GM5 is discontinued at B&H

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by drd1135, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It will be interesting to see what they do with the GM7 or whatever the next model is going to be called.

The GM5 was clearly developed as a minor modification to the GM1 sharing all the same internal components and processing and almost the whole chassis. So this will be the first "version 2.0" evolution of the GM concept, which was really pretty revolutionary when it appeared, in my opinion...
  2. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    I'll believe it when you can no longer buy one :) I remember similar stories about the GX7 being discontinued, at least 18 months ago, but it's still available.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I don't think it's true. Still 3 months to February.
    Looks like an excuse for being out of stock in holidays season.
  4. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    though the red gm5 is still in stock in b&h...

anyway, i'll have to wait which would be a better upgrade, the gm5 successor or the new pen. ;)
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

GM5 successor will be tiny as before, new PEN is probably bigger with IBIS. The one thing I really hate about the GM5 is that silly shutter that only goes to 1/500s mechanical, reduced bit depth with electronic shutter, only 1/50s flash sync, and won't do mechanical at all with manual lenses like the 7.5FE!
  6. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    If I was being cynical, I'd suspect this was an (all too common) dodgy business practice to persuade you to buy something else while they're having trouble obtaining stock. If I was being cynical, that is...
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Both Adorama and B&H list it as discontinued. Certain colors are still available.