1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GM5 Thumb Grip

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by D MATIC, Sep 10, 2015.

1. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I was never a fan of add-on hot-shoe thumb grips. But after handling another camera with it, I decided to purchase one for my GM5. In hindsight I could have just purchased a cheaper generic version. But I really like this COTTA version you can buy from Japan, and they will ship to USA. It's much more pricey than the generic version. (Do not buy Cotta off ebay. They are charging double)

Handling is night and day. I can easily one hand the camera even with larger lenses with no problem. In fact, I started to use my larger lenses more often then my smaller set.

I also added pics to this thread of the Gariz GM1 half case and the Sunwayfoto GM1 grip to show that they do indeed fit the GM5.

gm5-thumb-grip-1.
    75, 25, hoods, GM5, Cotta thumb grip

gm5-thumb-grip-2.
    Hot-shoe thumb-grip

gm5-thumb-grip-3.
    Gariz half-case GM1 fits GM5

gm5-thumb-grip-4.
    Sunwayfoto GM1 grip fits GM5

gm5-thumb-grip-5.
    GM5 "handstand"

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    For some reaon I can't see the photos on my work computer...

I saw Cotta's very nice but very expensive half cases for the GM5 on eBay, they do appear to be a good brand.

3. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I see it on mine and I just checked my iPhone. Working. Maybe a conflict with the image hosting provider and work computer?

4. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Probably. I'll check on my smartphone :)

5. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Looks good! How necessary do you find the thumb grip? And does it land in the right spot? I think I'm good with the built in thumb grip, but that might be nice, especially with larger lenses. The Gariz case looks great as well.

6. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    It's one of those things that once you use it, you wont want to go back with out it. I was fine with out it before I used it. But after using it for a few weeks, then removing it I found it very difficult to use the GM5 especially with larger lenses like the 75mm. Now I "need" to have it on. When its on, there is a lot less strain on all your fingers. You are no longer concerned with giving the camera a death grip so it doesn't slip out of your hands and you concentrate more on taking photos.

There is one negative. The click wheel will be harder to access since it falls right below the bar. It works, but it is harder to use.

7. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Interesting. I may have to give it a try. I like using the Oly VF1 optical finder on the hotshoe with my 17mm f2.8, but as that's no good for my larger lenses, maybe I should give the thumb grip a try.

8. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Looks great. If I had a GM5, I'd buy that COTTA thumb grip for sure.

9. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Perhaps you need to look at how you're holding the camera are you trying to support the weight by holding onto the body only? With larger lenses you should be supporting the weight with your left hand underneath the centre of gravity, so there shouldn't be any 'death grip' with the right hand. I was using my GM5 with the Panasonic 100-300mm a couple of days ago and my right hand was just as relaxed as when I was using the 12-32mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I hear you what you are saying and I agree. And yes larger lenses you would essentially "2-hand" the camera and support the lens. Sorry I must have written my previous post wrong, I had no problems with the GM5 (and my older GM1) "before" I got the Cotta thumb grip.

It's what happens "after" you get the thumb grip. All of a sudden you can "1-hand" the camera with a heavy lens like the 75mm with so much ease that if you do take off the thumb-grip you are now essentially afraid the camera may slip out of your hands. The normal thumb grip on the GM5 is very close to the right edge. That makes your thumb position right next to your index finger and you are actually "pinch" gripping the camera. With the Cotta grip, it moves your thumb farther and higher and that creates a lot of leverage. It's hard to explain in words, but it feels a lot different.

11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I am a huge, huge fan of thumb-grip accessories.

I have one for both my GX1 and GX7, and consider them indispensable. I find the handling with them to be better than on cameras with much deeper, bulkier front grips. It's a great way to balance a heavy lens on a small body.

What I wish is that a manufacturer would just add a folding thumb-grip integral to the body so that I don't need to monopolize my hot-shoe and it can take up a little bit less space while in a bag. Not that I have any accessory flashes anyway, but still....

12. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    How do you find the sunwayphoto grip with the GM5 (withouth the thumb grip)? Does extrude enough to make it comfortable to hold. Does it provide enough extra length, so that larger lenses can be mounted on tripod?

13. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

Great post, D MATIC. I just purchased a GM5 and am considering a thumb grip - either a Cotta or a Fotodiox. Am wondering how your ongoing experience with yours is or has been?