1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GM5 discontinued?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Akashi, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Hi,

I read on a blog that GM5 was discontinued by Panasonic. Anyone know if there is any truth in that?

2. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I'm fairly sure this is true as nearly all outlets are no longer selling it.

This is a real shame, especially of they are not going to produce a follow up model as I was interested in this small form.

3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I can see that the GM5 might not sell nearly as well as the larger bodies do, leading to being discontinued. I have one and I like having it for the rare occasion where the tiny size is helpful, but mine does not get much use at all. My GX7, GX8, Pen-F, and E-P5 see much more use. That said, the images the GM5 produces are the equal of the bigger bodies, which is pretty cool.

4. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    I have a GM1 which I enjoy taking on travels. Pretty impressed with the IQ, but I probably want a viewfinder and some better ergonomics - hence the GM5. Sadly I think it is a bit to expensive and was waiting for it to come down a bit. But if it is getting discontinued then I need to decide now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    It was posted here a while back. GM1/5 are my favorite m43 cameras due to size which makes them unique in the market. They were on clearance sale for a while so you have to look for a shop that still has stock eg Adorama in US. It looks like Panasonic goes for the bigger bodies with gx8/gx80 releases...

6. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    It did come down in price - I bought one new at Adorama for $440 on Feb.29 (it was selling for $900 awhile ago). They still have it (now at $500), although they seem to be one of the few stores that still have it. I don't know about the situation in Norway, of course. But if you want it, now would be the time, if you can find it.

I really like it. It complements my E-M10 as a 2nd body. For example, I carry the E-M10 with a 12-35 plus the GM5 with a Rokinon fisheye or m4/3 9-18. No lens switching and still not much to carry. :)

7. BosseBe

BosseBe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
  8. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I see discontinued signs on the GM1 at Adorama and such - so I'd think that was probably a typo. I'm a fan of tiny cams too but the ePM2 is sufficiently so for now.

9. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Norway here, I bought stuff from Cyberphoto before. I just dont know if it is worth it to upgrade the GM1. I could sell it I guess and get away with around 3000 NOK I guess..but not sure and I just bought the GX8. Well thats life I guess, decision decisions... :)

10. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    It looks like Adorama still has stock of the GM1/5. Looks like the GF7 is gone as well.

11. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    For me, the addition of the viewfinder is a huge improvement over the GM1. In fact, I don't think I would have bought the GM5 if it didn't have a VF. But that's just me...

You could check out the DPReview review, where they compare the two:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Review

I should have mentioned above that the GM5 I bought at the end of Feb from Adorama for $440 came with the regular 12-32 kit lens. I couldn't pass it up!!

12. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The GM5 with 12-32 is a superb tiny little piece of work. Having the EVF is very important to me, so I passed on the GM1.

Though I'm happy to have the GM5, I don't use it much. At this rate, it might last me forever... as long as I can replace the battery - if I ever needed to. For long-term usability, might be wise to invest in a couple of extra batteries in case they become unavailable.

One thing about these Li-Ion batteries, keep them with a charge and top them off whenever you can. They will last longer that way and don't have a 'memory' like ni-cad cells do. It's hard on the battery to deplete it fully. Topping it off when possible is better for it than running it all the way down. And if you do run it all the way down, don't leave it in that state for any longer than you have to. Charge it up right away. Lastly, if you don't intend to use a li-ion battery for an extended period of time, use the battery just slightly down from full charge, then store in a cool place. They will hold safely for a long time that way.

Of course, this advice applies to all the li-ion (lithium-ion rechargeable) batteries that you may have and use in cameras, computers, etc.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    I swapped my GX7 for a GM5 soon after they were released (loved the GX7 though), I knew/guessed I would take the GM5 with me more often due to it's coat pocket ability. I was right! I take the GM5 out with me far more than any camera I've owned, often just clipped on to my trousers belt loop with a pancake lens attached.

There are other m43 cameras I would really like to have, but I know they would see way less use than the GM5 so I'm not planning on buying them. For as long the GM5 is taking photos as good as any M43 camera, I'm unlikely to buy a bigger body. But I'd buy a similar sized GM6 with bigger EVF.

14. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    There's a rumor about a GM7 that I have seen online. I think they'd be foolish to just drop the whole model line. I mean, it does fill a need. Of course, Canon seems to have dropped the SL1 line of small DSLRs, and I think that it very useful too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I just got a used GM1 and like it a lot. The GM5 seems to improve on some key things, including an EVF. Yeah, prices are still high. I'll just be patient and enjoy my GM1 for a year and wait...

16. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    My plan exactly! I also bought it used, but I think I´ll hang on to it for now if not a used GM5 appears. I also am tempted to use another system, perhaps a X-E2/X100S which I know is bigger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. grog

grog Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 30, 2015
    I was actually thinking about picking up a used GM5 recently. How would the handling be if something like a GM1 or GM5 were used with a telephoto lens like a 45-175?

18. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I found the 45-175 okay on both GMs since the lens is so light and doesn't extend, but then I had the Franiec grip on the GM1 and the GM5 has a better grip anyway. It still feels a bit weird though, you're basically handling a lens with a back.

19. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    That's true of any large lens on any system. Once the lens is over a certain size/weight, you support the lens and the body is mostly just there for the controls and viewfinder :)
    If you can get your head round that concept then it's not a problem to use the GM5 with even bigger lenses. I've used it with the 100-300mm, and found it was just fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Cooleye

Cooleye New to Mu-43

Apr 6, 2016
    Hi all,

A newbie at M43 cameras and bought my very first, the GM5, last weekend for USD$500 (with 12-32 kit lens). Must say loving the smaller form factor and the image quality are amazing. I hope Panasonic will continue the GM line, they certainly would cater for users that prefer smaller camera size (Pentax Q anyone?)

So My question is, what is a good starter prime lens to get? I heard good things about the Olympus 25mm/F1.8, something which shoots buttery bokeh...

Cheers,
    Roger