shots were always there, but I just didn't "see" them.

R

8. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Rich, completely agree... that's why we're doing the PAD :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

9. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I know Brian......I am still somewhat intimidated by PAD.....

AND have an incredible amount of admiration for those doing it. :th_salute:

Soon maybe.....R

10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Rich, really you shouldn't feel intimidated... we have a wonderful support group going on - you would be really welcome :friends:

All the motivation to deliver comes from within - I'm really blown away by the effectiveness of this group approach. :yahoo:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Rich, are you intimidated by the commitment of time - because you have nothing to be intimidated by from the other humans in there. I do solemnly swear to put a choke collar on any member who oversteps the bounds of propriety.:wink: I'm kidding. It's a very friendly group and as one goes along one does "get to know" the personalities involved..and understand a bit about where each is coming from.

If you read the "testaments" on the Day 30 Review sticky and I think you'll see that a wide variety of of people with different backgrounds feel it has been worth while. Does that mean every day produces the best photo ever? No, but it does get us out there and encourages us. Take a look and give it a shot. Someone else is on day one right now.:biggrin:

12. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    such a great subject , ive been confronted before with striking images that my brain sees but nature and the camera dont duplicate to my wishes. sometimes the busyness behind the main subject is too active sometimes the tonality of everything is so the same , etc its really tough ........

personally im frequently at a loss as to how to make a photo of landscapes and nature
    trancend simply what it is and become , greater than the sum of its parts, make it special and distinct

i think you are off to a good start , the branches are so expressive and the moss
    is mysterious and lends a textural dimension rarely seen on trees

i wish i could offer some thing more constructive, but my post process skills are very poor
    i might suggest shooting the subject at dawn or dusk with a tripod sometimes the quality of the light is quite magical at such times but is very fleeting , or perhap varying the subjects position or chromatic qualities

i find trees in dense woods very difficult to shoot , so all the best and persevere...

cheers

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    BB......thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I will certainly give this some thought.

R

• Like Like x 1
  14. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

You're more than welcome Rich.

Ulfric, I apologize for not responding to your photos on your thread yesterday. I think between these last two go rounds that the first one works the best. I also feel very much along the lines of cosinaphile... If the image is complex with many layers, such as this one of yours, I find it very difficult to capture what I saw. My brain is clearly much more adept at processing images than my camera...or at least the way I use my camera.:redface: I am also not much of a PPer.

I think you're doing very well here. Rich's advice about the vignetting was a good one and seems to have worked quite well.:thumbup:

I don't really feel qualified to offer advice on how to improve anyone's photos...but I do feel I can offer encouragement and understanding with regard to the challenges.

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'm looking forward to using the best of two worlds down the burn next time : my Cosinon50mm (was on the e410) and the G1 : which produced the nicest balance of colours and light for that shot. With the 50mm I should be able to get a variety of focus planes : on the branches, on the trunk and the like.

We've had a heavy cold and the weather got a bit dismal so no shooting today... apart from me messing with my old 70-300 fungus-special on the G1.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.