GM5 Flash Sync speed

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Clint, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    The manual and web sites have the Flash Sync at 1/50 sec. Yet in several post on this site people mention 1/160th.

What is the correct sync speed and can the camera use FP Flash/Super FP Flash/HSS?

I really like the idea of a small nearly pocketable camera. However I've almost purchased the camera and 12-32mm lens several times, but then remember the 1/50th synch speed and then back out of the purchase.
  2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    Official UK Panasonic site lists 1/50. Interesting that you're getting different numbers -- maybe different ratings depending on electronic vs. mechanical shutter?
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Yep 1/50 max. Limitation of the shutter mechanism used. This and the maximum mechanical shutter speed of 1/500 (anything above is electronic shutter) are the two main drawbacks for me.
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Flash only works in mechanical shutter mode, at a pathetic sync speed of 1/50s. It also doesn't support HSS at all, if you get a flash that does and switch it to HSS it will look like all is good but the camera will lie, refuse to actually apply HSS and your shot will come out looking exactly as it does at 1/50s. The GM/GFs with that stepper motor shutter are not for strobists.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2