GM5 - SideKick to my A7ii

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Activator, May 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Activator

Activator Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 30, 2010
    Brooklyn
    I was an early adopter of Micro Four Thirds back in 2009. I sold off my Canon 5DII and L lenses after I purchased the little GF1. It was a revelation. I enjoyed Micro Four Thirds for a few years (GH2, OM-D E-M5), then took a detour into Fuji Land for about 3 years. Last fall, I checked out a Sony A7ii, and decided it was everything I wanted and needed in a camera body. For me, getting back to full frame is yet another revelation. I am currently using the A7ii with adapted manual focus lenses (mostly Contax C/Y), and only have one AF lens (FE 55/1.8).

I do a LOT of walking around NYC (150+ miles/month), and I decided that wanted a smaller, lighter, but still high quality ILC body that could be stowed in a pocket or very small bag. It had to have an MFT sensor or better, and an EVF. I was going to go for the new Pen F, which is amazing, but it is nearly as big as the A7ii. I eventually discovered the Panasonic GM5, which fit the bill perfectly! Reminds me of the GF1. :)

I am having a blast using the GM5 with the Pana 42.5/1.7, as well as with my manual focus lenses. It's not going to replace the A7ii, but I will probably take the GM5 out more often, and I won't be worried about losing much, if any, IQ. I've done some side-by-side comparisons, and it's closer that I would think. MFT has come a long way! About the ONLY thing it is missing for me, is IBIS. But the small body size is worth the omission. A GM7 with 20mp and IBIS would be the dream.

Photos below are all with the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7. An amazing all-around lens, and perfect for the type of photography I like to do. 85mm (equivalent) is my favorite FOV, and the close-focus ability of the 42.5 is perfect for flowers and other details. I really don't need a dedicated "macro" lens - the 42.5 gets close enough, and has truly incredible IQ and rendering.

Pana 42.5 f/1.7, all wide open on a GM5.
    P1000021.jpg

P1000039.jpg

P1000059.jpg

P1000221.jpg

P1000247.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  2. Activator

Activator Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 30, 2010
    Brooklyn
    And a few with a Zeiss Contax 85mm f/2.8 Sonnar (C/Y mount). All with the GM5 and all at f/2.8. These were taken in Brooklyn Bridge Park and Brooklyn Heights.

P1000329.jpg

P1000344.jpg

P1000347.jpg

P1000350.jpg

P1000353.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  3. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Welcome back to the Dark Side... We have cookies, you know...? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Those are great! I love my GM5, but my new GX85 has a lot of what we wish the GM5 had.

I can see a GX8 replacement not too far off, hopefully a little smaller than the GX8 and more metal than the GX85, but I doubt IBIS will make it into something as small as the GM5.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Mu-43 app

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.