GM5 - SideKick to my A7ii

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Activator, May 25, 2016.

1. Activator

Activator Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 30, 2010
    I was an early adopter of Micro Four Thirds back in 2009. I sold off my Canon 5DII and L lenses after I purchased the little GF1. It was a revelation. I enjoyed Micro Four Thirds for a few years (GH2, OM-D E-M5), then took a detour into Fuji Land for about 3 years. Last fall, I checked out a Sony A7ii, and decided it was everything I wanted and needed in a camera body. For me, getting back to full frame is yet another revelation. I am currently using the A7ii with adapted manual focus lenses (mostly Contax C/Y), and only have one AF lens (FE 55/1.8).

I do a LOT of walking around NYC (150+ miles/month), and I decided that wanted a smaller, lighter, but still high quality ILC body that could be stowed in a pocket or very small bag. It had to have an MFT sensor or better, and an EVF. I was going to go for the new Pen F, which is amazing, but it is nearly as big as the A7ii. I eventually discovered the Panasonic GM5, which fit the bill perfectly! Reminds me of the GF1. :)

I am having a blast using the GM5 with the Pana 42.5/1.7, as well as with my manual focus lenses. It's not going to replace the A7ii, but I will probably take the GM5 out more often, and I won't be worried about losing much, if any, IQ. I've done some side-by-side comparisons, and it's closer that I would think. MFT has come a long way! About the ONLY thing it is missing for me, is IBIS. But the small body size is worth the omission. A GM7 with 20mp and IBIS would be the dream.

Photos below are all with the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7. An amazing all-around lens, and perfect for the type of photography I like to do. 85mm (equivalent) is my favorite FOV, and the close-focus ability of the 42.5 is perfect for flowers and other details. I really don't need a dedicated "macro" lens - the 42.5 gets close enough, and has truly incredible IQ and rendering.

Pana 42.5 f/1.7, all wide open on a GM5.

• Like Like x 13
  2. Activator

Activator Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 30, 2010
    And a few with a Zeiss Contax 85mm f/2.8 Sonnar (C/Y mount). All with the GM5 and all at f/2.8. These were taken in Brooklyn Bridge Park and Brooklyn Heights.

• Like Like x 8
  3. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 9, 2014
    The Desert - Western Australia
    Welcome back to the Dark Side... We have cookies, you know...? :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Those are great! I love my GM5, but my new GX85 has a lot of what we wish the GM5 had.

I can see a GX8 replacement not too far off, hopefully a little smaller than the GX8 and more metal than the GX85, but I doubt IBIS will make it into something as small as the GM5.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Mu-43 app
    • Like Like x 1