1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GM5 locking up

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ricoh, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    It's happened on two occasions, the camera stops responding to any of the control buttons, LCD and EVF go blank as well. The power on LED remains lit, but the on/off switch has no effect. The only way to recover is to remove the battery temporarily.
    Anyone else had this? It sounds like a return to Panasonic or their agent.

2. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Return it, sound like a fault, I've had no problems with mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Is it with one particular lens? Could be a connection issue.

4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I had something like this happen once... I think it had something to do with the wifi connection

5. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I have the 15/f1.7 permanently attached, as delivered, so can't say whether it's lens dependent.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Your signature shows several lenses, so this seems like something you could test by trying a different lens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Oh, that's interesting, it's possible that I'm not alone.
    I've not tried using the wifi, I'm a basic user, f stop, shutter speed and ISO, all in RAW.

8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Yes indeed but it's an intermittent fault. What sort of relationship between lens and body could possibly cause this, I wonder? Perhaps if I disconnect the lens next time see if the body starts working again - what do you think?

9. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    I think his point was that if there was a connection/communication issue that cause a disconnect between the camera and lens, that issue might be enough to make the camera unresponsive/locked up. Once it is locked up already, I would be surprised if taking the lens off would reset things but you ought to give it a try. It might work.

10. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I'll wait for the next occurrence and give the lens disconnect a go. If my understanding is correct, the signals are disconnected when the lens release button is pressed inwards (probably the power, since once that's severed everything is passive, but there could be a resistive tell-back still active, I suppose) which should be equivalent to physical disconnection of the lens. I'll try both, not much to loose as the camera and/or lens will be going back for rectification (the camera with the 15mm attached was purchased in March this year).